Coby Kyros MID8048 Won't Go to Sleep

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Did not realize ALL 8048s had nand lock, just assumed it was only the last few. You know what they say about assume making an ass out of u and me! In this case just me.

If restoring a dump via ADB won't trip the self-destruct then the adb backup and adb restore commands should be safe also. It's just that more than half the time the backup halts prematurely and exits. And you cannot save the backup file to a FAT32 partition, it's too large.

So the bulk of my advice is the same: read up first and follow the advice of the two main devs on this forum, Traveller1701 and Vampirefo.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You could be correct. I honestly can't remember, but heading into 2015 it's a pretty good bet that the nand lock is active on his tablet.

The safest way to restore would be to create a flashable zip of the ROM that employs a Coby signature. The zip can then be flashed using the stock recovery.

Vampirefo may have the signature, but I think the signature varies from device to device.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Probably. I couldn't flash his upright recovery on my 9742 with the stock recovery. But the .zip is flashable with the older upside-down CWM anyway, or the extracted image can be installed with a cat command.

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
The sleep function has been coming and going since my last post, so what I thought was the problem and fix for it doesn't seem to have been the case after all. The only time it's going to sleep at all now is when I leave it charging for hours - and it doesn't even do that every time.

Something I've only recently noticed is that when the sleep function isn't working neither is the auto-rotate screen function. I believe that's been true all along, but I just didn't notice before.

I rooted the tablet with vampirefo.'s Root and Gapps for Telechips.

Then I tried to make a dump with Minimal ADB and Fastboot by using the commands suggested by vampirefo. in this post, but the busybox command didn't produce a result. So I installed Stephen Stericsons busybox.apk as LordBaal suggested in the same thread and that was able to create the 8048_system.tgz.

I still don't know how I would use the files created to restore my tablet, or if they're enough to restore it completely.I noticed vampirefo, mentioned in another thread that he had lost all his Coby files, so I don't think he could help with a signed zip file. I'm also unsure whether I can use ClockworkMod to make and restore a backup on this model of Coby Kyros without tripping the nandlock or where to get it from.

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
I mainly use the tablet as an ereader and usually keep it plugged into the charger, but checking it now it's discharging 1% every 3.14 minutes - so that would be about 5.25 hours on a full charge which I think is what it was getting from when I bought it at the end of June.

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
It does seem to be a hardware problem. Whether sleep and auto-rotate function consistently seems to depend on temperature and level of battery charge.

I live in Michigan and haven't turned on the furnace yet, and it's dawned on me that as the temperature's been falling, the occurrence of sleep and auto-rotate functioning has become less frequent. I left the fully charged tablet in the middle of an electric blanket that was turned on it's highest setting and after the tablet had a chance to warm up I found that the sleep and auto-rotate were working consistently again.

I took the warmed-up tablet with me while visiting at a friend's house who has his thermostat set to 68 degrees and sleep and auto-rotate worked without falter for hours until the battery charge got down to about 50%. When I came home and placed the tablet in the electric blanket with the tablet's charger connected, the sleep and auto-rotate functions returned once the tablet warmed up, even though the charge was only at 35%.

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
I think it must have had the fault all along - it was sold as a refurbished item. I expect it will be fully functional for a quite a few summers to come. I'm probably an oddball for using the tablet in an unheated enviroment in a cold climate. I can make do without sleep and auto-rate for the winters.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
There are apps that can be used to set the orientation, whether portrait or landscape, on a per app basis. I use one, Rotation Manager if I recall correctly, on my tablet to lock Pinball Arcade into portrait.

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
I asked a friend who bought a 8048 at the same time as I did to get her tablet cold to check if sleep and auto-rotate continued to function. She put it in her unheated garage for an hour and although sleep and auto-rotate still functioned, it was going to sleep anytime she touched the tablet. She didn't want to continue the experiment further than that.

I've discovered another thing my tablet is unable to do when it's cold is to complete a WiFi connection to even a strong signal.

I haven't gotten around to trying any of the sleep or rotate apps as yet.

Another thing I've found that my tablet won't do when it's cold is produce any sort of sound or audio. This is not the tablet to take with you when you go ice fishing.

Last edited:

cobo

Oct 16, 2014
Got around to opening the tablet up when the weather turned warm again as it was still not functioning. Couldn't see any loose or cracked connections anywhere. Shortly after having it apart I noticed the tablet was going to sleep. Auto-rotate and audio were also working again.

Now that the weather is cold again all those are still functioning consistently. I'm guessing that a build-up of condensation inside the tablet was causing the probems. I used a pen-knife to pry off the back the first time and in the process chipped off a corner of it. I think that may be providing sufficient ventelation to prevent the probems recurring this winter.

Last edited: