Coby kyros - how to root

Lizasen

Oct 1, 2013
I have a coby kyros mid 8042 and I need to root it. I need the simplest instructions because I'm a dummy to these things.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
No one needs to root their device. They want to root their device. That said, if you want to root your device, the link in my signature is a good place to start. However, while you will have no problem rooting, you may wish to hold off attempting to do more than that. Newer Generation 3 tablets have what is called a nand lock. In simple language, attempting to modify the tablet by adding things like a custom recovery image or the Play Store renders the tablet unusable.

Since I currently don't know if our developers have successfully bypassed the lock, you don't want to do too much with you tablet at this time.

Thread moved to Coby Generation 3, where you're likely to learn a lot more.

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
I have a coby kyros mid 8042 and I need to root it. I need the simplest instructions because I'm a dummy to these things.
well Traveller1701 is right but if you know when your 8042 was made, eg if it's the same build as mine or as stated has a nand lock we could have progress.
Point is how to know if there is a nand lock present?.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Point is how to know if there is a nand lock present?.

With tablet running in desktop mode

adb shell

lsmod

If nand is running then this is nand lock. A special recovery needs to be built for this device. If nand is running don't flash any current recoveries or any rom that has a boot.img. also upload your recovery.img and boot.img asap. I need them to make a special recovery for this device.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 Android Tablet

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
Well there you have it.
I must say hats off for you vampirefo for standing ready and open to help us here.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Since I currently don't know if our developers have successfully bypassed the lock, you don't want to do too much with you tablet at this time.
The only way to get passed is by using livesuite. However if I can get a stock recovery.img and boot.img I can can make a cwm recovery that will work on them.
The downside is the special recovery must be installed before the nand gets locked. If user roots then installs special recovery all is well, but if user installs regular cwm recovery can't fix that without livesuite.
Right now we don't have any recoveries for nand lock, people who have this on their tablet needs to root their tablet make a dump and upload it. They shouldn't flash anything til I can make a special recovery using their dump files.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 Android Tablet