Coby MID-1125-4G Review

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
I'll copy this from my review @ amazon.com. If anyone finds it useful I'll add to this.

I'll update this at a later date. I also have a "Honeycomb" (3.2) Gateway A60 (Acer Iconia A500) - much prefer this for the road.

It's not for everyone as it lacks some common features such as GPS, dual-core processor, Honeycomb or higher, rear facing camera with flash/auto-focus, 3G/4G, Bluetooth, limited 4GB of device (internal) flash memory and so on.

On the other hand, as tablets are in the 'rapid' innovation cycle of their product life-cycle it makes sense for me to get an 'eco-model' then upgrade once the landscape is somewhat more stable. Much like PCs - even the cheapest can run everything one requires (within reason) these days - but this was not the case many years ago. Just a matter of time until Ice-Creme-Sandwich (and whatever comes after such as "Jelly Bean") is in every tablet anyways. So I'm waiting until the landscape stabilizes more until putting down big $$ for another top of the line tablet. Besides my Nokia X-7 has (voice) GPS and a 8 MP camera with a flash so it's a redundant feature for me.

By the way, as I write this the Tegra-3 Quad core (Kal-El) (4 plus a low power core) is coming out which is 5 times faster then the dual-core system. Later in 2012 version 10 times faster will be released. So the Coby is a great tablet to use as prices plummet in the year ahead.

I use this mainly for travel as its 3 hours at the airport (I get there early), 21 - 24 hours en-route to Asia, then another 8-hour drive to my house. I use a battery pack which uses 4 D-rechargeable batteries (and I bring along LOTS of extra batteries). The 5 VDC connector (most people use the AC adapter in this plug) works perfect for this. So I can watch many movies, listen to music (although my Philips Muse is much preferred due to the FullSound), get work done and everything I require. So battery life is not an issue with a good battery pack (my travel time is typically 35 hours which is way beyond even run-times the best tablets). Actually the hardest part is to keep the extra batteries if your passing through the US.
* I'm updating this to a gel-cell. The Coby 1125-4G has a internal battery which is 20 WH (3.7 V, 5500 mAH). A rechargeable 4-D NiMH battery pack is about 48 WH (1,1 A, 4.6VDC) and a small 12 VDC gell cell is about 84 WH (7A, 12 VDC) and up. In other words: 4-D = 2.4 charges, the gel-cell about 4.2 charges. Of course, make sure to use a step down to the correct voltage (12 VDC to 5 VDC) and make sure you have the correct polarity, voltage (per transformer output), amperage and so forth. Interestingly I also tried a 5VDC 0.5 A USB and while it slowed the discharge rate it was able to slowly recharge the tablet when it was turned off. Of course, due your homework, these are simply my own personal experiences.

In Asia I can log into my PC in North America for my security system & cameras, uTorrent downloads and so on. I can get my email, browse, access my 15-TB personal cloud (or use my dropbox), sketch out designs and so forth. I have a laptop along for heavier work anyways. I just wait until I can access a free-WiFi (often at malls) and I'm "good-to-go". The 16:9 aspect 10" screen is small enough to hide in clothing - very important in overseas locations. No way I could do that with my Gateway A60 (Acer Iconia A500).

Back in North America it works well for simple everyday tasks. For example, I take it with me when I take the wife shopping so I can surf the web while she shops. It's small enough to hide in my jacket, but not too small like our Nokia X-7 for reading/browsing. As it's very inexpensive so if it i ever stolen it not as big hit to the wallet.

Check YouTube and there is an excellent video on how to install Android Market [see comment section for the YouTube]. I suggest this be the first thing done as the "market" which comes it is useless. For example, I needed MoboPlayer, Dolphin HD and extensions and so forth and that is only to be found at the Android Market. Chat video is an issue (Skype, Yahoo..) so if you need these functions look elsewhere (whcm knows when it will get supported?, if ever).

The second is to install 32 GB (MicroSD). Make sure it is class 10 (fastest) and format it using FAT32, NOT FAT nor HTFS. Transfer as much as you can to the SD card as internal memory is very limited.

I also have additional USB thumb drives and SD/mini/micro cards (with a USB adapter) that I store movies on when on the road. Not all USB devices work - it's hit-or-miss so make sure test them first. Also I find I have to turn the tablet off, then turn it back on, for it to be read correctly. A few hard drives (formatted FAT32) will also work, but many, will not. It's not designed for it but it was a nice discovery.

Also recommended, one of those leather/stand/keyboards. For about $20 it makes your Coby 1125 into a some more akin to a Asus Transformer dock (sans battery). Works well, albiet, a small glitch using CAPS (have to press SHIFT twice).

So if you want a solid no-frills tool, fantastic price (I paid under $ 200) and good quality this might be for you if you do not mind the limitations. In two years we all know the hardware will improve by leaps and bounds anyways.

Note: I use a Iomega ScreenPLay TV Link DX to watch HDTV 1080p movies (rather than tie up my PC). I going to test this tablet shortly to see if it could perform a similar function.

-----

Thumb Drives:

1. Should be formatted as FAT32. HTFS will not work and FAT is limited to 4 GB (per thumb-drive). There is a great (free) partition manager you can get on cnet (download.com) for this task, let me know if you require the name.
2. 4 GB per file size limit. 1080p files are usually too large & wastes space.
3. Turn off the COBY, insert thumb drive, restart. It may detect it when inserted without powering down, however, on mine this works better.
4. Use media converters on a PC or Mac (if you have one) to adjust media to a format better suited for the Coby (resolution, screen ratio..). I'll post what specifications I use in another post if you wish. I use Aimersoft DRM Media Convertor for this. I usually get the file size to about 1 GB for a full movie. Sometimes I format the movie so it works on my 3" Philips Muse screen as well as my Coby.
* If using on a jet try to go dual-voice rather than "subs" (sub-titles) for such things as Japanese anime. I find watching 30-minute episodes sometimes better than taking along 2-hour movies.

(Working Thumb Drives)
1. Duracell 8GB (I bought this at Futureshop)
2. Lexar 16 GB
* I will update this shortly as I will retest two other thumb-drives.
* I have not had any luck with 32 GB thumb-drives yet although some others have (one person even got a hard drive working)

(Using a NexxTech USB to SD Card Adapter from TheSoure (RadioShack)
1. Dane-Elec 16 GB Class 10 SD Cards (I have 6 of these as they are much smaller than thumb drives). I bought this at TheSource (Radio Shack) when they were 50% off. Roughly a dollar per gigabyte is a good deal for a "class 10" (fastest) card.

(Using a MicroSD adapter)
I have several MicroSD cards I've used. They are in other devices right now so I'll update this once I can power them down. Once prices drop this option is better as MicroSD cards take up very little space. As with SD cards go for the "class 10" units. Look for a bundle which includes a USB adapter (if you do not already own one) so you can add/remove files directly on your PC. The best part is as most new electronics seem to use micro-SD cards so you can use them 'down-the-road' for whatever other electronics you buy.
TIP: Lets say you buy a new cell from Amazon and it comes with a 4GB card which you 'upgrade' to 32 GB. Save the old card and use it for your Coby to store movies. Recycle old cards rather than put them in a landfill.

In the works, tips and notes:
1. I am now exploring the option of using a projector on the HDMI port. You can get a Pico LED projector for about $150 (iGo) and up (very small, works in very dark rooms only) and bulb media projectors for about $ 400 (2700+ lumens and higher for brighter rooms). Amazon has a great selection & very good prices.
This way when I travel I can show family & freinds (example: party, outdoors..) photos much easier (80" or greater projection size) and also watch movies "on the road" (I plan to use a white, blank wall for this). The HDMI will also work with my 32" LCD computer screen (I use a HDMI switcher). The projectors will work with other devices as well such as a PS3.

2. For those into Japanese anime and manga here are some tips. Try "Crunchyroll" - you can stream pretty much any episode of most Japanese Anime to your Coby. It's free and legal. So if you just need to catch up on the latest episode of Bleach or Naruto while waiting for a jet at the airport, as long as you can find a free WiFi 'hotspot' you're in luck. As they are streamed episodes they do not reside in your internal memory of SD card. It's basically the same as watching a YouTube video. There are many manga readers as well as 'comic' readers, audio-books and e-books available for those whom would rather read. You can usually load up books and chapters ahead of time for times when you do not have a WiFi connection. Amazon, of course, is famous for books.

3. Many jets are also offering WiFi (at extra cost), some even on overseas flights. Something people on long flights may wish to consider. You'll either need an external battery pack or a power outlet on the jet if the flight is of a long duration.

4. I'll post about clouds, streaming video players shortly as well as some 'must-have' programs. I like the Iomega Cloud hard drive, I have had troubles with the Seagate GoFlex. I can stream via the WiFi from the drive right to my tablet, way cool. You can also stream to many other devices such as a PS3.

5. I use this daily for music listening as well. I have some portable speakers which use 4-C batteries (designed for portable DVD players). I recommend a program called "PowerAMP". You can try it for free, although, it's $ 4.99 to purchase (which I did). If you adjust the equalizer and the StereoFX" in the "Volume/Tone" area you can get amazing sound. Of couse it has many features from standard "playlists" to lyrics and more. Basically the Coby functions as my portable stereo now. I use 900 MHz wireless headphones when I need even greater portability.
* You can also use a "FM transmitter" to broadcast it to your home stereo, portable stereo or car stereo. Quite handy but sound quality is not as good (sounds like s FM station).

6. Try Opera Mobile if you need a fast browser. Make sure to goto "options" and turn the Turbo "ON" for very fast load times. I usually browse while running PowerAMP at the same time. I highly recommend downloading "Adobe Flash" as well. Both are free.

7. I am testing a $ 4.99 program which allows the camera to be used as a (real)radiation detector. I plan to test this soon due to the ongoing Fukushima issues.

8. Testing some other external batteries. Using a 140 WH I ran the tablet all night and morning updating 1,000 chapters of Manga and the battery was down only 25%. With certain restrictions you might be able to use a CCTV rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack. I'm testing one now which has 5 VDC, 9VDC, 12 VDC output. Handy when you require extended runs off the grid.

9. For about $ 15 you can purchase a great keyboard-stand-case (fake-leather). So at times when you need to type a-lot it 'transforms' your tablet into a laptop of sorts. Mine works fine except I have to press the "shift" key twice for CAPS. Dollar stores have great tablet stand available for $ 2. It will hold your tablet in the portrait or landscape mode. It's small enough so you can watch movies from the food tray during a long flight. In an emergency you can purchase for $ 1 stands which normally hold up plates and portraits. There is also a 10.1" padded hard-case for about $ 10 which is a nice size and will hold the $ 2 stand as well as the tablet.

10. If you want a better keyboard layout when typing (and audible clicks) on the tablet itself and more options, try "GO Keyboards", it's also free to try if I remember correctly.

11. I have not used a scratch protector. I clean the screen using a 'micro-fiber' cloth which you can buy for $ 1.

----

Coby MID 1125-4G Home Theater Setup (or How to Pimp Your Ride)

I was conducting further tests in a "home theater" type setup. I never intended my Coby MID1125-4G for this application but none-the-less, a wonderful surprise. I am outputting 720p/1080p HDMI to an Epson EX5210 projector to a screen output size of about 120" for these tests (I will test it at 200" next). The "screen" is a wall - I just removed two pictures and remount them once I am done. Why waste space?, and why pay extra for a pull-down screen? Aside from the tablet an excellent device to use for this application is the Iomega ScreenPlay TV Link DX.

The tablet-projector setup is very well-suited for family outdoor movie nights, apartments (if space is very limited 'short-throw' projectors should be considered), homes, businesses and even hotel rooms. I'll review the Epson EX5210 elsewhere but it has some great features - for example - it does NOT require a bulb cool-down period - very, very important if travelling in nations where power outages are frequent (else the bulb goes "boom"). 2700 lumens is good for "dark to moderately-lit rooms" but you'll need more light output in very bright rooms. The tablet is handy if (say) a PC/Mac is located in another room.

Why bother with HDMI extenders, wireless HDMI - just use your tablet beside your projector. Also handy in situations (ie: outdoors) when you only have 1 long extension cord with 1 3-prong outlet. Plug the projector in, use battery powered speakers and run the tablet from it's internal batteries and/or battery-extender pack.
** btw, the $$$ you saved in a Coby over an iPad2 can easily pay for the projector and then some.

For sound I used the speaker jack on the Coby and outputted to some battery powered speakers designed for mobile DVD players and powered by 4-C batteries. You could just as easily run a cable to your home stereo. Output may not be 7.1 digital-surround-sound but it will do. Beside's who's listening when your gaze is fixed to a 200" screen? Actually it's kinda funny having a 10.1" tablet output to 100" or 200".

I plug the HDMI cable in AFTER the Coby has booted so it is properly detected. A "HDMI" should appear in the top, left portion of the screen next to where the battery status normally appears (if you've enabled it). If it doesn't simply unplug the HDMI cable and replug it in. Pull down the menu & select the HDMI and you can adjust the HDMI settings without having to go-to "settings" - handy. I ran 1080p without a problem, if the screen appears "blank" on the projector try moving it to "720p" mode. On my projector the output is XGA so 720p is fine (1080p translates in the projector to 720p).
* I got a micro-HDMI to HDMI covertor and mini-USM to USB adapter both for about $5. The COBY does NOT use a full size HDMI or USB slot.

Quality at 120" is sharp and quite nice for movies, slide presentations, and so forth. He*l, everything looks good! One minor glitch - on video playback the Coby screen may appear "garbled" but the playback on the projector is fine. Not really an issue - if you touch the screen the controls will appear 'ungarbled' in the forefront and the touch options work as expected. So with running video files it may not always be a two monitor setup.

** Note1: On the Coby the:
- SDCard is usually referring to the Coby's internal 4GB memory,
- scsi_sda1 is usually the USB mounted storage device such as a "thumb-drive",
- tflash usually refers to the (optional) microSD card. I use a 32 GB, class 10 on mine.

** Note2: Testing many players such as:
Music
KMplayer
Mobo Video Player
MoboPlayer
Zimly
Gallery
MX Video Player <- My Preferred player
QQPlayer
PowerAMP <- My default for all music
TubeMate (Downloads YouTubes)
VLC Direct
AndroMote < Handy to transfer from my cloud to the tablet in one shot on my WiFi
.. and others - have 6 or so "streaming" apps being tested right now.

** Note3: If you're (say) listening to a business mp3 one trick is to "save it to flash" for later listening. On mine I open the mp3 (or media file), select "Opera" (DO NOT CHECK THE BOX THAT SAYS "Do THiS EVERY TIME"). When Opera Mobile opens I select "Download", the select the menus until I get to TFLASH (the microSD card is called TFLASH on the Coby). There in my 32 GB microSD card I have setup file folders for music, business presentations, movies, camera photos and so on. Select the correct folder, and let it save. Select "minimize" to run the download in the background. Once downloaded to the tablet I can then use whatever media player I wish to play it back. This trick works with most media files such as videos. For example, for business mp3's I tend to use PowerAMP and run it to my wireless headphones connected to the media jack so I can get other work done at the time time. This is very handy when you've got temporary access to a free-WiFi zone - save it and play it later.

** Note4: So far no problems running BlueRay quality 1080p files. I would imagine I'm really pushing the single-core, 1GHz processor sans video chips. None-the-less has kept up well. I am conducting tests on many multi-sound track files as well as sub-titled ones. Just like I RIP my CDs for convenience I do the same with my DVDs I bought. COvert hem then store them so they don't take up all my space.

Method "A"
Make sure to insert the thumb-drive and/or (micro)SD card and adapter BEFORE starting the Coby so the card is detected. Turn off the Coby and insert another card, reboot. Start-up your player and the rest depends upon your specific player.

Method "B"
If you have a GoFlex (cloud) or Iomega "cloud" drive you can use your web browser to log into the hard drive (it's really a mini-Linux setup) and transfer over your files to the Coby. From there you just follow method "A".

Method "C"
Use a utility like "AndroMot" to move files (movie, music, photo collections (digital camera..)..) via your local WiFi network. You can select files on your cloud enabled hard drives, transfer, and then watch. This works well and doesn't tie up the WiFi Wireless LAN for too long (just the transfer). It's similar to Method "B" but with a nice GUI interface. I'm going to buy AndroMOT as works great for me.

Method "D"
Stream from an on-line media service. Some may cost extra and others are free (funded by ads). I have NOT tested Hulu or Netflix. I do run the CrunchyRoll android app to run and watch Japanese anime like Bleach - streamed from their server over my wireless link into the Coby. Works great and looks amazing at 120". It's also free and legal.

Method "E"
Remote control a PC application. I am testing this using VLC-Remote. I'm not particularly interested in this myself.

Method "F"
Stream using DLMP and so on. I'm testing this now. Unlike AndroMote the files remain on the (cloud/streaming-enabled network) hard drive(s) and "stream" to the tablet. It ties up bandwidth on your WiFi *BUT* doesn't require any storage space on the tablet. Also as my drives have Pogo and other utilities built in in theory I should be able to stream outside to the web (example: pull up a movie while waiting in the airport) but I am researching various security concerns BEFORE I unplug ports on my router or setup a DMZ zone. Variations do exist - for example, one is a "dropbox" like utility where you can stream from a cloud where you 'rent" space.

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Coby MID 1125-4G Home Theater Setup II (or How to Pimp Your Ride II)

Thus far, MXVideo Player works best for my requirement. It transfers to SDCard memory, runs sub-titles nicely, has many features and (best of all) you can "pinch-to-zoom" so you can get the perfect screen size. Really nice. Many players only have a few set sizes to choose from (zoom-to-fill, original, 16:9, 4:3) whereas the "pinch-to-zoom" option on MX Video Player allows you to manually adjust to get the 'perfect fit'. The features with subs alone are great. For instance, you can choose different font sizes, different typefaces and locations/background on the screen. Great if you're into (say) Japanese Anime.

Now with Method "F" I suggest UPnPLAY. Thus far works well (and it seems to run form SDCard well too).

Basically once you've downloaded it you can select from your local media servers. On my internal WiFi network I can choose from various Windows PC (windows 7, 64-bit premuim for example), my GoFlex Home Network Storage System, and my Iomega Home Network Media Cloud. It's great for music collections (playlists too), photos (ie: digital camera collections), business slides & presentations, and of course movies.

Then I can choose from the appropriate folder (or other options) and eventually "drill-down" to the media file I wish to play & select it.

Once selected I can then choose the media program I want UPnPLAY to stream to. Think of UPnPLAY as a bridge from DNLA-enabled PCs and hard drives to your tablet. I usually use MXPlayer though I have others. If I want to save it on my tablet I'll use a "trick" - I pick "Opera" (I use the Mobile version), I make sure to *NOT* check the "always use this option", and then select "download". I go through the menus - normally I save to my "TFlash" (my 32GB microSD card) or a thumb-drive.

If I choose a video player option it will immediately begin streaming from the network (DNLA-enabled) hard drive, through the WiFi, to my tablet and often through the HDMI to my home theater projector.

Basically:

DNLA-Enabled Drives/PCs --> UPnPLAY --> Media Player of Your Choice --> Optionally via HDMI to output device (HDMI Projector, HDMI computer monitor, HDMI TV..)

I use this at 720p/1080p to a 200" screen using my Epson 5210 projector and it works great. No problems, lags, sub-title or sync problems.

I'll be testing for streaming outside my local WiFi network shortly. For example, stream a movie from the DNLA-enabled hard drives to my tablet at (say) a WiFi hot zone at the airport or on the jet.

Note: For those wanting to "root", the latest version of SuperOneClick worked great on my MID-1125-4G. Make sure to send a donation to the author for supporting the Coby 1125-4G in the latest version. I MIGHT test a ICS custom ROM sometime in the future. Have not found anything which can increase (overclock) CPU speed above 1 GHz (yet). ES File Browser works fine when the tablet is rooted. As 75% of battery goes to the (not needed) "CELL STANDY" (goto "spare-bits" and check out the battery utilities, I am disabling the files which cause this. Let ya all know how much battery life improves. Downloaded some paid games as well, seem to work fine.

Last edited:

butcher0288

Jan 4, 2012
Hi Ericw

You have got here an awesome review.
I´got one coby kyros MID1125 -4G too and i´ve got the same opinion has you, not the best but for what it has it does a good work.

I have some questions for you like :
With the coby rooted what rom do you have ?
With the coby rooted what market do you have ?
And the 1080p files that you played, what size did they have ?

I´tested a 1.6 Gb file (1080p) and worked great too but with bigger files i don´t know how he will work ...

thank you very much for your review, you have done an awesome work.

butcher

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Butcher0288:

Right now I am using the stock ROM. I was looking at another ROM (KYROS TABLET ZONE - KTZ) in the future. The MID-1125-4G does everything I require except run a hard drive (have a solution in the works) - it's more for fun & to learn more about the Android OS.

I'm using the "old market" option of this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BrWSC2uiAg

There is one potential "plus" to being "rooted" If you use" ES File Explorer" (enabled in the preferences for "root", RW, and writing to/of system files) you can rename the phone.apk (I renamed it as "phone.old" (once renamed it crashed, and I rebooted)). Hat trip to other members of this forum - it was from the many excellent threads here were I learned about the "cell standby" issues and have gotten many excellent ideas. Optionally: another member on a different thread mentioned using "Titanium backup" and "freezing" phone.apk (still requires to be "rooted" but I have not tested this yet.

In "spare parts", "battery usage" you'll note that "cell standby" is using about 74% of the battery power - the rest is going for for WiFi and the Display. Basically the Coby MID-1125-4G "THINKS" it's a cell-phone and is wasting precious power attempting to "connect". I'm have no idea why Coby did not disable this themselves. Mine now only displays "WiFi" and "Display" -

So now without that using battery power it appears to be running MUCH longer. I was running some "tower games" last night as a test. I played about 2-hours of "Sentinel 3" (my favorite) and was down to about 84% battery. I have brightness set to default, WiFi was on, had a download going on, music/sound FX on low - Sentinel 3 really runs the processor hard as it's graphics intensive and the action non-stop (I always play "endless").

So without using my external battery pack I should be able to play over 8-hours (with WiFi on, screen to medium brightness); with an external battery pack over 24-hours straight.
Note: Page #36 of the manual states: 13.5 hours music, 5.5 hours video, 6 hours web browsing -- I test it against those figures shortly. They do not specify too many settings (just a few in very small print - I'll use those) - I'll assume "brightness" set to default, music is 128 kbps, 1920 by 1080 MPEG4/AVG, and WiFi "off" for all but web-browsing.

I have not gotten a CPU program to be able to over-clock yet, sadly. Might require a custom ROM for this. I'll try some "ad blocks" and other "root" tools later.

For any files including 1080p, with FAT32 you are limited to 4GB in per INDIVIDUAL file (or less). If it exceeds 4 GB just use something like "Aimersoft Media Converter" to optimize the media file until it's less then this limit. Perhaps put it to 720p, or try different compression methods to get something you require. If you're only outputting to the Coby MID-1125-4G screen then a resolution of WSVGA 1024 x 600 will match the screen resolution - files set for this are about 1GB in size (full length movie). Very handy if you have to run off the microSD card or USB thumb-drive.

One of my projects is moving old movies and photos (camcorder 8mm tape, 30 mm prints..) to a digital format on my cloud so I can watch it on the big screen. While I only intended my Coby MID-1125-4G for browsing on occasion at the mall it's really a kick-as* machine - I'm finding so many uses! So aside from watching streamed "TV" and movies on a 200" screen (lol, Naruto @ 200" is great!) you can view old photos and videos at this format too. What a cool family project!

EW

Note: ** Do "rooting". "phone.apk" and other tasks AT OWN RISK.​

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
My Coby MID-1125-4G which is about 6 months old (and heavily used) has shown wear & tear in the area I expected - the silver "home" button used to go to the "home" and bring up the task list pushed in & isn't working all to well.

No problemo - I prefer apps to do these functions.

Solution:

1. I installed "GO Launcher EX" free from the market. Works great, much better than the standard launcher/desktop. Allows for cool effects, many new features and is much better. Many new features - even the ICS drop and icon on another icon to make a folder feature. At start-up I did not check the "every-time" option as I prefer to choose "desktops". Many "themes" can be used - I'm using "Honeycomb".
* At the top right of each home page I use a 1by1 ''Gauge-battery widget". On the apps drawer I have "Opera Mobile", "App Drawer" and "Settings". These are available on each home page.

2. Next I added "Yummy Bar". This allows applications to be added to the drop-down status bar. I normally have "Go launcher EX", "Yummy Bar" and "Opera" added. The former so that it acts like the "home" button - I can jump right to my new "Go Launcher EX" desktop/launcher. The "Yummy Bar" application I also added to the status bar so I can add/remove new applications as required (& just-in-case-I forgot to add "GO launcher EX". Lastly, "Opera" as it's my preferred browser. I have to start "Yummy Bar" each time - I'll fix this next (slight bug as it must be restarted each time manually due to an error).

3. Then I added "Auto-Rotate Switch" application. One item I've missed on my COBY MID-1125-4G that I use a-lot on my Gateway A60 (A500) is the screen rotation lock. So now from my stays bar I can "freeze" the rotation - great for reading (say) Manga while still in bed! So now I can pull down the status menu and "lock" the screen in either landscape or portrait mode.

4. I'll add a task switcher & 1-touch status pull down widget next and update this post later on.

--- (1-11-12 update)

COBY now comes shipped with "GetJar" instead of Appslib. Even if you have "market" "GetJar' is handy as many applications can be downloaded for FREE. For instance, i have downloaded (legally) "TuneIn Radio Pro", "Samurai II:Vegence" and "Sentinal3" for free. So check it out BEFORE buying new applications on Market.

---

Speaking of handy applications, "TuneInRadio Pro" is great for listening to online broadcasts, radio stations, and podcasts. so if you're looking to listen to a radio show in a far away nation, a business broadcast or what-not, a very good application (and its free right now on GetJar). Even hard-to-find ones like CoasttoCoast and Rense. Better yet, you can RECORD them to your tablet if you want! And best of all, it runs in the background (I use wireless headphones so I can get other work done). Using "System Panel Lite" it shows the CPU averaging at 30% @144 MHz (100 is the lowest). So very little CPU time is being used -- and don't forget other tasks are running too. You can add a widget to the home pages for quick(er) access.

---

Working very well is "PowerAMP PRO". I get fantastic sound using the built-in equalizer and "StereoFX" to some DVD 4-AA (battery) powered speakers. I can also output to wireless headphones, my home stereo, and other devices. Like with "TuneInRadio Pro" I've added a widget to the home page for quick(er) access. You can try the "free" version then upgrade if it meets your requirements.

---

Need a better keyboard layout and/or sound feedback? I have used "GO Keyboard" for several months now & love it. I'd never go back to the stock keyboard. It doesn't require much in the way of system resources and you can optionally add themes, sounds other enhancements.

---

Looking to "root"? I used the latest version of "SuperOneClick" and it worked. So you might want to check that out. Only 1 glitch thus far - I'm working on it. It's "free" to try but please support the author as I will (voluntary).

---

"SystemPanel Lite" is a great utility. I'll buy the full version soon. Handy to check CPU speeds, and monitor/kill tasks. I may add it to the status bar using "Yummy Bar" and use it as a task switcher.

---

"aTorrent" works well for torrent downloads to your tablet. Also, "uTorrent Remote" does work fairly well (few bugs) if your dl'ing from a PC (this just allows you to remote your PC's aTorrent from your tablet).

---

GetJar has a slightly older version of "Skype" which does VOICE/TEXT fine on the COBY MID-1125-4G. No version yet does video on the COBY but IMO its a matter of time. Sound/voice came through quite well.

---

For transferring media files from a cloud drive to your tablet try "AndroMote". If you want to stream I use "UPnPlay" to stream form my PC/Iomega Cloud drives/Seagate GOFLEX cloud drives to the tablet, then to "MX Video Player PRO" and either to the tablet screen, my HDMI computer monitor or more-often-then-not, 200" projection screen.
* "MX Video Player PRO" works very well - even with subs (ie: Japanese Anime..) and multi-lingual options. The best is "pinch-to-zoom" so you can size the playback just right. Others like MoboPlayer have only a few fixed sizes (4:3, 16:9, real size..).

---

If you get a corrupted file you may get a "android.process.media" error upon start-up. I got mine during the "postscan" of the EXTERNAL microSD card (referring to my 32GB, class 10 microSD card in this case). made a backup then started moving around folders until I got the file removed, then, replaced it. It was a media file - perhaps corrupted at playback. SCANDISK on the PC did NOT detect nor fix it. IMO, it occurs when the file is scanned and added to the media collection (maybe MXPlayerPro?). Just use your PC/MAC to transfer folders until you find the bad one (after making a backup).

---

Titanium Backup Pro" wrks well save one issue - I get an error about "BusyBox" not elevating to SU (SuperUser) access. Otherwise seems to work well - well test the freeze for "phone.apk" to see if it has any effect at all (positive or negative) on the "Cellular Standby" power as indicated in "Spare Parts", "battery history".

---

Working with various (some custom) external battery configurations to extend battery life. With one I have run my tablet all night and well into the morning and only used about 25% power. Handy for extended periods away form AC, long travels or during emergencies (ie: watch movies waiting for a hurricane/snow emergency to pass).

I'm testing a bunch of other items & will post more if anyone wishes.

EW

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Kairnage:

Thank-you, downloaded it after I read your post and it's working great! Getjar has free apps, but, 1 Mobile Market has a much better selection and a new market look and feel. I much prefer it.

EW

mrmouth

Jan 11, 2012
Hey Eric, this thread has been very helpful. Greatly appreciated.

Few questions if I might:

As 75% of battery goes to the (not needed) "CELL STANDY" (goto "spare-bits" and check out the battery utilities, I am disabling the files which cause this. Let ya all know how much battery life improves. Downloaded some paid games as well, seem to work fine.

What files would those be? I'm already massively impressed with the battery power (based on what I was expecting), but more is always good. It is using 74% on mine.

I haven't rooted for warranty reasons, and I am having issues getting some apps to install. For instance, you say you are using GO keyboard, which I cannot install. But I also do not have flash installed, so I thought that might be an issue. I'm a weather nerd and all the good weather radar apps are not installing.

I'm using SlideIT for a keyboard. I'm happy with it, but I'm itching to try out GO Keyboard as it is the most popular.

I have a 16gb sd card coming my way and Im wondering if I would be better uninstalling apps before transferring them, as I want to say Ive read they can leave bits and pieces behind?

-regards

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
mrmouth:

I rooted mine so I am testing to see if the files "phone.apk" and "telephony.apk" (the phone.apk shows up in "Spare parts", "Battery History" as "Cellular Standby". With "Titanium Backup" I can freeze or unfreeze those files and conduct proper tests to see if the battery life is based on 'simple logic' (ie: X units of power used per process) or something more complex (like determining battery power based on the battery voltage and a known profile of how the battery discharges).

In other words, does it increase/decrease run-time or do-nothing? It seems to run longer but then again, I was testing some battery optimization programs around then. I used to browse about 2-3 hours and the battery would be down 50% or more, the manual states, I can browse for about 6 hours. So I'm going to conduct some live-tests to see if the "74% Cellular Standby" was based on actual power wasted or not.

Alternatively, I can simply rename them (ie: phone.apk to phone.old) and conduct the tests. Both require "root" access. I wouldn't "void" the warranty as it's not for certain freezing/disabling these apks will positively effect battery life. I'll post more once I run a test.

btw: I have my WiFi off right now as I am playing music via "PowerAMP". "Battery History" shows "Display - 100%". Makes me feel better at least!

----

I had an email on external battery packs. If you're interested I'll get into those. I can run my COBY 12+ hours and have the intenral battery at 100% and the external down < 25%. I have various battery configuraiton for my COBY and share them with my Gateway A60 (Acer A500).

I use external battery packs as I often run long periods away from the AC outlet, its MUCH healthier (never be within 2' of a laptop/tablet when it's plugged in), and it preserves the internal battery pack. On the COBY it will require some soldering to remove and replace the battery. Lithium-Ion batteries are good for about 500 charge/discharge cycles so I want to preserve the internal battery as much as possible as the externals are much easier to replace. My smallest unit, uses 4-AA rechargeable batteries which are very easy to source.

* Also many ways to reduce power consumption I an write about if you wish.
* Tablets are great as part of a home power conservation program. They use far less energy than a desktop or laptop. This month I got my hydro bill down to $ 95 (2 people for 2 months) and I run my PC 24-hours/7 days. That's $ 47.50 per month. Next bill I expect it to be $ 90 ($ 45 / month, for 2 people).

----

I didn't need Super-User (SU) access or "root" to run "GO Keyboards". I have run it from when I first go the COBY as the keys didn't "click" with the internal Android version. Go to "Settings", "Applications", "Manage Applications" and move all you can to the "SD Card". You have to do this for each file. It could be if you check the memory at the bottom right of "Manage Applications" (when it opens and displays the applications list) you do not have enough memory. You don't want to get much below 30 MB available. Use "menu" to view by size (or not). I deleted a few which use excessive memory and won't transfer to the "SD Card" memory segment such as "QQPlayer" and "Maps".

Memory on the COBY is a bit "odd". The internal memory is divided as thus (according to Titanium Backup):

System ROM: 188 MB
Internal: 270 MB <--- This is what you see displayed in the bottom-right of "Manage Applications" of "Settings"
SD Card: 3.30 GB <-- This is where it goes when you use "Move to SD Card" in "Manage Applications"

^---- All three are the SAME internal 4GB memory - it's just divided up. Moving to "SD Card" does NOT mean moving to the microSD/TFLASH card, if you have installed one.

Ext. SD Card: 32 GB <--- Often called "TFLASH" in other application. Saving to the "SDCARD" is saving to the "SD Card" segment of the internal 4 GB, saving to the TFLASH is saving to the optional microSD card. That is why you can run applications from the "SD Card" while the instructions usually state "Don't run from SD Card" - IMO they are usually referring to the microSD/TFLASH card. Mine is 32 GB (class 10) - the amount will depend upon the microSD card you have installed (if any).

You can't run applications from the EXTERNAL microSD/TFLASH. Goto ESFile Manager or similar, setup directories (ie: Music, Videos..) and save your data there. "Titanium Backup" saves there as well.

Same for your weather applications - they won't load up without enough memory. Be careful loading new applications, some might require as much as 40 MB available to install. If the status bar shows "Application could not install (or update if updating), free up more memory. Go through every application and "Move to SD" for each one where the option is available. Software exists to also free up memory - I can cover a few if you wish.

I had this with the "GO Launcher EX" - needed a-lot of free memory - but once installed most of the code later transferred to "SD Card" in "Manage Applications". I also use "ES Monitor Lite" to end tasks and free up memory in that segment. If short on memory you might have to download ONE application, install, move to SD card - then repeat for the next program.

EW

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Testing several new configurations:

My desktop (launcher) is now defaulted to "Go Launcher EX" (as previously reported); I was also testing SPB Shell 3D (for the "WOW" factor). For those interested you have have more than one launcher - I have three right now but will reduce to two (stock and 1 custom) once I figure out what works best. There are also handy (and free) utilities to transfer over your existing desktop. You can choose your launcher and modify it whenever you wish.

Now as mentioned above I have added new applications as my "home" button no longer works reliably (I probably have to crack open the tablet and solder/glue it). So I have been continuing to work around have to use the button for task-switching or for getting to the home page. For that & more the status bar works better.

Try these to make the most of the status bar:

"Yummy Bar" - Adds applications and more to the pull down status bar at the top. I have added: "Go Launcher EX" (so I can get to "home" from the status bar), "Opera Mobile", "Yummy Bar" (so I can dd/remove/re-order as required), "Market", "System Panel Lite". For some reason I need to restart this manually each time (small bug).

"Alt-Tab" - Display a list of last open files (task switcher) in the status bar. Handy when working back and forth between various applications.

"Auto-Rotate Switch" - So as with my Gateway A60 (A500) I can lock the screen rotation - very handy reading manga.

"SeePU CPU Graph" - So I can monitor the CPU load and memory load from the status bar.

"CPU Usage Monitor" - Same as above, testing to see which is more accurate & with a faster response.

----

With "Go Launcher EX" - very happy with the results. I've added "Gauge Battery Widget" and "Beautiful Widgets" (clock) on the top-center of each page. I also have the temperature sent to the task bar. "BW" is free right now on GetJar. For custom effects I'm using the free theme "Honeycomb" and using "chords" for my transition effects. My "weather skin" for "BW" is "Stone Clock" to add contrast to the screen. I can still use "Live Wallpaper" - using "Magic Smoke".

The launch/task bar at the right I've configured for 3 pages (moves) of 5 apps so I always have what I require most there (as well as the status bar). Each of the 3 pages of applications (apps bar) has a theme - the main is most common applications, the second is music/video/streaming and the third is currently empty.

With "Go Launcher EX" you can have up to 30 screens (easily added/removed/moved [change order]) and you can set anyone to be your primary home screen. Very nice. Making new folders is easy - like ICS you just move one icon over another. Tons of ways to custom configure - for example if I swipe-up up I've set it so I got a screen with ALL of my pages (great to edit), if I swipe-down I go my"home-page". Widgets can also be re-sized and you can change the "grid-sizing" of the pages".

I've also added "Go Launcher EX" to my Gateway A60 (Acer Iconia A500). So basically both LOOK basically the same. ""Go Launcher EX" addresses the weakness of each OS - with Honeycomb 3.3.1 I still couldn't create folders (as I can on Gingerbread versions of Android), and with the COBY Gingerbread, I get upgrades and BUG FIXES to the default launcher now. For example, if memory was low icons would for some reason disappear into a folder SOMEWHERE. Since COBY refuses to send out updates the OS the only real solution was to "replace" the launcher (or use another ROM).

----

There are well over 60 launchers available. Some give a "Honeycomb" (Android 3.x) look&feel, others "Ice-Creme-Sandwich" (Andriod 4.x) look&feel, some are free, some are pay, some are 3-D and many are unique. So got the various "markets" & do a "google-search" and you'll find many to choose from. No reason to settle for the "stock" Android launcher and there's no need to upgrade your COBY tablet to get ICS. You can even have more than one launcher on the system!

Example: Test Review of 60 free Home Replacement Launcher Alternative Apps for Droid / Android phones: Best? Smallest? Fastest?

----

With streaming as I mentioned previously (from a cloud enabled hard drive, to "MX Video Player Pro", to a 200" HDMI projection screen) make sure to have about 30 - 40 MB free else it may not stream smoothly. 1080P streaming is really pushing it, 720p runs very well. I'm testing all sorts of streaming applications from 3rd parties as well. Crackle, which is free, has a nice assortment of free Anime and movies. Slight issues with multi-subs so I'm working on a 2nd video player for those.

----

The tablet (at least mine) requires 3A (3,000 mA) @ 5VDC, positive tip to operate and simultaneously re-charge. Check your manual or adapter (specs are printed on it). Right now have been running off a 1A, USB, 130 Wh, external battery from 6:30 am until 4 pm and battery power on the internal (when I disconnect the external battery) is down to 59%. With a new setup in the works that can supply more amps (current) I'll be able to run & charge without using up the internal battery. I ran mixed application including heavy video and work-related tasks.

----

"SPB Shell 3D" works fine on the COBY. The shell *IS* expensive but gives a "WOW!" factor when showing off your tablet. The interface is sleek, fast and does NOT consume much in he way of memory or CPU power. Actually, quite surprising! I'll be making it my default launcher for both tablets and will be erasing "GO Launcher EX" to save memory.

This is how it looks:
Coby Kyros mid7015 Rooted running SPB Shell 3D - YouTube* You do NOT need to root it to run.

EW

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Update 1-27-2012

SPB Shell 3D continues to be a very good product. I use it on two tablets & really like it. I am also running some "live wallpaper" with it - one with and aquarium and one with a snow scene. Both are spectacular and it blows away friends.

Testing some batteries one the COBY next week & will update here. A $30 external battery should add about 8-hours run-time to the tablet (per external battery) & can be used to recharge other USB and 5 VDC devices two. I have two batteries which in addition to the 5 VDC also supply 9 VDC and 12 VDC. The latter I use to run my Gateway TPA60 (Acer A500). So one battery can power many devices. I've posted on this in the A500 area.

Also bought and installed some widgets. Mainly to also view CPU/memory/CPU frequency usage on the COBY and Gateway tablets. The 3D shell and live wallpaper even with PowerAMP Pro in the background don't take up much CPU time - that was surprising.

TIP: For torrents if you run an Iomega Cloud Media Server. I have several Seagate GoFlex and an Iomega media (cloud) drive as well. The latter is by far my favorite as it has so many options and functions. Now, the "hard drive" if you read the specs is based on Linux (same as Android) and is actually a DUAL-Core, 600 MHz processor with 256 MB memory. What you can do to save power/money is use the tablet to INITIAL load torrents to the hard drive and then let the hard drive download and/or upload the torrent(s) files. So once the torrent (.tor) file is in the appropriate hard drive share you can turn off the tablet/PC or use it for other things.

This way you can turn off your tablet and/or PC and let the drive work on the downloads for you! The drive only uses 3 watts to 9 watts so running it 24 hours for the torrents does NOT consume much energy. Also as it has USB ports for printers and additional hard drives - use 'em. I have TWO external hard drives added and will test a hub. So you can use this "dual-core" power in the hard drive to also run the hard-drive(s) for media services. I use UpNPlay to stream it from the hard drive to my COBY or Gateway (Acer A500) to MX Video Player Pro and out to the tablet screen and/or the HDMI projector and/or HDMI computer monitor.

Really handy for media playing (say) home movies. You can convert those ancient 'super-8's', LPs, CDs, 8mm, BETA.VHS, 30 mm slides and prints (as well as newer digital formats), and then put them into a directory you can stream to your tablet later on. So nice if you want to torture family members (preferably in front as many as you can) and show them movies when they were 4 yo, innocent and doing some spectacularly stupid! Isn't technology wonderful?

EW

Last edited:

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Good stuff. I have a Kyros 8125 and expect a Kyros 1126 to arrive in a few days.

I have similar positive experiences with video. My primary reason for buying the 8125 was to stream Netflix from a WiFi connection to a flat screen TV using the HDMI port. The 8125 does a far better job than I might have expected from a 'budget' tablet. Being able to read email, check eBay, Facebook and LinkedIn, follow news and ports and check my investments using a small mobile WiFi device are a bonus. So are all the games.

I bought the 1126 as an upgrade for the larger screen as well as being able to use Google Earth with the capacitive screen.

I've been able to read a 40GB low power USB-SATA harddrive with a FAT32 partition by connecting through a powered USB hub. The USB port on the tablet won't power the drive, and it does take a while for Android to read the drive, but it works. I only use the drive for data storage and file transfer. I'll have to try a larger FAT32 drive in the future.

I'm looking for a keboard-case to fit the 1126 tablet. With the taller (7.4") and narrower (9.8") profile I'm concerned it may not fit standard 10" cases.

Thanks...

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Update 2/12/12:

I have begun testing of a CCTV camera battery for the COBY now and thus far, works very well. It's a 5V/9V/12V Li-Ion battery - you can buy them for about $40. I've posted about this in the Acer A500 forum area under "External Battery" as I also use this battery and others for my Gateway A60 (A500) tablet.

The version I have has a black, hard plastic shell instead of just the soft-blue inner liner. The battery takes about 24-hour to charge so buy more than one if you need to use it daily. I used it for about 4-hours last night without having to draw from the internal battery.

The current rating is much higher than is required so it can run and charge the tablet at the same time. This is a major plus - the tablet requires as much as 3A (3,000mA) to charge and run - much less if not charging or if the WiFi is off or the screen not set to full brightness. The battery can supply up to 15 A (15,000 mA) much, much more than is required. Many USB connectors/solutions are limited to 0.5 A (500 mA) to 1.0 A (1,000 mA) thus can only slow the discharge rate (and consequently increase the run-times) at best.

Best of all it comes not only with the AC (110-220VAC) charger but THREE connectors (one for 12V, one for 9V and one for 5V USB). The USB 5VDC connector just happens to have a tip that fits the COBY! Had to cheat a bit with some foil (see the other thread and be very careful as not to short the battery) but otherwise fit great. The USB cable is not fused, however. The 12VDC also fits into my Gateway (Acer A500) and I will try running them both off one battery next time.

I'll more run-time and charging tests and post soon. I suspect I can get 6 to 8-hours out of a single external battery. As the batteries are quite inexpensive you can buy a few and keep them charged and on-hand - great for those times when the power is out for a while or when you're traveling. As I mentioned in the other thread I'm testing the 12VDC aspect for running my external hard drives as well.

As the COBY MID-1125-4G internal battery is soldered in (and thus trickier to replace), and since Li-Ion batteries are good only for about 600 charge cycles, using external batteries when possible can ensure a much longer service life for your tablet.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-9V-12V-D...295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33653e1807

EW

PS - "Thanks" for the thanks, JonsZX2SR. Can you please let me know exactly what drive you used?, I am very intested in this. I'll post more on the streaming - I do the same thing only from various sources such as my streaming hard drives. Actually I'm very impressed with the tablets performance - I was on Yahoo, had Opera running, listening to and recording a radio show and my CPU indicator was registering less than 20% CPU resources used. I'll also post on how make an outdoor "movie night" using your tablet and a projector. I can project using my Epson EX5210 in HD up to 300" (that's a screen almost 2 stories tall) - with my tablet running the show via a stream from my cloud drives.

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Update 2/16/12:

If you go to a fabric-store, craft-store or perhaps Wal-Mart you can buy Velcro strips. Now this is very handy for tablets and laptops. I 've used this mot recently on my Gateway tablet and COBY tablet.

Now with the keyboard-case I mentioned earlier on works great except that the tablet can fall out if your not careful (the case is designed for the tablet to slide in and out easily, and has a built-in keyboard). My fix is simple. There are three brackets which the tablet slides into. In the one to the far left I put in velcro (and used 5-min epoxy for additional strength on each strip) and put another equal-sized strip on the COBY tablet side. I used the smoother side for the COBY, the rougher side of the Velcro in the bracket. Now once I slide my tablet in the Velcro helps to keep it in place so it's harder to drop out (onto the floor). You can use more Velcro as you see fit - better this then a smashed tablet on the ground.

Now with my 5V/9V/12V battery I added Velcro (rough side) to each end of the black battery case. I added a bit of Velcro (smooth) on the case, upper left above the keyboard. I also added Velcro (smooth side) to the back. Thus I can Velcro the battery in place either on the top left of the keyboard (obstructs the touch screen just a little but allows me to view the battery LED and on/off switch) or optionally place the battery on the back of the case near to the ground and out of view (better for when watching movies). Optionally I can Velcro the battery pack directly it to the tablet - I have not tested this yet but it's do-able. I usually use mine in the keyboard-case but this would be better if you use your tablet sans keyboard-case.

Now I can run the tablet all day without AC! In fact I just had it running 8-hours straight and the internal battery is still at 100%. So I get a-lot of use on the tablet away form the AC plug and without wearing out the internal battery which is soldered in and good for perhaps 600 charge/discharge cycles before you need to solder it out and replace it (or buy a new tablet). That's only 1 - 2 years give or take, depending on how heavy you use it.

----

Bought another player, "VPlayer" and thus far works well. I have purchased this and "MX Media Player Pro". Both are good products. More on it as I run it through it's paces. CHeck the insturcitons as there is a great sale on if you DONT buy it at the Android Market.

-----

Testing "Tape Machine Recorder", thus far a great utility for recording from the mic. I use it for an area of interest and study, "speech reversals". The COBY mic isn't the greatest, none-the-less, works well for my applications. So now you can recaord your voice and see if there are reversals, or the infamous Obama "Yes We Can" speech where in reverse some people claim he's saying...well, find out for yourself. Record it and reverse, just for fun. Aside from the reversals it might come in handy for (say) taking notes or lectures - you'd have to test the sensitivity out first.

-----

A really fun game worth consideration is "Asteroid Defense 2". Similar to a tower game but in space. Worth a look. I've played many times via the hard level to the end as well as "survival mode". Quite few options and I love building those cool space stations armed to the teeth. Tons of weapons and upgrades.

----

I have "Rip Tide GT", but it doesn't look as good on the COBY as it does my Gateway A60 (A500) & has some issues with control. I would not recommend this game for the COBY at this time.

----

"XPlane 10" which I play a-lot on the Gateway A60 (A500) works kinda. Great graphics (like MS Flight Simulator) only rudder and pitch controls are keyed to the tablets gyrometer and have issues (si its always crash and burn). Same issue I had with Riptide GT. Hopefully I can find a way to wok around this as it's an amazing simulation otherwise & allows you to fly various jets, props, helicopters and water-landing craft in various places around the world.
See: X-Plane for Android - X-Plane.com
---

I have a bunch of other games I use on the Gateway tablet which I'll test on the COBY if time permits such as GTA III (Grand-Theft-Auto). One I do know work well include Sentinal 3 (aside from one graphics issue which crops up form time to time), SpaceStation, and so on.

EW

Last edited: