Coby Kyros MID7030 Root + Google Play

lalaland

Oct 12, 2012
Hi everyone,

I decided to start my own thread to let you know the progress that I am making with my new tablet.
You can see the technical details here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/47710-coby-7030-a.html

First, and thanks to Traveller1701' s guidance and Jbr123's script, I managed to get the necessary files to root from here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/43624-root-mid7035.html

Got the device rooted with these files, and then I installed Root Check Pro which confimed it was rooted ok.

I then went on to install Busybox (frankly I have no idea why, but I installed it nonetheless),
DONT BOTHER. It created all sort of issues for me with no tangible benefit really
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ng-factory-default-when-being-turned-off.html

and finally Root Explorer so that I could move the Google Play files.

In the process, I also installed Rom Manager in order to attempt installing Clockworkmod Recovery, to make a full nandroid backup before going any further.
Rom Manager told me that it did not want to install Clockworkmod (which is one way to install Google Play by flashing the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file straight onto the device), and at this stage, I thought it was probably a bad idea to try to install it manually, considering the low-level of the application on the tablet.

Traveller1701 wrote:
The best solution I can think of is to unzip the 20120429 Google Apps package from Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps and push the entire system directory in the zip file onto the tablet using ADB. From there you set permissions for all files to 644 using ADB and reboot. The tablet will display a prompt telling you that the system is updating and it should then, if properly done, display a prompt to set up your Google account. After that, you should have the Google apps in the app drawer, if not on the screen.

Using Root Explorer, I checked the timestamp of the files that I need to replace to get Google Play to work, and found that mine were from August 2012 while those in the package above were from May 2012.

I am facing a dilemma now:

Should I replace my most recent system files with those from the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip package?
Of course I will make a backup of my system files before, but what good is it if you cant even boot the tablet to restore it to its previous state (because of the lack of Clockworkmod)?
Will these Google files prevent the tablet from booting up if I put the wrong ones? I would not think so, but because of my very limited knowledge, I just prefer to make sure.

For the backup, I thought of using MyBackup Pro, but the system needs to be up and running before a restore, so as a bare minimum, I must be able to boot.

Alternatively, can those files be pushed with ADB if the tablet fails to boot? My understanding is that for ADB to work, you need to have the drivers installed (which I have) AND USB debugging ON, which only triggers when the system is up and running. So no boot = no USB debugging right?

Sorry to ask all these questions here; I read a lot about the whole process, and not everything is clear in my mind.

@Traveller1701: Still trying to find your post related to :

adb push [filename] [location]. Permissions are 644 (rw-r--r--). Location will be \system\app.

You will not be able to copy the entire package to your tablet. Search my posts, as I link to a blog in a couple of them which list the necessary files in bold. Be sure to copy phonesky.apk, as that is the Play Store app itself. The blog post doesn't mention the file as it predates the change from Android Market to Google Play.

:p

Last edited:

lalaland

Oct 12, 2012

Hey thanks for this.

I have square eyes, looking at all these posts that look similar but are not the quite the same.

$Square+Eyes+P.jpg

The blog you mentionned here: https://senk9.wordpress.com/2010/12...ogle-apps-gapps-on-your-android-device-phone/ is a goldmine of information. Thanks

Last edited:

lalaland

Oct 12, 2012
Gapps update:

Get the package from here: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
Unzip, copy the files to your external SD

*NOW* is a good time to backup your files. I used Titanium Backup for Root to do this.

I then downloaded Explorer+ from Appbrain, and allowed it root access, to copy the files in the right system folders:

1. Copy \downloaded_gapps\system\app to \system\app on the tablet.
2. Copy \downloaded_gapps\system\lib to \system\lib on the tablet.
3. Copy \downloaded_gapps\system\framework to \system\framework on the tablet.
4. Copy \downloaded_gapps\system\etc\permissions to \system\etc\permissions on the tablet.

Everytime I replaced the files on the tablet (which were more recent) with those from the package.
After completing 1. the tablet will throw up a number of errors relating to some Google files, this is normal as you are in the process of copying them.
If you used Explorer+ with root access, the permissions should be set up correctly. I did not have to change them on my coby.

Restart the tablet.
It should say that it is upgrading android, copying 13 files.
When this is finished, you will find the Google Play app in on your tablet. The first time you run it, it updates to the latest version (I think)

As always, try this at your own risk. While it did work for me, it may not work for you.

romaragregado

Feb 11, 2012
Hi,

I bought a Coby Kyros MID7032-4 last month. You mentioned on your other thread that the MID7030 is the same with the MID7032 and the only difference is that my tablet uses capacitive touch.

With that in my mind, I was hoping if you could help me on rooting my device and installing Google Play and all other Google Apps on my Tablet. I thought that the best way to do it is for you to do a Youtube Video on how to root the tablet. That would give us the confidence on rooting our tablet since some of the process are kinda technical for us newbies.

Thank you very much. If you cant make a video, if you can please give or tell me the step by step process on how to root and to have Google Apps in our tablet.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I assume you're asking the OP, but if you're running Windows, the root utility in the sticky posts at the top of Generation 3 Development supports 703X tablets, and thus you should be able to root using it. Once you do that, follow lalaland's post here.

Youtube videos are a good way to demonstrate how the process is done, however they are notoriously poor teachers. Reading and understanding what you are doing will be a lot more helpful to you.

danielalac123

Jul 23, 2013
Gapps update:

Get the package from here: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
Unzip, copy the files to your external SD

*NOW* is a good time to backup your files. I used Titanium Backup for Root to do this.

I then downloaded Explorer+ from Appbrain, and allowed it root access, to copy the files in the right system folders:

1. Copy \downloaded_gapps\system\app to \system\app on the tablet.
2. Copy \downloaded_gapps\system\lib to \system\lib on the tablet.
3. Copy \downloaded_gapps\system\framework to \system\framework on the tablet.
4. Copy \downloaded_gapps\system\etc\permissions to \system\etc\permissions on the tablet.

Everytime I replaced the files on the tablet (which were more recent) with those from the package.
After completing 1. the tablet will throw up a number of errors relating to some Google files, this is normal as you are in the process of copying them.
If you used Explorer+ with root access, the permissions should be set up correctly. I did not have to change them on my coby.

Restart the tablet.
It should say that it is upgrading android, copying 13 files.
When this is finished, you will find the Google Play app in on your tablet. The first time you run it, it updates to the latest version (I think)

As always, try this at your own risk. While it did work for me, it may not work for you.

I did as you said laland, but it seems that I can't copy those files to system folders. I imagine that I have to change permissions, but I don't know how to do that. I have a MID7035. Can anyone help me?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You need a file manager with root access, like ES File Explorer, to change permissions.

danielalac123

Jul 23, 2013
You need a file manager with root access, like ES File Explorer, to change permissions.

I have the ES file Explorer but I don´t know how to change permissions. Can you or somebody help me? I know that is kind of obvious for most of you, but I am just a mother-biology-teacher trying to get google play working in my 6-years-old boy´s kyrus 7035... don´t know nothing about android but I think that at least I managed to root the tablet as instructed by you and others in this forum.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I don't use ES File Manager, but if you press and hold on a file you should get a properties option pop up dialogue that will allow you to change permissions on files.

danielalac123

Jul 23, 2013
Yes, doing as you said, I can SEE permissions, but I cannot change them. My system folders are all read yes, write no. How can I change that in order to transfer all those files following lalaland instructions.

danielalac123

Jul 23, 2013
It does not work. I receive an alert message that Root Explorer is an experimental feature, the message asks if Iwant to try use the feature anyway, I click yes, and then it says that it was not possible to use the feature in my tablet. Does it mean that my tablet was not properly rooted? But I got the message saying it was rooted at the end of the rooting procedure and I have successfully installed SuperSU. How can I be sure?