Coby Kyros Mid7012-4G

Dec 5, 2011
i rooted mine and removed the dialer.apk with root uninstaller and now i have no battery being used by cell standby. pretty much only reason i rooted it. anyone know if we can put higher version of android on these things?

msnyder1112

Dec 5, 2011
Hi, Thanks for the quick tutorial, however there are a few things missing. When installing the marketplace files you will need to google "gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip" otherwise you probably will have a hard time getting the networklocation.apk to install.
Secondly when installing the drivers from SDK manager, I had to add my device information into the .inf file. Just point to the usb_driver folder and open up android_winusb.inf. (I made a backup copy also.) Under [Google.NTx86], paste the following;

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED&MI_01
; Android Eclair
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF

If you are using a 64 bit OS then under [Google.NTamd64] add the following;

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED&MI_01

Now during the root process my the SuperOneClick program stopped responding on step #5. At this point I unplugged my device and turned off USB Debugging, plugged it back in and clicked root. When it stopped responding again, then I simply selected USB Debugging again and it rooted it.

Anyone else run into any troubles like this?
It took me a lot of research and time but it worked!

Dec 5, 2011
mine was a breeze, only problem i had was i let it "fall asleep" and forgot to wake it up before i clicked root, lol. so i had to click root twice

msnyder1112

Dec 5, 2011
Good. What have you done since rooting? All I did was overclock...the best App I have found so far is Antutu CPU Master. It seems to drain battery quick so I went to 4shared and got Juice Defender Ultimate...

Dec 5, 2011
All I did was use root uninstaller to get rid of the phone apks so that 72% of my battery wasn't being used for cell standby. I haven't seen a need to over clock it yet. Unless it makes Netflix work cuz right now it's awful. Unwatchable.

msnyder1112

Dec 5, 2011
Which apks if you dont mind me asking? My battery sucks. Also sometimes my tablet turns on (to the 'slide to unlock screen') then turns back off after a second or 2. Are you experiencing this too?

GerrittP

Dec 6, 2011
I previously posted how my root process was hanging up using superoneclick and it was also on step #5. I tried what @msnyder had mentioned at the top of this page and it went through the entire root process but now I am stuck on the loading screen where it says "android" at startup. The Kyros is trying to boot up though, the screen goes dark every 30 seconds or so and the same screen comes up again and the "android" graphic has a lighting effect that shows that it is not frozen up. So far I seem to have encountered just about every issue that other users have come across, nothing has been easy. Also, you are not alone on the random "wake" to the slide to unlock screen. It happens to me all the time and another user, Bruno I think, mentioned the same issue.

SumCanadian, you can download a previous version of netflix that works wonderfully on the 7012. Click this link from your Kyros:

NetFlix v1.2.1

Y
ou can thank @ResidentEvil for that.

GerrittP

Dec 6, 2011
Ok. I clicked the little "reset" button on the back of the tablet and it booted right up. I now have a rooted Kyros 7012!

All I did was use root uninstaller to get rid of the phone apks so that 72% of my battery wasn't being used for cell standby. I haven't seen a need to over clock it yet. Unless it makes Netflix work cuz right now it's awful. Unwatchable.

I would be VERY interested to know what apks you uninstalled to get rid of cell standby. Thanks for the help.

Dec 5, 2011
It was dialer.apk and the one right beside it, it also had dialer in the title. Note: my tablet got mad at me for doing it and kept flashing a popup that a service had been stopped or something and telling me to force close. You have to hold down the power button while the popup is displayed and quickly dismiss it then hit power down and all was well after a reboot.

norm182

Dec 7, 2011
i rooted mine and removed the dialer.apk with root uninstaller and now i have no battery being used by cell standby. pretty much only reason i rooted it. anyone know if we can put higher version of android on these things?

myk3916, over at KTZ, is working on a custom rom for this tablet. check it out. hxxp://kyros-tablet-zone.team-talk.net/t839-7012-stock-custom-build-project

Last edited:

ResidentEvil

Nov 6, 2011
Is there a way to put it back to factory if you need too ? Im thinking about doing this too, I see that dialer using battery.

promek1

Feb 25, 2011
There is now Clockworkmod for 7012 at KTZ site. for those that wish to install and do a factory dump

msnyder1112

Dec 5, 2011
This is really annoying me. My tablets screen keeps turning on then off after about 2 seconds. Anyone having this issue?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
2s is too short... There is a known issue that gets better if you turn WiFi on all the time (set sleep policy to "never"). You can use WiFi buddy to do this.