Coby Kyros MID9042 Stock ROM

kahrloz

Oct 17, 2013
so you are telling me that you downloaded vampirefo's recovery for MID9042 tab and flashed it, but when you try getting to recovery, you see the stock recovery and not CWM????

if so, try perhaps downloading it from another link?
but make sure you really have the MID9042, it shows it on the back.

flashing the livesuit image over writes everything, meaning it deletes the flashed CWM recovery.

Last edited:

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
so you are telling me that you downloaded vampirefo's recovery for MID9042 tab and flashed it, but when you try getting to recovery, you see the stock recovery and not CWM????
Yes exactly

if so, try perhaps downloading it from another link?
You are right, I should have tested it before, but now it is too late!

but make sure you really have the MID9042, it shows it on the back.
Yes, it is written MID9042 on its back

flashing the livesuit image over writes everything, meaning it deletes the flashed CWM recovery.
Yeah, I know

Anyway I managed to revive my tablet by using LiveSuit

By the way I am thinking about the warnings in this thread :
READ FIRST: Development Index and Root Utility
And by considering this warning :
Using the root utility on a Livesuite-modified tablet may cause damage to the firmware which may not be fixable by any means, even with a system dump
Now that I used LiveSuit, I must never ever ever root my tablet, right?!

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Now that I used LiveSuit, I must never ever ever root my tablet, right?!

The warning is about using the root utility. Coby changed the hardware on many Gen 3 tablets without any version designation (i.e. coby model 7042 version 2) so livesuite images destroyed more tablets than it helped.

Since livesuite overwrites everything on the tablet, all drivers are lost.

So, now that Coby is no more, Identifying specific versions of tablets becomes more important that ever. Everyone should perform a system dump and upload it along with the build date for identification purposes.

Coby tablet owners, note the build date for your tablet. It could be useful in restoring your tablet later.

Last edited:

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
@ tpaine
Thanks for the explanations
But I didn't get a definite answer
I want to make sure rooting my tablet will brick it
Considering I used LiveSuit on my tablet
Also after using LiveSuit there is only one problem with my tablet
The camera don't work
It says it can't connect to camera
Is there anyway to fix it?
But then again in comparison with boot loop problem this on is better!
And where can I find out the MFR date of my tablet?

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
@ tpaine
Thanks for the explanations
But I didn't get a definite answer
I want to make sure rooting my tablet will brick it
Considering I used LiveSuit on my tablet
Also after using LiveSuit there is only one problem with my tablet
The camera don't work
It says it can't connect to camera
Is there anyway to fix it?
But then again in comparison with boot loop problem this on is better!
And where can I find out the MFR date of my tablet?

I do not kmow for certain how your tablet will react to rooting. Seems to me it wouln't be a problem, but you have a good (mostly) livesuite image so if you have problems, flash the image again.

Fixing the camera may be possible. Check out the 9042 system dumps for different camera drivers.

You are very lucky the camera is your only problem.

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
So no need to worry about bricking the tablet as long as there is a working LiveSuit img for the tablet?
Since I have a working LiveSuit img for my tablet, I can mess up with it as much as I want without worrying about brick issue?!
I want to test rooting / installing custom roms / etc ...

But then again I am still worried about this warning :

Disclaimer: There have been incidents recently (as of 10/22/12) regarding devices either becoming bricked or being rendered so unstable as to be virtually useless. The common denominator in all these incidents is that the end users installed custom ROMs using Livesuite and then proceeded to use the root utility to install Clockworkmod. Given ADB's track record of reliability with millions of Android devices, the only conclusion I can draw from this is that Livesuite is the cause of the problem. Therefore, if you have used Livesuite to install a ROM, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS UTILITY. Using the root utility on a Livesuite-modified tablet may cause damage to the firmware which may not be fixable by any means, even with a system dump. Should you choose to use the utility despite this warning, you do so at your own risk.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
So no need to worry about bricking the tablet as long as there is a working LiveSuit img for the tablet?
Since I have a working LiveSuit img for my tablet, I can mess up with it as much as I want without worrying about brick issue?!
I want to test rooting / installing custom roms / etc ...

But then again I still worried about this warning :

Thats right, you can always revert to the livesuite image. You will be no worse off than you are now.

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
I installed this ROM by using CWM :
9042 - Download - 4shared - kahrloz paz
But I don't see any change in my tablet!
And here is the info from "About tablet" :
Model number : MID9042
Android version : 4.0.3
Kernel version : 3.0.8+
Build number : 20120828.130802
And still the camera is not working!

I am curious if I perform a Factory Reset from CWM what will happen?
What will I lose? Root? CWM? Custom ROM?

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
Factory reset clears data and cache. You will not lose system files, root and recovery are unchanged.

Does it revert to former ROM or Original ROM?
I mean does it wipe out the custom ROM?
As I said I don't see any change on my tablet
How can I find out that I am on the Custom ROM?
And can you please give a little more info about fixing the camera?

kahrloz

Oct 17, 2013
I installed this ROM by using CWM :
9042 - Download - 4shared - kahrloz paz
But I don't see any change in my tablet!
And here is the info from "About tablet" :
Model number : MID9042
Android version : 4.0.3
Kernel version : 3.0.8+
Build number : 20120828.130802
And still the camera is not working!

I am curious if I perform a Factory Reset from CWM what will happen?
What will I lose? Root? CWM? Custom ROM?

see this is the "stock" rom meant to help you go back to the factory rom, and the reasong i did this rom was because the livesuit image didn't have the camera working.
My camera wasn't working under the livesouit image, so i went to CWM recovery's "mount and restore" and formated system, data, cache, sdcard, and flashed my stock rom.

kahrloz

Oct 17, 2013
How did you make this ROM?
Is there any tutorial on how to convert boot.img, bootloader.img, recovery.img, system.tgz to this kind of ROM which can be flashed directly from CWM?

as to how i made it , well i watched somebody else's rom to understand the zip structure ,
$Untitled.jpg

now, i uncompressed system.tgz to get the system folder, and boot.img is boot.img.............

and meta-info is the so called "commands", you need to know where boot.img belongs to and how to mount and unmount system in order to flash it.... but if you are trying to compile for the MID9042 you can always use this zip's META-INFO

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
@ kahrloz
I flashed your ROM as you said but still the camera is not working
Thanks for the instruction on how to make a ROM for CWM