Coby kyros 7127 or 7022

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Cool constomy, what kind of battery life are you getting with this device? I'm torn between getting the 7022 or the 7127. Does anyone think Honeycomb will be ported over to these two devices? Is it up the pipeline already or will we have to wait longer or are we just SOL?

JerryScript

Mar 12, 2011
I have the 7022, and stock, it only lasted 3-5 hours depending on usage, even in standby for most of the time. Once rooted, I renamed the telephone and related apks (reboot required), and now I get 4-5 hours constant use (3-4 straight video playing), and 6-8 with light usage and leaving on standby. Constant use for me means the tablet is used by someone in the family for either browsing, emailing, watching videos, or playing games. Light usage means the kids are gone and I use it to check email and visit webpages.

Note- there is space inside for a larger battery, but I don't know if one has been used successfully. At least the option to replace the battery exists.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Oh wow, it has a user replaceable battery? THAT is awesome! That's not too bad on battery life. I get maybe 3 hours on my 6 cell battery for my laptop, but I hardly ever unplug it, I like it on my desk because its HUGE! 17.3" 17R second gen. I love it but hubby is on the market for a tablet. Now my Dell Netbook used to get in the realm of 7 hours on a charge and that was easier to tote around. After a lot of research we've decided we want a coby, he was saying he wanted a better one (Like the thrive or an A500) for a bit more cash, but then that is subject to change. LOL! :) The more I think about it the 7127 seems to be the right choice since it has the bigger battery, physical volume and home buttons and two speakers. Only time will tell which device we end up purchasing. :D The icing on the cake would be IF it's possible to upgrade it to honeycomb in the future. :D

tink1cker

Nov 6, 2011
I have the 7022, and stock, it only lasted 3-5 hours depending on usage, even in standby for most of the time. Once rooted, I renamed the telephone and related apks (reboot required), and now I get 4-5 hours constant use (3-4 straight video playing), and 6-8 with light usage and leaving on standby. Constant use for me means the tablet is used by someone in the family for either browsing, emailing, watching videos, or playing games. Light usage means the kids are gone and I use it to check email and visit webpages.

Note- there is space inside for a larger battery, but I don't know if one has been used successfully. At least the option to replace the battery exists.

* Did renaming the telephone affect the battery life? I'm assuming it did for you to mention it, or is it that it was necessary after rooting? I haven't rooted mine but I'm planning to, so I wanted to know about that.
* Are you using any battery saver apps?
* Is the battery soldered in or is it like a phone battery (pull out/push in)?
Thanks!

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
One other thing, this might be a stupid question, but is it necessary to root the 7127 in order to get the amazon app market on it and maybe the android market? What is the benefit of rooting a device? Still new to all this and not sure if we want to root a device we get or not to get it to do the things we're looking for it to do. :)

JerryScript

Mar 12, 2011
Yes, renaming the telephone related apks did significantly increase battery life!

I do not use any battery saver apps, but I do use betterbatterystats from xda to determine if/when an app is misbehaving and eating my battery up.

If I remember correctly, the battery is soldered in, but it has plenty of length on the leads for an easy swap.

Rooting gives you superuser access. In a linux environment, the superuser is like the administrator account on a windows machine. You need root in order to make changes to system apps or settings beyond those shown in the settings menus.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks Jerry! I wasn't sure what the reasoning was for rooting. Does that void a coby warranty? Anyone know?

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
One other thing, this might be a stupid question, but is it necessary to root the 7127 in order to get the amazon app market on it and maybe the android market? What is the benefit of rooting a device? Still new to all this and not sure if we want to root a device we get or not to get it to do the things we're looking for it to do. :)

Don't know if you got an answer, but you do not have to root the 7127 to get the Android or Amazon App Market. I have them both, and I am not rooted. I think it is safe to say that whatever works for the 7022 works for the 7127. AFAIK the only differences are the soft keys, volume hard key, camera and SD card position and the two (supposedly stereo) speakers.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Thank you smalcom! I don't think it had been addressed yet, thanks again for the great information. If my hubby changes his mind and we get a 7" device it will be this model. I like it a lot, but he's mentioned he thinks he wants the bigger 10" screen so it's the 1125 for him! ;)

crazythunder

Dec 5, 2011
i just got the 7127. rooted it. when i went to dump the stock recovery, it didn't save to the sdcard. i then installed cwm5. now i have a couple of issues. the only way i can get to recovery is by using droid explorer from within windows. how do i boot to recovery from within the tab? vol up or down and power takes me to fastboot.
also, does anyone think the 7022 stock recovery would work? i've been on android since day one of the g1 and have done many dangerous things lol, "haykuro death spl etc", so i might just try it for the hell of it.