Coby Kyros 7024 running a modified Official Kyros 8024 firmware :)

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
References, please?

More references, link to the GB bootloader, and more info about what exactly you have changed and what may not work with MID1024.

Thanks! ;)

You can get the bootloader from this ROM:
[ROM] Evolution 2.0 R4 Updated [14/09 - Vacation until 23rd] - SlateDroid.com

You need the files set_bootargs, u-boot.bin, u-boot.arg, and u-boot-sd.bin. (maybe only u-boot.bin is needed? I'm not sure)

Go through each file and change:
camera=gc0308 to camera=hi704

The lcd value is already correct for the MID7024.

For the MID1024, you'll also have to change (according to flxrms's earlier post):
lcd=ut7gm to lcd=lp101

Then place the files in the official firmware update, overwriting the original u-boot.bin

As far as I know, this hasn't been tested on a MID1024 yet. So try at your own risk.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Ooops... Didn't work. Now the tablet won't turn on. It will keep the buttons lighten only while the power button is pressed (like someone else with a 7024 showed in a vid, I think).

Looks like u-boot is read first (I thought it was recovery). I simply tossed the modified u-boot.bin in the stock firmware recovery... Now what? How do I get fastboot or there is no way? :(

dutorito

Sep 19, 2011
Hey guys, great news, i did some modifications at this rom provided by flxrms to work on mid 1024 devices...

got great news, its working!
finally got it working, all buttons working, touch screen working... i will run atuntu benchmark and post the results here soon... then i will try to fix some minor issues and up the rom and post link here....

cya bros and keep up the great work!

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
Hey guys, great news, i did some modifications at this rom provided by flxrms to work on mid 1024 devices...

finally got it working, all buttons working, touch screen working... i will run atuntu benchmark and post the results here soon... then i will try to fix some minor issues and up the rom and post link here....

This great news will you share maybe small instruction on what you did so others may be able to create roms for this device

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Ooops... Didn't work. Now the tablet won't turn on. It will keep the buttons lighten only while the power button is pressed (like someone else with a 7024 showed in a vid, I think).

Looks like u-boot is read first (I thought it was recovery). I simply tossed the modified u-boot.bin in the stock firmware recovery... Now what? How do I get fastboot or there is no way? :(

Did you edited all 4 files?

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Yep, all of them. It seems that some u-boot.bin can "hard brick" by passing the wrong args... Now my tablet is just like this one:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nical/22773-brick-my-mid7024-not-started.html

And I see Arlic is on the same wagon as well:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-7024-gingerbread-firmware-54.html#post131563

I found this very interesting post elsewhere about a similar tablet (Herotab), but it needs to removed the main board and solder some wires:
[DEV] Custom kernel for Dropad/Herotab - SlateDroid.com - Page 7

The board can be booted from NAND or SD, maybe the ones used in Kyros too. So you boot from SD using the correct u-boot.bin and write it back to NAND so you have a normal tablet again. How to do this with a Kyros? Shall we start a new thread about it?

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
I hope this helps you [SOLVED] Flash custom ROM with ADB - xda-developers
also I put the utscript in text format so you can read maybe it will help you out once you unbrick your tablet.

Also when I bricked my 8024 I changed these settings to this
* i changed ro.secure=1 to ro.secure=0
* i changed ro.debuggable=0 to ro.debuggable=1

Attachments

• $utscript_8024.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Yep, all of them. It seems that some u-boot.bin can "hard brick" by passing the wrong args... Now my tablet is just like this one:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nical/22773-brick-my-mid7024-not-started.html

And I see Arlic is on the same wagon as well:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-7024-gingerbread-firmware-54.html#post131563

I found this very interesting post elsewhere about a similar tablet (Herotab), but it needs to removed the main board and solder some wires:
[DEV] Custom kernel for Dropad/Herotab - SlateDroid.com - Page 7

The board can be booted from NAND or SD, maybe the ones used in Kyros too. So you boot from SD using the correct u-boot.bin and write it back to NAND so you have a normal tablet again. How to do this with a Kyros? Shall we start a new thread about it?

is it ok if you can zip the files you edited and upload it? i just want to see what changes you did.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I hope this helps you [SOLVED] Flash custom ROM with ADB - xda-developers
also I put the utscript in text format so you can read maybe it will help you out once you unbrick your tablet.

Also when I bricked my 8024 I changed these settings to this
* i changed ro.secure=1 to ro.secure=0
* i changed ro.debuggable=0 to ro.debuggable=1

Thanks, but I think it doesn't work because the tablet is "hard bricked". I doesn't stay on unless you keep the power button pressed. My computer doesn't see it on USB, nor does adb. :(

is it ok if you can zip the files you edited and upload it? i just want to see what changes you did.

Sure!
GoAruna

pswd: lfom

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011

Damn, sorry to hear that.

I guess you already tried the suggestions from that bricked 7024 thread with no luck?

Hope you manage to unbrick your tablet.

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
No problem, steev... Someone needed to try that. lol

Important Info#1
u-boot-sd.bin is the file that has to be copied starting from 0x0 of SD card to boot tablet...
Do we have one that works for MID1024? The official firmware from Coby has only the normal one (for NAND)... :(

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Important Info#2
There is a password in plain text in u-boot. The one for MID1024 is "iamcoby", the one I used has "iamut". Different boards from different vendors may need different passwords. Is this that ultimately bricks the tablet if the wrong u-boot is used?

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Important Info#2
There is a password in plain text in u-boot. The one for MID1024 is "iamcoby", the one I used has "iamut". Different boards from different vendors may need different passwords. Is this that ultimately bricks the tablet if the wrong u-boot is used?

it is just use to access the bootloader from the terminal....it is not the cause of brick..i think tileg knows more about this :)

from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...s-7024-gingerbread-firmware-12.html#post97828
tileg said:
Got my bricked MID7024 working again. It took awhile but I was playing with the terminal trying to see what I could learn from the boot loader. Unfortunately I didn't get much. The boot loader password is iamcoby.

I have a modified version of the Haipad FW506 Restore image that I used. I modified it so that the boot loader was not replaced in the update process. Not sure if that is what did it or not but the camera is working with the update. Now with this file change I hope to get the home button working.

The modified recovery image can be loaded from the external SD card. I can post the file if anyone wants it.

dutorito

Sep 19, 2011

OK guys, i finished the job... im doing some tests and will post it in a few minutes

dutorito

Sep 19, 2011
Good Morning guys, im Eduardo from Brazil and im here to share my ROM with you...
First of all, sorry for my bad english... I know it sucks...

I downloaded the flxrms ROM and installed it on my 1024 but it ****ed my tablet, touch didnt worked anymore, all issues you guys already know, etc....
Luckly, theres a recovery at coby usa already... with that recovery file and flxrms rom i made alot of changes at the original firmware and im here to post the results and the file for your evaluation...

The changes i made, and the issues i fixed:
- Cleared the stock instalation, removed all crap files from Coby OFW (The apps on my ROM are: Calculator, Camera, Email, Gallery, Music, Browser, Search and Search Widget, cant remember if there are another apps... will update info later)
- LCD Density changed from 200 to 162 (High Resolution, finally looks like a tablet now!)
- Removed applib and fixed market on stock install
- Fixed Google Calendar, Google Tasks and Google Contacts
- Fixed 3G option (NOT TESTED, this is a function from the flxrms version and i dont have 3g to test it, please update ty)
- Fixed all issues with touch screen and lcd, so this ROM is FULL COMPATIBLE with 1024 devices
- Changed the boot animation to a cool one i found at xda. =D

I think this ROM is safe, i flashed my own device about 30 times today, just to test the features
I think thats all... Thanks to flxrms, who started this job, i think he did some memory optimizing, coz its running really smooth now and i really dont have a clue about advanced android programming... I mean, i just tried to fix my tablet missing functions, like sync with google stuff and i think it will help some people like me...
Enough with the talk, here's the link: CFW-1024 froyo 2.2 ver 1.0.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Like i said, im just a rookie android user, this ROM must be a joke to you guys, but i really hope it helps and i am waiting a real custom ROM to this fantastic device.
Thanks for you all who will test this ROM and who will use it to create another ones, lets make this tablet a nice device guys!