Coby Kyros MID-7035-4 Root Instructions

reynzard

Jul 25, 2012
Hello all,
I recently received this tablet as a gift, and the only thing i have found that i didn't like, was the inability to root. I have been skimming forums everywhere, for lots of different devices to find a method that works, and today i found one, or rather hacked a combination of a few together. The two threads i got tools from to make this were http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ment/41398-google-play-coby-kyros-1042-a.html (for the 1042 root tools and dumper) and [ROOT][ICS][Locked bootloader] for ics 4.0.3, baseband .562, found on ARC development - xda-developers (for the actual file system unlocking). I, in no way, intend to take credits from the original creators.

WARNING: I am not responsible if you brick your device, it's always a risk.

Instructions:
To root your device, simply run the Root.bat, after your device restarts each time, you will (I had to) need to re-enable USB Debugging (Setting->Development->USB Debugging). When the final line has come up ("Press any key to exit and have fun with your rooted phone.") your device will restart one last time, and when it comes back up, try to run a root app. If it asks to allow, then you are now rooted, you should now update the su binary via SuperUser.

If the rooting doesn't take you will need to download Yaffs Explorer,run it, then navigate to /System/xbin/. From there find su, click and hold it, a menu will pop up. On the menu press execute, then select "as root" and hit run. You should now get a popup from SuperUser.

If you have any problems reply here, and i will try to help as much as possible.

Download:
Kyros7035root.zip

generalwrex

Jul 29, 2012
im getting an error in the program

Press any key to continue . . .uid=0 gid=0
Wait until reboot is fully complete and when phone asks for sim lo
password, press any key.
Press any key to continue . . .
remount succeeded
push: data/Superuser.apk -> /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
push: data/su -> /data/local/tmp/su
push: data/root.sh -> /data/local/tmp/root.sh
push: data/mempodroid -> /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
push: data/dump.sh -> /data/local/tmp/dump.sh
5 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
2424 KB/s (876538 bytes in 0.353s)
'adb.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'adb.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Removing changes except ROOT
Press any key to exit and have fun with your rooted phone.

I went into the batch file and noticed it said adb.exe instead of files/adb, it didn't root.

I renamed it. I am now trying to root it again, will reply if it worked or not :)

It didn't root properly, the files are all there, i tried to use YAffs to run su and when i hit Go nothing pops up.

Superuser did pop up in the apps list, and it runs, but other programs cant access it and i still cant get root access from ES file explorer.

Last edited:

generalwrex

Jul 29, 2012
Maybe try the root that was posted here
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/43624-root-mid7035.html
I was able to root my device with it. The methods seem a bit different but similar. You can probably use the adb files in the package above for the one listed in the link.

Trying this now, thanks for the link, have you managed to run gapps on it yet?

Rooting...Start Rooting...
reboot #1 - Do not disconnect the device, when it comes back on - reenable usb d
ebugging and wait
reboot #2 - Do not disconnect the device, when it comes back on - reenable usb d
ebugging and wait
remount succeeded
1985 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.011s)
2695 KB/s (289869 bytes in 0.105s)
2387 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.345s)
3051 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.344s)
2099+1 records in
2099+1 records out
1075144 bytes (1.0MB) copied, 0.061196 seconds, 16.8MB/s
2099+1 records in
2099+1 records out
1075144 bytes (1.0MB) copied, 0.088458 seconds, 11.6MB/s
dd: can't open '/system/_install/bin/busybox': Text file busy
Should be done now. su command from an ADB shell or terminal should give root ac
cess. The Super user and Root explorer apps should work fine.

poped up with superuser has stopped responding on the tablet, but it did root it! Root explorer has root access, thanks alot Folken :)

do you know how to get into the recovery mode?

Last edited:

generalwrex

Jul 29, 2012
heh
i bricked it copying some files to the system directory, returning it for replacement, place i ordered it from takes things back no questions asked.

Folken

Jul 18, 2012
I am trying to get gapps on it now. So far I have been unsuccessful in getting it to work in that it crashes every launch. Setting some verbose logging is telling me that

V/AccountManagerService( 1331): there is no authenticator for com.google, bailing out

So I am wondering if it is as simple as just adding com.google to the devices authenticator.xml. I can not try right now since I forgot to charge the tablet.

To get to where I am at I have used a combination of Patriotswrath instructions here

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-coby-generation-3-devices-12.html#post207066

and the xmlfile mentioned form here

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-coby-generation-3-devices-13.html#post207102

But I could not use Android commander as it would never launch properly and even remounting the file system adb push was not working either. So I copied everything onto the SDCard and then shelled in and copied everything into its location using the shell commands. Not sure if this is causing me some permissions problems with the apps but those can be tweaked manually if I see UID errors.

What did you copy to your system to brick the device? I am curious so I do not do that either.
I am currently trying to get a backup script put together, but am having some issues as mentioned in one of the backup threads here. I also have a note out to Coby to see if I can get some stock firmware, but I highly doubt they will send me anything. Glad you at least have the ability to send your bricked device back.

generalwrex

Jul 29, 2012
I used Root explorer to copy some google apps to the system/app dir, then the tablet froze, so I hit the reset button on the back, rebooted it and its stuck on an endless Coby logo, restarts itself, then get stuck on Coby again.

I cant find out how to enter the recovery menu, Holding Home + vol up and power just starts it up normally

Holding vol down and pressing power turns the tablet into a mass storage device with 512mb of space ( i think it mounted the ram heh)

holding vol up, then putting in the usb cable, and pressing power 5-10 times does absolutely nothing.

holding the round button on the front, and holding vol up, then pressing and holding power for 30 seconds doesn't do anything either.

Do you know how to enter it?

Last edited:

renshai

Aug 11, 2012
I am new to this so please bare (bear?) with me. I can't seem to get the adb to recognize my tablet (Coby MID7035). Running MS Vista and the computer recognizes the tablet and installs the drivers but all I get is Device Not Found when I run the batch file. Even when I use adb devices nothing is returned in the list. Any suggestions?

renshai

Aug 11, 2012
Never mind. Just needed to update the driver. It appears to have worked now. Will try to add Google Apps next. Thx

boostczar53

Sep 1, 2012
I think I have correctly Rooted my 7035, I still cannot install google play? It crashes every time I try to open it, can I get some newb help from somebody on what I did wrong?

JDICEMAN

Aug 24, 2012
OK I Rooted the thing and I Cannot get google play to work. I Know someone told me. that Google framework has to be installed else where but I Dont even know where to begin to get it installed I mean i want google play thats why i rooted my device. am i missing something.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You don't install the core Google Apps like other apps. They must be copied to \system\app or \data\app, as appropriate. Read this blog post and follow along with steps 2B and 3.

kyle278

Oct 18, 2012
I just got this Tablet Can some one make a step by step youtube video for how to root this tablet. im new to android

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you're running Windows, I made a root tool in the Development Index sticky that will get you rooted.

If you need drivers for ADB, they can be found in the Generation 3 Technical forum.

If one of your fellow 703x users wishes to post a video, that's up to them. But unless they choose to do so you'll have to go through the process the same way all of them did, by reading and understanding things. I personally believe videos to be an inadequate tool for actually understanding the whole process. And it's the understanding that makes the act of doing much more gratifying.

androideum

Nov 7, 2012
Thank you very much. That worked for me, too (Coby Kyros 7033)
But first I had to install the correct driver on Windows Vista to get the Android Device recognized, not only as usb-storage, step by step:

1. Download and install The Java Development Kit
  2. Download and unzip the android-sdk file to the C: drive on your computer: Android SDK | Android Developers
  3. Go to the android-sdk-windows folder that you unzipped
  4. Launch SDKManager.exe
  5. Under choose which package to install, click accept all. As a part of what it is downloading, it will download the Android USB drivers. This part will probably take like 30 minutes or more to complete.
  6. If the download of the xml-Files doesn't work, maybe you have to configure or stop the additional firewall, in my case zonealarm
  7. Once the download is done, close the SDK Manager.
  8. You should now find a folder called usb_driver.
  9. Plug in your Kyros device. If Windows still does not find the driver for the device, go into the Device manager, and select Android-Device and update driver, browse my computer, let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  10. Get the Droid Explorer for your Windows PC
  11. Make sure your KYROS is connected to the PC and launch DROID Explorer.
  12. Now you can uninstall apps or install apps.