Coby Kyros Mid7012-4G

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
Just purchased my first tablet Coby Kyros 7012-4G

Was tring to get a NOOK Color during sales but picked this up cheap so figured would play with it.

Looking to get the most I can out of this tablet and would like to know what I should do to it after I root it?

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
Okay I got market place to work using the post without rooting

I would like to root but can not seem to find a how too. I just installed OneClick but cannt figure it out.

Please someone point me to some posts or how toos that can get me moving again :)

ResidentEvil

Nov 6, 2011
Hey welcome to the site I haven't been on here that long but the humans on here are helpfull.Im not too sure if anybody has rooted a 7012 yet Im waiting too.

sent from my Mind via 7012

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
SuperOneClick only isn't enough, you have to install drivers so your computer recognizes the tablet in the USB port if you're on Windowze. For this, install Android SDK (official or some packge from the Internet with the drivers only and adb) or PDA.net. Then connect your tablet and make sure your computers finds it. Also, use the latest version of SuperOneClick.

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
Okay got this to work using numerous threads. I had problems getting the ADB drive to wrok and I have not idea why but it worked.

First thing I did was from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ket-coby-kyros-mid8024-no-rooting-needed.html post #8 which activated market place.
This works GREAT!! There are a few things that I found have to be done in a certain way for it to work.
I have a MID 7012 BTW.

It appears that the Google framework must be in place and working before the Market will work.
I had all the problems listed by others, but finally got it to work.

Install the following:

• GoogleServicesFramework.apk
  • GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
  • GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
  • Gmail.apk
  • NetworkLocation.apk
Reboot the tablet and make all connections to Google.
This means you successfully get Google mail and the calendar up and working.

Now install the following:
  • Market.apk (used to be called Vendor.apk)
  • MarketUpdater.apk
Reboot the unit and the Market app should work fine now.

I was just about to take this thing back, but after getting this up and working, it works really good and I'm happy.
BTW, the NetFlix app does not work very well on this tablet. it all works, but it's super slow. Not even watchable.​

Then I used this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ing-android-market-clockworkmod-recovery.html

Intro Steps

1. Put your device in USB Debugging mode.
From the main menu, press Settings, Applications, make sure Unknown sources is checked.
Press Development,and make sure that USB Debugging is enabled.

2. Turn on your WIFI by going to Settings, Wireless & Networks, check WIFI,and then Wi-Fi settings.(I had already did this when working on activating market place)
Installing the Windows software and ADB drivers

1. Download and install The Java Development Kit 6here (you will need to register on their site first):

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-CDS_Developer

2. Download and unzip the android-sdk-r07-windows.zip file to the C: drive on your computer.

Android SDK | Android Developers

3. Go to the android-sdk-windows folder that you unzipped

Then followed this to the end of usb driver installaion
What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK

Once you get have the usb drivers added to the C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver then connect the Mid7012 via usb to pc and deselect the usb debug mode and then reactivated. The PC will ask to install new hardware pick install driver from disk and point it to the android_winusb file in the above path. This should install the ADB connection software that is need for SuperOneClick to work.

If that is successfull then Download SuperOneClick from this thread [APP]SuperOneClick v2.2 (now with zergRush and su 3.0) - xda-developers

Unzip it and run. When you hit root it should go through the motions and will ask if you want to install busybox which I said yes to and then will ask to test which I said yest too.

Not sure if this will help anyone but it took me so head banging to get this to work I think it was windows xp problems.

Now that I have it rooted is there something I can do to the Mid7012 that will help with the preformance?

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
I have not rooted mine yet, but I probably will try with your instructions.
I don't know if you can speed it up, but I'm know I'll be deleting a lot of backup .apk files, maybe even some of the default ones that it came with that I don't use and will never use.
extra space on the system partition can't hurt, and I'm sure will help a bit.

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
In another thread a seniro member Fun posted that we needed to confirm recovery mode which the Mid7012 does go into if you hold the back button when powering on.

How do I go about getting a RAW image so I can back things up using clockworkmod and then installing cyanogenmod???

I want to lean this thing out and get what ever I can out of it. Plans are for the kids to use for car use and me likely emails and angry birds :)

Please pretty please help me

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
I can confirm that this works. Also, if using XP like I was, use pdanet to install the firmware and it works like a charm. Thanks snuffy!
My big question is what now? Got a different launcher and overclocked, but there's still all the bloatware it came with. CM7 maybe?

Sent from my MID7012 using Android Tablet Forum

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
I can confirm that this works. Also, if using XP like I was, use pdanet to install the firmware and it works like a charm. Thanks snuffy!
My big question is what now? Got a different launcher and overclocked, but there's still all the bloatware it came with. CM7 maybe?

Sent from my MID7012 using Android Tablet Forum

What different launcher did you install and how did you over clock it?

CM7 would be nice if there was a port for this tablet.

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
Can someone help me out I would like to make a recovery image for this tablet to use ClockWorkMod. When I go to install ClockWork using ROMmanager it does not list the kyros at all.

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
What different launcher did you install and how did you over clock it?

CM7 would be nice if there was a port for this tablet.

Not sure but it was the only free launcher in the market. Tried a few online that didnt show up in the market, but none worked. I'll look up which one and add it to this post later. Works beautifully. I overclocked it using the overclock widget in the app store. If anyone knows a better way, im all ears. Seems to eat up memory leaving it on the home screen. If you overclock it all the way using that, the tablet's actually really quick and very responsive so long as you dont have very many apps open. I wonder if we could find a setup that would allow this to have useable speed and get rid of those annoying delays when you have even 1 or 2 apps open. Only qualm i've got with the kyros.

Anyways, right now im trying to figure out why lots of apps just seem to open themselves. Is it so you can get notifications? Whatever the reason, it really slows things down on the tab. Maybe we need a lightweight rom? Dont know anything about roms other than the cm7 install i did on my nook before i returned it. (b&n has a really good return policy lol)

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
Well the touch screen is alittle crazy but it works :)

I am all for tring to get something slimed down to see how the ebooks respond :) Seems like you have alot more experience then I do