Coby Kyros MID1060

r54

Jun 5, 2013
Hi Yuri, have you got the firmware for coby kyros mid1060?
Unfortunately, no. Nowhere can not find it. I tried to install a completely any firmware that is on the Internet. Nothing is impossible.
tried to install the firmware for aml8726-mx platform - did not help.
Constantly pops up the same error message - E:signature verification failes -> Installation aborted
No flash - there is a brick :)

I can not understand - what he wants to signature?

r54

Jun 5, 2013
You would need to have someone with a good 1060 to make backup their firmware and give it to you.

I ask people to respond Coby Kyros Mid1060-8. Who has a good working tablet.
Please make a backup copy of the firmware Coby. I'm in the Ukraine can not find willing to help me. People are afraid to lose your warranty and do not want to put root.

r54

Jun 5, 2013
Unfortunately nothing happened.
Patch Set normal. but the tablet did not work. Once loaded only recovery mode. The digital signature corresponds to the model.

uZveruga

Oct 17, 2013
It's a small world. :) I bought this tablet from this guy and I fixed it.
I've learned how to use recovery mode. I made "update.zip" file with a script, which fixed the rights on the 'system" folder.
(If somebody interested - below is the code of the "updater-script")
Code:
ui_print("Fixing wrong system rights...");
mount("ubifs", "UBI", "system", "/system");
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/xbin");
set_perm(0, 3004, 02755, "/system/bin/ping");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/bin/su");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/busybox");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/iptables");
set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/xbin/dnsmasq");
unmount("/system");
ui_print("Finished, reboot now");
And it worked. The tablet has successfully booted and I used it for about two weeks. (BTW - the tablet is a very good one).

Then I got a problem with a dalvik cache.
Every booting I got the message "Android is Updating, Optimising Applications". It was annoying, I did some googling and find out that its a problem with dalvik, and I need to delete the "*.odex files".

The site claims: "it's a cache files, they are not important, so delete it to free up space and avoid glitches". So I did it.
Then I looked into the "system/app" folder and saw that there are a lot of these files too...
And I did a very stupid thing.
I've deleted all the *.odex files from the "system/app" folder.

Now the tablet hangs when booting, just shows the animated "android" logo, forever.

I did more googling and find out, that this files is a parts of apk applications, which was optimized for a specific tablet platform.
You can imagine, how "happy" I was.

Epilogue.
I need the original odex files from COBY MID1060 (or MID1065, it seems it's the same model). I tryed to take them from the other tablets firmwares, with Android 4.0, but with no luck.
So I want to ask the owners of MID1060 or MID1065 - please make a copy of all ".odex" files from the "system/app" folder and give it to me?

I found this guy:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-4/54157-coby-kyros-mid1060-2.html#post275728
The files that I need must be inside that "system.img (8mb)", but it seems he rarely visits the forum and I have not received a response...

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Good work on your update script work. How did you sign the file?

The system.img file (8meg) seems much too small to hold any system info. System file dumps are normally in tar or gz format and are much larger (200meg or more).

uZveruga

Oct 17, 2013
How did you sign the file?
1) I got the Goo.im Downloads - Downloading signing-tools.zip from Signing - RootzWiki
2) Installed JAVA to my computer.
3) Added ";C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin" to $PATH variable of the windows.

And now I can use the command line, as it described in wiki.
Code:
java -Xmx1024m -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 zip_to_sign.zip zip-signed.zip

I put this command to a "sign.bat" file, so I just need to put "zip_to_sign.zip" into folder and run "sign.bat".
Code:
java -Xmx1024m -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 zip_to_sign.zip zip-signed.zip
pause

Works like a charm.
And it's very helpful, cause the "ADB" and "AndroidCommander" do not see my poor tablet.
It's the only way to do changes in the file system.

The system.img file (8meg) seems much too small
Yes, the files are suspiciously small. I think he did them without a "root" rights.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for the info. Did you try the drivers from the Coby_Gen3_USB_Driver.zip file ? ADB would help you a lot.

uZveruga

Oct 17, 2013
One more thing. For modification I used "update-signed.zip" from this post for "r54".
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-4/54157-coby-kyros-mid1060-7.html#post291352

It's important, because there is a correct version of file "update-binary" for this tablet.
With other versions I got "Installation aborted." at the end.

Coby_Gen3_USB_Driver.zip
According to this info, MID1060 is Generation 4. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/38884-newbie-index-coby-sub-fora.html
Nevermind. I know how to use ADB, and it was working before this incedent. Now it can't see the tablet, so I have no choice than use recovery mode.
It has a commands to copy from sdcard (package_extract_dir), delete and set permissions on the files in the system, so it's just unconvenient but is not a problem.

I was thinking to install ClockworkMod Recovery, but now it's late, and I do not know which version is needed for this tablet, so I decided not to risk of completely brick it.
If I'll break the recovery loader - the tablet will be dead completely.
So I'd rather wait for a generous guy with the same tablet...

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Some of the permissions you set are not correct, but the main problem is you killed your OS by deleting your odex files.
You might be able to get the odex files from my 7065 dump.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

uZveruga

Oct 17, 2013
I downloaded stock_7065.zip from here Dev-Host - stock_7065.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
I made an update.zip with the odex files from the "system/app" of 7065.
The patch has applied successfully, but it did not help. I see the same android logo, and it hangs forever.

I cleared the cache via recovery and did factory reset too - it still hangs.

My thoughts:
1) I made ​​the wrong script. Here is my update.zip, you can check it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43236304/update7-signed.zip
2) The odex files of 7065 are not suitable with apk from 1060.

Maybe I need to copy odex with apk?

The problem is - I will lose the original mid1060 apk's. It seems, there is no command in stock recovery to copy files from system to SDcard, so I can't backup it.
Is there a way to do it without adb, just in recovery mode?
Or maybe the soft like "ClockworkMod Recovery" but without install, running and working from the "update.zip" directly?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You can try this recovery Coby_7065_fake_recovery
should allow you to do what you want from update.zip the keys might be different on your version than my 7065, you should be able to figure it out though.

On 7065 there is a time limit for being in recovery, don't know about you tablet, 3 minutes 45 seconds 7065 will reboot no matter if one is done working in recovery mode or not.