coby kyros mid7042-4 problem: need your advice

xavia

Jun 20, 2012
Hi there guys!
I have a coby kyros mid7042-4 for about 2 days and I'm testing the tablet... so far it runs angry birds space smoothly, tryed grooveshark app and it worked like a charm. The only thing that is bugging me is that I couldn't get my gmail into the email app that came with this tablet, so I had to use a gmail app (if you can help me with this feel free to share some knowledge).. has I was writing some random e-mail the tablet just freezes and came back to the "desktop". Some times the same happens while I'm browsing random stuff in the internet (i use the browser that came with the tablet).

I wonder if this is normal in this kind of low budget devices or if it's a software (or hardware) problem, because I can get this one changed by other new tablet in the future 13 days...

xavia

Jun 20, 2012
factory reset = vol down + power, right? i'm doing that and nothing is happening :(

rposlp

Jun 17, 2012
i dont know a way throught buttons, just go to settings-->backup & reset--> factory data reset

bvn

Jun 11, 2012
There is also a button on the back that can be pressed with a paper clip (page 6 of my manual)

I'm afraid that confirming the problem with Factory Reset is standard practice.
--- TTFN

xavia

Jun 20, 2012
Guys,
I did both ways and the problem persists.

After a factory restore (5x actually) I was able to sign in my gmail account, as I was writing an email... the tablet just froze and went back to desktop. The same happen while browsing some pages.

What should I do? Is this supposed to be normal in this kind of device? :(

rposlp

Jun 17, 2012
Return it, i see you are from portugal, me too, have you bought it in worten? you have the right to exchange it, its not working properly, go there and show them what is happening and they give you a new one.

xavia

Jun 20, 2012
ty friend, and yes... it was on worten.

your tablet is ok? or sometimes have this problems?

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Firstly, you cant use your gmail account with the stock email app, its for things like pop3 imap and microsoft exchange servers. So you need to get the gmail app, the best way of which is to root your tablet and put one of the roms on which have google play installed/ For you I recommend Steevs rooted stock rom, its exactly what you have on the tablet now except its rooted, google play is installed and google location services work. There is a how to in this forum on how to install this using windows. I am currently using vampirefos mobiz rom but I am encountering a laundry list of problems which seem systemic and I cant currently recommend it even with its advantages. From there you can install the gmail app, as well as other apps, like Dolphin web browser or opera. Now the problem with the browers crashing and going back to the desktop is a two part problem. One is it is the problem of the actual browser software, and in the stock browser of the 7042 it is a beta version of Googles Chrome for android. The second problem is with android itself getting fed up to quickly with the browser and therefore killing the process. Usually if im using the browser on a say image intensive page, android will run out of memory and intermittingly bring up a dialog saying it the browser is unresponsive and ask if I want to close it. I have found that opera and dolphin can be more stable with big pages but the stock browser can take advantage of a lot of new html5 enhancements so sometimes its worth it to use. If you do install a rom like steevs I suggest u download the lates gapps (google apps) because it fixes a bug with google search.

Teatime

Nov 2, 2011
I don't think that's true. I'm a techno-dummy and my 7042 synched my gmail and yahoo mail right out of the box. I haven't rooted or modified the tablet in any way. As I recall, I set up my yahoo account on it and then a box popped up and asked me if there were any other emails I wanted to enter so I added gmail. It synchs both beautifully -- I can either check the email accounts individually or in a combined view.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Teatime said:
I don't think that's true. I'm a techno-dummy and my 7042 synched my gmail and yahoo mail right out of the box. I haven't rooted or modified the tablet in any way. As I recall, I set up my yahoo account on it and then a box popped up and asked me if there were any other emails I wanted to enter so I added gmail. It synchs both beautifully -- I can either check the email accounts individually or in a combined view.

Well you must of had some magic Coby kyros because coby kyros doesnt come with gapps or google play. You can install yahoo using getjar I believe, but no coby kyros has the gmail or yahoo app out of the box. The built-in email client only supports pop3 imap and microsoft exchange. It is unfornately very much true, I wish very much these tablets did this out of the box but they don't.