Coby KYROS MID8024-4G When will it be available?

djx2000

Apr 27, 2011
Hello, I wonder if anyone knows when the Coby KYROS MID8024-4G will be available?

How do you like the Coby brand? Most reviews seem to be favorable and there price will fit my budget.

djx2000

djx2000

Apr 27, 2011
Thanks driggs, do you think the 8024 will be a good choice for a first tablet? I don't plan to watch a lot of video. Will I be able to link it to my Linux network?

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
I am new to the tablet game myself djx. I just ordered my 7015. I was not considering the 8" screen tablet mainly because I want something smaller (I am replacing a dead PDA). I went with a first generation Coby over the 7024 after some research and advice I received on this board. From what I understand, the 7015 was made by one manufacturer and the 7024/7025/8024/1024 are by another. This is not a big deal, but since the 7015 is VERY hackable and (at the time I ordered) some users were having problems hacking/rooting the 7024. Also, there are some complaints on another thread about some problems with the headphone port on the 7024, but it appears Coby is making good on replacements. With the better spec sheet (proc, mem, multi-touch screen, Android 2.2 out of the box), I probably should have ordered the 7024 and waited for the hacks, but I am just not a patient person. Overall, I think the 8024 will be a great device for you, but it will probably take some time before the hacks start rolling out - which might or might not matter to you...

As for adding it into your Linux network, I don't see where that will be a problem. I have not heard of any Wifi issues with the 7024 or 1024, and I know for a fact that there are other Linux people on here besides us.

djx2000

Apr 27, 2011
Thanks for the info diggs, and the confidence to buy a Coby. Sounds like they stand behind there product if some thing goes wrong. There are a few no name tablets out there that I would not feel as confident about. They may be just fine, but for my first time out I will stick with a name brand unit. I know what you mean about waiting, I wish the 8024 were shipping now. Also I don't like to be the first to buy a new product, just to find out the first batch has a problem. But this time I may do it.

Running PCLinuxOS here on all my home computers. It is a great OS and I hope I will be able to put Android into the network.

Thanks djx2000

Insight

Apr 30, 2011
Here >Coby Kyros new line not shipping soon. is the most recent post I have seen on the 7025. I have been thinking that the the Coby 7025 maybe a good jumping on point for me. (I have NO Android anything experience.)

This unit seems to cover all the basics including camera, mike, and Android 2.3. I am thinking that by the time I figure how to operate this unit, some one talented person will have figured out how to root or otherwise gain access to the wider apps world. That's a plan anyway.

struckett

Apr 18, 2011
Here >Coby Kyros new line not shipping soon. is the most recent post I have seen on the 7025. I have been thinking that the the Coby 7025 maybe a good jumping on point for me. (I have NO Android anything experience.)

This unit seems to cover all the basics including camera, mike, and Android 2.3. I am thinking that by the time I figure how to operate this unit, some one talented person will have figured out how to root or otherwise gain access to the wider apps world. That's a plan anyway.

The Kyros 8024 is out, only 1 lace seems to have i and that is HSN. I have the MID8024 offered by HSN and it is a good tablet, although ROOTING it is a ways off and it has no market app, so don't even think about getting anything from the google app market, it does come with appslib and Amazon apps market preinstalled.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
HSN would be a good starting point and if you don't like it just send it back in 30 days on HSN. If it's defective HSN will have COBY send UPS to your dwelling to pick it up also. That will only happen if HSN is out of stock and it's defective.