Coby Kyros MID7015 Graphics Fix (Angry Birds, Others)

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
Thanks Xaueious!

I'm using your universal mali.ko. My system's build number is MID7015 1.6a_20101124-3 without Market.
I checked dalvik.vm.heapsize by using adb
adb pull /system/build.prop /tmp/
gedit /tmp/build.prop
I found dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m so I did not edit anything.

I downloaded the universal zip, copied it to /tmp/ and extracted it in /tmp/ get mali.ko
Then I used adb to make a backup of the existing mali.ko (habit I guess)
adb shell
cd /system/lib/modules
cp mali.ko mali.ko.original
exit back to terminal
Then I copied the new mali.ko in
adb push /tmp/CobyMID7015_GPU_Fix_Universal/system/lib/modules/mali.ko /system/lib/modules/
I used "ls -l" in adb shell to check for new sizes and or dates. The sizes matched exactly which was not what I expected but I guess it means the edit was not extensive, just a settings tweak or two.
Rebooted the system and Angry Birds graphics are complete.
Yeah! My wife says thanks too!

Thanks for posting the md5sum so we know our download is what you uploaded.

You can do it multiple ways but best would be...
adb remount
adb shell
#mv /system/lib/modules/mali.ko /system/lib/modules/mali.ko_bak
#exit
adb push /tmp/CobyMID7015_GPU_Fix_Universal/system/lib/modules/mali.ko /system/lib/modules/mali.ko

Works either way but this way you know it changed. You can do #ls /system/lib/modules/ in between to make sure.

Bill

wabbitseason

Mar 29, 2011
I wanted an easy fix I didn't have to get out of bed for so I downloaded vmheap tool off market and gave it a shot; it fixed a couple things, but said my # was already at 24; I tested 32 and 48 and back to 24 before I gave up and got up to transfer the file, which did the trick. Although I have to say when I was playing with the heap tool a few times my 'birds' turned into little white boxes flying at strange structures and by flinging one on Rio I did nail 3 stars on the first try... had to laugh.

Thanks so much for all you guys do; I'm not sure I should reveal to my kids that I fixed it as I see regular complaints on various forums of parents losing the tablet to the kids after applying the patch!

:D

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
wabbitseason,
transfer the file, which did the trick
what file?

I tired setting heapsize to 48 by editing build.prop and rebooting. The edit sticks but did not solve the crash problem. I'll tried lcd_density 180 rather than 240 but that didn't help either.

wabbitseason

Mar 29, 2011
The very first post in this thrhttp://www.androidtablets.net/forum/members/xaueious.htmlead by xaueious has completely updated instructions. I'm by all means still a noob so I didn't bother tinkering with anything beyond using vmheap tool with the ideas presented here and when that didn't work, I downloaded the file in listed in the first post (there is a choice of two files; one for if you installed Watery Kyros and one for everyone else; I choose the first). Then I changed the name of the file to 'Update.zip', moved the file to my sd card, rebooted into clockwork mod - recovery mode and selected "install update.zip from sd card and afterwards rebooted again. That's what worked for me. Hope my clarification helps.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Thanks wabbitseason,
I didn't understand you meant transfer the original file from xaueious. The original files are not just adjusting heapsize they are changing mali.ko, the GPU driver. Yesterday I tried WateryKyros 1.2b and then used the patch in the original post. Worked great, angry birds graphics and text were all displayed.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
If you don't play games then set the VPHeap to 48m you can also force the tablet to start with that too. There is two line code to use.
If you play games then set the VPHeap to 24m It's best to match what's inside the boot.img setting though. It should be VM 24.

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
Dowloaded the first file 'ColbyMID715_GPU_FIX-Universal', seems to be working, initially had a few episodes in which the original screen went balck and wallpaper disappeared, occasionally the screen went black after closing some applications. In addition the pad felt alittle more sluggish....Seems angry birds works fine. No loss of icons or applications that I can see, even download more apps from market without any problems....After hitting the calibration button I have had no more screen problems......

Thanks guys, great upgrade....

Todd

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I've tried 180 vs 200 at 180 the icons are tiny not good for me. So 200 it is.. B7 from is AB supported.

sumo1059

Apr 8, 2011
Hi - I am newbie and have the MID7015A which has been rooted and Market loaded - I don't have Watery Kyros. I am not sure what version of which fix I need to load since the Water kyros fix mentions MID7015A. Do I just load the Universal version?

sumo1059

Apr 8, 2011
Oops - saw the post from TGAMIL who has the same version I am using - will use the Universal fix.

sumo1059

Apr 8, 2011
Downloaded the Universal version to my MID7015A, vmheap was already set to 24 -
Angry Birds graphics now appear!

Thank you so much - really appreciate it!

mcdantas

Apr 13, 2011
Hi,

I've changed the LCD Density using the tips from post #1, it really works, the icons get smaller, but the distance between them still the same as 240. It was useless, icons smaller but at the same distance as before, so I can't put more icons in the screen.

Also tried the Droid Overclock APP. I've setted to 180, 200 and 220 with same results. It's kind it have a grideline, tried to move the icons closer to each other but it goes back to predefined position.

Anyone knows how to fix that?

thanks

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Hi,

I've changed the LCD Density using the tips from post #1, it really works, the icons get smaller, but the distance between them still the same as 240. It was useless, icons smaller but at the same distance as before, so I can't put more icons in the screen.

Also tried the Droid Overclock APP. I've setted to 180, 200 and 220 with same results. It's kind it have a grideline, tried to move the icons closer to each other but it goes back to predefined position.

Anyone knows how to fix that?

thanks

Please don't ask the same question in different threads, it junks up the forum. I replied to your question here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ical/6542-lcd-density-change-3.html#post77071

Just bump the original question if you must and you think you're not getting a timely answer, but don't expect people to answer within minutes.