Coby Kyros Mid7012-4G

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
Lol i actually have none. Anywho, gonna look into playing with clockwork to get different roms. Also want to figure out how to use virtual memory to speed it up more. After overclocking, I think its the low memory limiting us at this point. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks!

Sent from my MID7012 using Android Tablet Forum

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
I'm actually having trouble getting clockwork installed, but if you install "Overclock Widget" and set it so it's 300k-500k when screen's on and 128k when screen's off. I think this may actually solve all of our problems. It's fast and responsive when you're using it and the battery lasts fairly well when you're not. I think if we find a decent virtual memory app to go along with this, we may actually have a usable tablet set up!

My main issues at this point are as follows:
1. Every once in a while, the screen will light up and it will display the lock screen after I put the tablet to sleep. This is annoying and it might be problematic if overclock widget tries to overclock the cpu at this time, since that would cut battery life by quite a bit.
2. Under battery usage, it seems cell standby is using far more power than anything else. How can I disable this?
3. I like overclock widget, but I'm not changing my settings around a lot and so I really don't need a widget running constantly. Anyone know a free overclocker that doesn't involve a widget?

And that's it. Other than these minor things (and they really are pretty minor), it's actually a great tablet! Who would have thunk?

EDIT: http://kyros-tablet-zone.team-talk.net/t821-fastest-or Apparently the screen turning on randomly is a hardware thing, not a software thing with these tablets. Granted, they are talking about a 7015 here, but the guts are almost identical. Can anyone else confirm that I'm not the only one with this problem?

Last edited:

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
I've been playing with rom manager tonight. In rom manager, you can "flash clockworkmod recovery" but you have to choose a phone to use. No coby tablet is on that list, so I decided to figure out what CPU was in the Kyros 7012 (it's an ARM 1176 in case you were wondering), and went out to find a phone on the list with the same CPU. Unfortunately, iPhones use the same processor, and are not on that list for obvious reasons. I found a few that were on the list (including the HTC Aria) that had similar Samsung ARM 11 processors, but it didn't work. Could be I'm not using rom manager correctly, but I'm not really sure. Anyone used this before?

Thumper53

Nov 29, 2011
Hi All,

So...I was apparently able to download the Android Market on my Kyros 7012 but every time I click on it it will not open. Can someone give me some guidance as to what I can do?

Thanks a million!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You need to install GoogleServicesFramework.apk first, reboot tablet, then add Market and add you Google account.

JohnK11

Nov 27, 2011
Perhaps you did not unzip the folder (I didn't for the first 3 times)
keep you finger presses on the folder (so it won't open) then press the unzop
button with another finger.

tarkaboy

Nov 25, 2011
I just bought Coby MID7012-4G Kyros 7" Android 2.3 4GB instead of a Sylvania SYTAB7MX after following this forum. What should I do first to maximize the Coby’s functioning and speed? I read elsewhere about Uberoid – is this desirable in this Coby MID7012 and how do I install it. I appreciate all of the efforts you folks have made to increase our enjoyment of this model. Thanks.

Last edited:

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
1. Root it using the 6th post in this thread
2. Install titanium backup and delete bloatware you'll never use
3. Install "overclock widget" from the market and add it to your homescreen
4. Set overclock widget to run between 500ish and 800 while screen is on, low when screen is off (I use 128/128, but it's up to you)
5. Get a different launcher (I'm using launcherpro b/c it's free in the market). Zeam launcher looks like it would be the best, but it wont show up in my market for some reason. Any help on this?
6. Install Swapper via market (I'm still playing with getting this to work).
7. Enjoy your speedy tablet! Do note that right now, it is fine for reading emails and surfing the web, but if you want to play games, save your money and buy something else. Every game I've tried, even the original frogger, lagged like crazy. Just so you know.

redline1

Nov 30, 2011
Hi, Thank you for the root---
Yes the tablet runs a little faster, games lags - I got this for my kids for $70 special.
Is not bad for the price.
Now for those that don't know much about android, is going to be more hard if you don't have a android phone.
The tablet those not shows all apps, You could make backup of your launcher and games and pass them to your tablet.
Im running.
SETCPU - for overcloking
AdobeAIR 3.1.0.488
Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.59 for FLV movies or files
angry bird
Beautifull widgets packs
RealPlayer ( Video Photos player don't like Gallery.
I trying to make JUSTPICTURE work , no luck yet
Go Launcher EX 2.66
IOS Extreme V 1.8 (Develop by my friend to have Iphone Icons
Netflix 1.2.1 Build 843839-1.2.0-30 (is Liter version and it works
power control plus 2.5.1 (is not free )(This would allow for you to turn DATA ENABLE OFF -- THIS IS NOT A PHONE and this is killing the battery)
Also you need TItanium Backup to delete the Phone.APK is you don't want to mess with programing, the easier way is TITANIUM BACKUP.
DELETE ---> DIALER 2.3.3 AKA Phone.apk and Dialer Storage 2.3.3 (This two apps are for the phone apk to work.) After you delete with TITANIUM BACKUP
It might give you an error. Just reboot thats all
No more CELL STANBY
For memory In Using Autokiller Memory Optimizer Provide maxium free Memory around 60MB
Have not try a tast killer, might give it a run for the games.
I got an ARCHOS 70IT 250GB - Is those not compare but for my Kids or Basic introduction Tablet is not bad, It just needs tweeking like anything running
android now on day. The limit set by the provider do not help the tablet.

Good Luck guys

Last edited:

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
I was actually thinking we should replace some hardware components of this tab to get a great, affordable device, starting with the battery. If you run the cpu near 800, you run your battery down really fast. Any EE's here? I dabble but not enough to know what kind of battery we'd need.

Sent from my MID7012 using Android Tablet Forum

snuffy47

Nov 22, 2011
Been digging around looking to see how to install ClockWorkMod on the 7012 and found this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...recovery-recovery-image-mid-7-8-1024-a-4.html
Not sure if the 7012 has a internal sd card yet but if it does it will give an option to back it up.
It would appear that the way coby does its recovery that ClockWorkMod will not work on this thing.
Figured this would be a good place to post this if anyone gets the chance to open theirs up post your findings.