Coby MID-1125-4G Review

gameclub4000

Nov 8, 2011
Hi
the MID1125-4G have a very very big memory problem, the 192MB internal storage are EXTREMLY low and do not allow to install apps , the 4GB internal SD card detected as SD card and not as INTERNAL STORAGE, i update 2.3.3 with the official 4.1.1 android but the problem is the same and still do not have gogle play and google talk.
So i can install only 5 apps and the internal storage is full (the apps2sd free some internal storage but all apps need to use INTERNAL STORAGE to work*) and the only thing who can do to fix it is: To give the tablet to my 3 years daughter to brake it and buy a tabled with 16GB+ internal storage and the gogle play and gogletalk preInstaled
!!!
*Restored to default setting have only 111mb FREE INTERNAL STORAGE ,and if i instal FlashPlayer 11, Firefox,Gtalk,GooglePlay,GoogleDrive, the empty internal storage is 54mb using app2sd , :( so dont dear to download Angrydirds from maket cos your device storage is full !!!

** I wondering all that companys who making milion devices crap , do not use them , do not test them , do not try to work whit them for 1 day only !!!

*** so my daugter tell me "pls dady show me the talking tom cat" and i say ok i will uninltall all my apps to can install talkingtom and i give it to you to play !!! :cool:

Last edited:

zorbar

May 15, 2012
Hi
the MID1125-4G have a very very big memory problem, the 192MB internal storage are EXTREMLY low and do not allow to install apps , the 4GB internal SD card detected as SD card and not as INTERNAL STORAGE, i update 2.3.3 with the official 4.1.1 android but the problem is the same and still do not have gogle play and google talk.
So i can install only 5 apps and the internal storage is full (the apps2sd free some internal storage but all apps need to use INTERNAL STORAGE to work*) and the only thing who can do to fix it is: To give the tablet to my 3 years daughter to brake it and buy a tabled with 16GB+ internal storage and the gogle play and gogletalk preInstaled
!!!
*Restored to default setting have only 111mb FREE INTERNAL STORAGE ,and if i instal FlashPlayer 11, Firefox,Gtalk,GooglePlay,GoogleDrive, the empty internal storage is 54mb using app2sd , :( so dont dear to download Angrydirds from maket cos your device storage is full !!!

** I wondering all that companys who making milion devices crap , do not use them , do not test them , do not try to work whit them for 1 day only !!!

*** so my daugter tell me "pls dady show me the talking tom cat" and i say ok i will uninltall all my apps to can install talkingtom and i give it to you to play !!! :cool:

So, lets make your daughter more happy. It's easy to move apps to SD and free your Coby 1125 memory.
First if you didn't done it yet, i really advice you to root your device. How to do it?
- How to root:
First extract all files to your External SD card.

Install in order by numbers.

1. install recovery.apk and start
2. choose update.zip......coby will shutdown, install and reboot
3. start recovery again, choose superuser.zip......coby will shutdown, install and reboot
4. install license and rom manager (german).......start rom manager. Choose "Clockworkmod Recovery installieren" , choose mid1125, yes, CWM3.X
5. install busybox.apk

your device is rooted ;-)

- files you need to root are here: Zippyshare.com - Coby mid1125 root & market.rar

then you should install google apps. to do so, check this link: Install Google Play on Coby’s Jelly Bean Tablets | hoTodi.tv

Everything is working on my MID1125 with latest update from Coby 4.1.1

Anything i can help, just say.

gameclub4000

Nov 8, 2011
:) Thank you zorbar for your reply

Alrady update the tablet with the official android 4.1.1 ( from coby german webside using my tablet serial number )
Already install the official RecoveryTool.apk and the googlePlay >

Work perfectly and is NOT nesesery to ROOT the tablet to work.

But the problem is the same LOW INTERNAL STORAGE (190MB)
if i root the tablet is possible to EXPAND the 190MB internal storage using the NAND 4GB SD cart or the EXTERNAL 32GB SD cart ? **

*Is very funy the tablet have 32+4=36GB free storage and the all aplication and googleplay see and try desperty to use only the 190MB internal sorage, and the user must de superprogramer and hacer to do the devises to work.
** I have a rooted tabletphone (hawei ideos 3G 7'') and it have the same INTERNAL STORAGE problem , unfortunatly ROOT do not help me to expand the internal memory (256MB) !!!
*** Why the companies who making tablets do not hire a 5 years old child to test it for i day only ? but just product and sell.

Last edited by a moderator:

zorbar

May 15, 2012
:)
if i root the tablet is possible to EXPAND the 190MB internal storage using the NAND 4GB SD cart or the EXTERNAL 32GB SD cart ? **

You'll never be able to expand the internal storage to high numbers. Now that you've your tablet rooted, you can raise that number a little doing:

a) uninstall some system applications that you don't need with root uninstaller apk (I've uninstalled aldiko, es explorer, that i don't use). NOTE: Don't uninstall any apk that you are not sure, as some are required for the system to work.

b) go to settings - manage aplications - (click menu button) - choose sort by size and see what applications are bigger in size, and see if they have the option to move to sd card. If so, do it. (it will free some memory).

But you'll never have many memory in internal storage.

Regards

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
" go to settings - manage applications - (click menu button) - choose sort by size and see what applications are bigger in size, and see if they have the option to move to sd card. If so, do it. (it will free some memory)."

..... basically that is what I do using my stock Android 2.3.3 setup. As per an earlier post, I move each application as soon as it's been downloaded. I also periodically go through all my applications and VERIFY that they I have "Moved to SD" or that they cannot be moved.

I counted about 73 items in "manage applications", the latest being "DroidTV Prime" which I'm just testing now on the Gateway G60
(Acer A500 repackaged), my Acer A700 and my Coby MID-1125. Since it's SD I'm hoping to use the COBY to record the TV shows my wife (and I) enjoy for viewing later on.

While the memory was never done correctly the Coby MID 1125 still runs most things fairly well. But keep in mind, it's an older tablet (mine is about 1.5 years old), single core and unless you upgrade to Jelly Bean, an older OS. Still, I use my Coby 1125 everyday - it's great for certain tasks.

So between saving me long distance (Skype and Dell Voice), and being able to cut my cable TV subscription ($40/month) and land line ($35/month) to name a few, the tablets keep saving me a bundle!

(Update 10-9-12)
Note1:
* I'm just now testing it on the Coby, way to early to tell if it will work well. Some do such as "Crunchyroll" (love Japanese Anime), "MX Player Pro" and "Crackle", others do not like "Netflix" (so far). The application does run, the TV Guide did load, but I have to test the TV - playback performace, sound and what memory it D/L's too. Hopefully it all works out - could be another great application.

Basically "DroidTV Prime" is similar to Hulu (TV Shows) with the following advantages/disadvantages:

- Loads programs into memory or SD (TIF), rather then streaming like Hulu (think of the Coby as a kind of Digital-Video-Recorder (DVR)). Thus, you can view them later on, or when away from the WiFi. Since the Coby uses older 802.11g technology it will slow down the newer 2.3 and 5 Ghz "n" devices - so either run a second router or use it when your not streaming/downloading to other faster devices. I suggest you download overnight or when you're at work (just leave the tablet on).
* Don't toss your old WiFi routers away - use them for dedicated use for older and slower devices. There are tricks to maximizing the (802.11)"n"s - nothing worse hen a s-l-o-w dual-band router bogged down by a/b/g devices.

- It loads over time - it is NOT instant (streaming). Basically you choose specific episodes AND/OR have it AUTOMATICALLY download each new show of a series as it becomes available. You can view shows scheduled to download under "Coming Soon" or view ones already downloaded into memory under "Playing".

- No geographical restrictions. Thus you do not have to use a VPN outside the US (when say traveling or if living outside the US). VPN's, btw, don't work well on the Coby 2.3.3. stock MID 1125.

- The subscription rate (unlimited shows) is $3 / month (you pay in 3-month blocks). That is very economical. So I'm cutting my basic, analogue cable is about $40 Cdn/ month - now I can axe it get all my (wife's) shows for $3/month. The application does cost $9 to purchase (one time fee), in addition to the $3/month subscription.

- You can use a (micro)HDMI to 3-RCA cable or other combos. So you can output from the tablet to (say) an older CRT TV or VCR. Newer device will tend to use HDMI jacks, say, a projector or monitor. You can find these in various places - Ebay.com has some cheap ones.

- There are some short commercials, nothing too bad.

- Controls are basic - a slider, pause/play, reverse and fast-forward.

- It is 480p, SD quality. It may not be suitable for outputting to a 1080p large format monitor, projector or TV. It also does not support Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby surround sound. Still fine for many. On the positive side takes up less memory and face it, most phones can't handle HD anyways. Then again the modest requirements make it a great application to run off my Coby MID-1125 tablet.

- Selection is good, not as extensive as (US)Netflix or Hulu. Still pretty good. Right now I got the following loading in: Kitchen Nightmares, The Mentalist, South Park, The Amazing Race, America's Got Talent, American Idol, Bachelor, Dancing with the Stars, The Event, Fringe, Grimm, Saturday Night Live, Supernatural, The Voice, and the X Factor.

- "Move to SD" doesn't work and it takes up about 2.3 MB memory.

- Although I downloaded it on Google Play for my G60/A700, I was still able to get it via the older Market for my MID-1125.

- Hulu is owned by a bunch of companies such as Disney. They (the various parent companies) are complaining about the loss of revenues and thus it is said that in the future you'll have to provide proof of CABLE SERVICE to get Hulu )Hulu been far more successful then they anticipated and its hitting the bottom line). Many people like myself do not want cable - just stream some content via services like Netflix at a reasonable cost. Thus, "DroidTV Prime" and others should provide a very valuable service should Hulu change it requirements.

Update 10-10-12 --> I downloaded the latest "The Amazing Race" episode to the COBY MID-1125 tablet overnight. Playback (480p SD) is fine, no freezes or odd behavior. Sound is also fine. So it appears that Coby and "DroidTV Prime" could have the making to both save me a-lot of money and make watching TV more enjoyable. I'll post later on once I run more tests, still too early, but looks promising.

Update 10-16-12 --> The program/service works quite well. In the FAQ it described the service as a DRV service - that is, like a VCR/DVR you "record" programs for later viewing (for legalities according to the FAQ). I added 3-months to my account ($9), although I had a free trial subscription to the end of this month. No issues on the COBY - just keep the microSD free enough (yes, records to the microSD) and delete older files. Playback is fine. and you can use adapters to get the HDMI out to your TV, monitor, projector or other device. So my COBY is now a handy DVR which lets me cut my expensive cable. It also operates fine on the Gatewa G60 (Acer A500) and my A700.

Note2:

Another FREE application I'm just starting to test on the is "DELL Voice", Basically for us Canadians - free phone number ($20 - 25 to transfer your old number), free basic services like an answering machine, free long distance to about 90% of Canada!!!, free CallerID an so forth. Handy. Calls between "Dell Voice" customers is always free - just like with Skype.

I'll test the mic/speaker tomorrow, too bad, can't Bluetooth that. I'll run it mostly to their Fongo service ($ 4.00/month) which basically is an OPTIONAL Voice-Over_IP device to I can use my good ole "land line" phone number in Asia as well as in North America.

"DELL Voice" does not (Grr!!) move to SD, and takes up about 4.5 MB, ouch. I dd try Skype first but as they do not support "911" (emergency) here in Canada, and thus, I can't get a Canadian phone number. Too bad as Skype is a very good service.

In the US Skype (or other services) may work better. I've had Skype and Yahoo IM Video both working on the MID-1125 tablet in the past (I don't use 'em so I've removed 'em since).

Update 10-16-12 --> I removed it it for now as I can't "Move to SD" this application and it's taking up about 9 MB memory. Operational, seems to work fine but I really need to run further tests. I have a VoiceoverIP stand-alone so I'm focusing on this and operation on my other two tablets right now. I'm running about 38MB free right now, even with all my programs.

Update 10-17-12 --> Got my "Dell Voice/Fongo" hardware adapter working (voice over IP) and my phone number moved to it.
--> For Canadians, note, Bell was charging about $35 plus taxes per month. They counter-offered me a no contract, $24/month, 2-months free deal to stay with them. I'm paying $ 4.99/month for Fongo (mostly for 911 and the adapter), Dell voice itself is FREE with call-ID, call-forwarding, Call-waiting and an answering machine built-in. As I take my phone number with me via the adapter I can use it wherever I go and I have internet connectivity via an Ethernet cable - say Japan, Florida or the Philippines. Sweet. On the tablets still sorting out some issues with the Bluetooth (had the same issues on earlier versions of Skype a year or two ago - "teething" pains).

It's sad that "legacy" companies like Rogers and Bell only give the "best rates" to those already leaving, rather than, valued multi-decade accounts (we paid several months in advance). I've also used a company called "TekSavvy" for internet for about 5-years now, I highly recommend it (UNLIMITED cable internet starting at about $24/month). "Unlimited" is the key as the big-boys slap on ridiculous bandwidth caps to try to prevent streaming from companies such as Netflix (they charge 8/month unlimited (as many movies as you want) whereas Rogers I THINK charges $ 8.99 per HD pay movie in addition to the cable! I'll be cutting Rogers cable TV shortly as the Droid TV Plus reviewed above is working great on the COBY MID-1125 as well as my Gatway G60 (A500) and A700 tablets and PC - just working on getting some NBL items and the odd live TV station via streaming.

btw. I do **NOT** work for any of these companies, just giving tips to everyone. Buyer beware, please conduct your own tests and research as I will not be held accountable (disclaimer).

I'll update everyone on how they perform.

EW

NOTE: - If you find my reviews helpful please "thank-me" as that way I will know they were useful. I'm not sure how many read this, and, how many (if anyone) actually finds this information useful. Just trying to get an idea whether or not to write more. Thanks.

Last edited:

alkmie

Oct 19, 2012
3. Then I added "Auto-Rotate Switch" application. One item I've missed on my COBY MID-1125-4G that I use a-lot on my Gateway A60 (A500) is the screen rotation lock. So now from my stays bar I can "freeze" the rotation - great for reading (say) Manga while still in bed! So now I can pull down the status menu and "lock" the screen in either landscape or portrait mode.

Our you sure you are able to freeze rotate in portrait mode... I can only get my to freeze in landscape mode which is the default if you check no rotate option you get in settings, but I am unable to stop rotation and still be in portrait mode no matter what app ive tried

Dolphine mini is able to lock in portait mode so it is possible however it only seems to work when dolphine is in focas

If you can could you please share the full name of app along with author... I know on iphone you could use sbsettings to change a button to another fuction... I would trade my volume keys for rotate gladly if this is possible

also do you have google play or andriod market? I was able to get market installed with no rooting but when I tried del market and installing google play it installed just fine and launch then updated then crashed... Reverted back to market and it works fine

also I would love to get Cifs working (this allows you to mount windows shares as if they wore on your device ie no more copying files) but it seems the modules are device specfic

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/17228-cifs-manager-samba-mount-missing-cifsko/page__st__60

these guys are making one for a device that uses the same processor as the 1125

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1069026

heres the modules for the 7015

I suppose if the files exist for the 1125 they are here http://kyros-tablet-zone.team-talk.net

but everytime I try and look at a theard its said

Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

*Edit 10/20 I now have google play working so my only issues are a way to freeze rotation in portrait (not a huge deal at least a couple of my apps have this built in) and getting cifs to work (which is a hugh deal to me as I use the device mainly at home and I wouldn't have to copy files anymore)

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Update 11-23-12

".. Our you sure you are able to freeze rotate in portrait mode... I can only get my to freeze in landscape mode which is the default if you check no rotate option you get in settings, but I am unable to stop rotation and still be in portrait mode no matter what app ive tried .."

The first rotate I talked about (page 1?) worked fine for me - I used it when reading (Kindle). I've since removed it as I am mostly using the COBY as a DVR using "Droid TV". If I can locate it, I'll add it ad test it again. I did test it with the security program, and yes, like you it would not lock in the portrait mode.

Notes:

a. I'll format a SanDisk 64GB SDXC, class 10 card as FAT32 and try it in the Coby. They work fine in my Acer A700 and Gateway A60 (Acer A500) tablets -- I have about 58 GB space on the microSD/TIF card using NTFS. I'll post here if it works or not. The card, sold BY and at amazon.ca, is about $46.00. That's a very good value. Avoid ebay.com for 64GB cards as many are fakes. This card is sold BY amazon.ca, not a 3rd party through amazon.ca .

b. Due to time, I was not specific enough on the HDMI to 3-RCA conversion for "DroidTV". There is a conversation stage which occurs mid-point. Basically HDMI is digital and RCA is analogue. It's much like using the newer HD TV's with older CRT TV's, you have a converter mid-point. There are a few ways to do this. I go miniHDMI to converter using a miniHDMI to HDMI cable then converter to VCR using an 3-RCA to 3-RCA cable.

EW

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Update 11-26-12

a. I have installed a SanDisk 64GB, Class 10 U-1 card. The COBY will not read NTFS, exFAT formats (expected) but it works fine with FAT32. FAT32 has some limitations, for example, INDIVIDUAL file sizes need to be under 4 GB +/- each. Since the COBY isn't well suited for 1080P or 720p HD output it shouldn't matter too much for most (MX Player Pro will output HD, but the A-15 single core processor will be maxed), you can use a conversion program to reduce/alter it as required. I still require more time for testing, but my tablet is now showing 37.7 GB of 59.46GB available. Sweet.

They cost about $ 42 - $ 46, Canadian. I suggest the ones sold by Amazon.ca (the actual seller is Amazon.ca!!). Avoid eBay for cards as many are fakes, some, costing twice as much and not working.

** Note: I used "EaseUS Partition Master 9.1.1" on my Windows 7 PC to create the primary partition and format it. Windows tends to otherwise limit FAT32 to 32GB. If you use an adapter make sure it says SDXC on it, not just icroSD or SD or else it may not be able to go past 32GB. They cost about $ 4 new including shipping.

**Note: New 128 GB microSD cards are being released soon. As FAT32 does support up to 2 TB, my guess is they WILL work just fine in the COBY. So down the road, once prices drop, who knows?, might get more life out of the tablet. Aside from Windows RT tablets coming out (which do not have many apps) and Windows 8 (which are very expensive machines due to hardware requirements), new Tegra chips are coming out in 2013. The first (Wayne) will be an A15 core (22 nm) rather then the A9 cores used in the COBY, and Tegra 2/3 (44 nm). While the "Tegra4" will be about 10 times faster then a Tegra2 a MUCH faster Tegra being released near the end of 2013 will be 50 times faster then the Tegra2 and about 10 times the speed of a Tegra3. So, IMO, might as well get your $$$ out of the Coby and buy some time as some very nice Android tablets will be released in 2014.

It's also handy traveling. I tend to load up some videos/music on microSD or SD cards then using the USB, watch. I use the SDXC adapter for this. I'll have to test this on the COBY, but having 64gb to 128 GB/card is a huge plus (I used this method in the past on the COBY). The adapter I use has a slot for SDXC microSD and one for SDXC SD cards. The cards are large enough for a bunch of movies, they do not require much space, cables or power like a hard drives an they tend to always work unlike USB which seem "hit and miss" (as to which ones work).

b. alkmie: --> I found one (screen rotation lock) which works in portrait mode --- after testing a half dozen. It's called "Adaptive Rotation Lock", version 1.3, by MICGOOWARE. It only takes 268 MB memory. Make sure to choose "REVERSE Portrait Mode" to lock it into portrait mode (launcher and applications are locked into portrait). Useful for reading ebooks like Kindle. You can select what you need via a desktop icon OR from the pull-down status bar.
* btw, Android 4.2 or later may get back to using (DUAL) pull-down status bars. I always found this feature of Gingerbread, handy.

c. I'm playing a few C&C (Red Alert) type games (RTS or Real Time Strategy). So far, "Desert Stormfront" is working great as is "Robotic Planet RTS". I'll update as I test more. "Desert Stormfornt" is actually easier to play on my COBY then the Acer A700 - the HD screen reduces the size too much. While I do love the HD screen on my Acer A700, the Coby low-res screen, is actually pretty good (nice colors) for most things.

d. "Battery & Memory Status Pro" is very handy. Basically a collection of widgets (dials) you cn place in your launcher. I really enjoy it as I have one dial for SD Memory (My 64 GB Sandisk microSD), one for Internal memory and one for the battery. Worth a check!

Found this useful, want more? Please hit "Thanks" so I know this information is being used.

EW

Last edited:

alkmie

Oct 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply... I'll look up the app however after switching to jelly bean the gyroscope or whatever seems to work alot better now

when you test your 128gb card plz post results... ill be interested in this

also on a side not im on jelly bean and for whatever reason the wifi always seems to turn itself off
I just tried turning off screen lock as I assume when it locks it turns of wifi to save battery
anyways I have it hooked up to ac and it still turns off wifi which is annoying

I'll post back if disable screen lock fix this else ill be looking for some other solution

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Update: 12/6/12

Note:

For converting from a HDMI to RCA-3 this device works great:

Sanoxy HDMI to Composite/S-Video Converter 3RCA CRT TV CVBS: Amazon.ca: Electronics

If you have a HDMI to HDMI cable you'll need to get a mini-HDMI adapter:

HDMI Female to Mini HDMI Male F M Converter Adaptor Connector | eBay

.. and if you do not already own a cable just get a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable (no adapter required this way) such as this one:

High Speed 0 5M 90 Angle HDMI to Mini HDMI Cable V1 4 3D for Camcorders Tablet | eBay

EW

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
* Editing please check back later

Updated: 12/12/12 - First post
Updated: 1/18/13 - Add new TV applications, updates current list

* Note my experiences with some applications off of the Google Market. As always use at own risk. Also, while most programs are legit I really do not know if some stream content illegally (I just got them off the Google Market so I would hope so!). So user/buyer beware, again, use at own risk as you assume all responsibility.

Note: I removed 'Crackle' from the COBY. Although pretty good on my other tablets I couldn't find a past version which worded well on the COBY MID 1125-4G.

Note: On the newest COBY announced at spring CES 2013. Looks like COBY has (finally) learned from past experiences - here are some of the new features:

- OTA (Over-the-air) updates. So FINALLY once you buy a COBY it will automatically get upgraded to newer version of the O/S.
- GOOGLE CERTIFIED - So Google Mobile to Google Play are all included.
- Bluetooth Enabled
- Dual Core Processor and Quad-core units, which as new 8-cores are comng out and 64-bit, 8-cores by the end of 2013, pretty much entry level. Sorry single cores don't cut it anymore
- Wireless 'n' @ 2.4 GHz, which is pretty much basic these days with MIMO and 5 GHz becoming more standard.
- ICE . Jelly Bean, all up-gradable OTA
- 1 GB internal memory
- 8GB to 16GB memory
- microSD slot
- gyroscope and the accelerator sensor
- may not have a GPS or second camera (which some won't care about)
* The MID1077-8 will be the new COBY top of the line, 10" tablet, with 8 GB memory and a quad-core 1.2 GHz processor.

.. so while the current MID-1124-4G heads towards the end of it's lifespan it appears that COBY has some great new tables coming out. So might be worth a look into if you have gotten your monies worth out of it.

It should be noted many new items are coming out in the tablet world - the Snapdragon 800 vs Tegra-4 with 72-GPUs vs Octa-Core (Samsung) vs Intel Atom (Clover Trail) wars are just heating up!, the road map to 450 DPI screens (top is now about 300 DPI on the Google Nexus 10), the 64-bit, 8-core Tegra due at the end of 2013, Key Lime Pie (Android 5.0), more then 4GB DRAM - and many more. So this will over 2013 and 2014 really push up the entry point of the market. IMO, aside from 'while box' tablets, single core units are pretty much gone as will be the Gingerbread O/S over the next 2-years (right now about 50% installed base, with Jelly Bean over 10%).

My Rating: 4 / 5
a. "Crunchyroll" is a site which focuses on Japanese anime and drama. It's primarily a paid site though if you do not mind some advertising before and after the main credits, SD quality and not being able to see the very latest episode, the "free" version works fine. With older anime series, all episodes can be watched for free. "Crunchyroll" can also be found on other devices, such as the PS3 and PC though the PS3 version doesn't seem to have the freebies.

The application is well written - sound and picture quality even over the "g" (slower WiFi) network and to the COBY's now outdated processor is crisp and without dropouts. Selection is EXCELLENT. Subtitles also work fine on the series I watch - "Total Eclipse" and "Saint Saiya - Omega" - works great every time. There are some commercials (more recently) usually after he intro title, the middle and near the end. This a one slight annoyance - when started the program likes to rotate to the vertical mode but then needs to go landscape to run. In earlier versions the application crashed if a screen rotation lock was used - this has since been resolved.

Once started the application (in vertical mode) prompts from a section of: Anime, Drama, Setting, Help and Log-In. The latter is for a paid membership which allows for HD, no commercials, queues, and the latest episodes with no delay. For anime lovers, worth it IMO. Also, you can then run it via the PS3. The 'menu' button does nothing and there are no options to adjust the output resolution.

Basically with the Anima and Drama menus you are greeted with a list of programs. The leftmost side is a medium sized icon/tile with the title cover of the anime or drama series, the title and the number in the series. Somewhat hidden (poor color choice and small font) - beside 'crunchyroll' at the top left - is a pull down list. The default is POPULAR, you can also choose from SIMULCASTS, UPDATED, ALPHABETICAL, GENRES and SEASONS. There does not appear to be a search function nor does the menu button do anything. You can queue movies/shows with a membership.

It does use 8.82 MB of internal memory (8.78 MB application and 36 KB data) and cannot be moved to the SD card. While I do output to the tablet, my old CRT SONY Trinitron via a HDMI-RCA converter the quality is good enough to output to my Epson EX 5200 projector (I run it at 130" but it can go to 300" screen size).

Streamed: Yes
Playback Quality / Selection - High / High
Application: Yes
Market: Yes
Internal Memory Used: 8.82 MB (Moved to SD first, includes data and thus may vary tablet to tablet)
Can Move to SD: No

My Rating: 5 / 5
b. "DroidTV" works slightly different. Rather then "stream" the broadcast the tablet acts like a "Digitial Video Recorder"(DVR). This according to the developer keeps the content legal. So while the tablet is "on" AND connected to a WiFi it downloads new shows. The great part is that you can watch the shows on the road or other places even when you cannot connect to a WiFi. My shows are "recorded" to my 64GB SDXC microSD card so space is not an issue. Selection is EXCELLENT - all major new series are there and some older ones too.

I have no noticed any dropouts either in video or audio - quality is SD and excellent. On a larger microSD/TIF card, I have NOT found space to be an issue - I have about 30 Dr. Who episodes to still watch, or example. You can set it to automatically record new shows as they come out and/or individual episodes as they play. This site is SUBSCRIPTION based PER TABLET, about $ 3/ month paid 3-months at a time.

When opening the application the first duty performed is an update of the 'TV Guide'. You can choose to record new shows as they are broadcast and/or older shows still stored (great if you missed past episodes). It's not as complete as (say) Netflix but you can sometimes 'go back' a good 20+ shows. You can also delete off your tablet and/or server recorded shows as well as stop receiving new shows.

The menu button brings up along the bottom the follow options: Now Playing, TV Guide, Coming Soon, Preferences and More. Now playing are shows already recorded to your tablet. TV Guide allows you to choose from a HUGE list of hit shows. Coming soon are shows which you have selected but which have not aired yet, and thus, could not be recorded. Preferences pulls up a good sized list of options worth exploring if you get this application (I use "Show Download Progress' allot. More brings up an equally large list such as 'Select Favorite Shows' and 'Subscription' (great so you know when to renew - paid subscription by: VISA, MC, AMEX, DISCOVER and Paypal).

When you select a show which has been recorded to your tablet (again, under Now Playing) you get the following options: Play this episode, Stop recording new episodes for show, Remove episode from phone, Permanently delete episode. As mention before, playback is VERY smooth with no sound or video dropouts. Touch the screen and up pops basic controls to pause/play, rewind/ff, increase/decrease volume and a playback slider with time you're at (left side) and total playback time (right side).

The application works very well and uses only 3.62 MB of internal memory (1.5MB data and 2.12 data - without the data quite small actually); it cannot be moved to the SD card.

Streamed: No - Each episode is downloaded for later viewing
Internal Memory Used: 3.62 MB (Moved to SD first, includes data and thus may vary tablet to tablet)

My Rating: 2.5 / 5
c. "JustinTV" or "JTV" is an application. While not as polished or with a very large selection I have found some "gems" in the lineup. Notably for me, two Filipino Tagalog channels AND various 7*24 programs I enjoy very much such as "South Park", "Stargate" and "Seinfeld". While the application costs a small amount the programming is free. It seems to be mostly "streamed" channels - some "home-brew".

The home page starts off with English or Spanish. Next you have the following options: Entertainment, News, Sports, Social and 'Get Adobe Flash Video Free!'. Select the category you want - in this example I'll choose 'Entertainment', then 'All Entertainment', then 'All Entertainment Front page'. I then get a vertical list of streaming channels I can watch. So in this example, I'll scroll down to 'Futurama', press (select) and the stream starts up. I find it's a bit choppy at first - until it gets going then it's fine! If I touch the screen there is a pause/play icon at the bottom-left, a volume slider beside this and a full-screen option at the bottom-right.The top right indicates as I am watching this about 700 other people are too. 'Menu' simply lets you 'close' the stream, as will the backspace.

The application requires a mere 1.03 MB (0.91 application and 120 KB data); it cannot be moved to SD. While it does require "Flash", it plays from it's own application.

Playback Quality / Selection - Moderate / Low to Moderate
Internal Memory Used: 1.03 MB (Moved to SD first, includes data and thus may vary tablet to tablet)

My Rating: 5 / 5
d. "Viki" is a application which focuses on Korean and Japanese movies, music videos, TV series and anime. A few are from the Philippines as well, in Tagalog, with sub-titles. The 'home' page is quite well done - large tiles (3-across) with a picture for easy selection. Within each tile the nation of origin (ie: Korea, Japan, Philippines..) and if there are (and what percentage) of English (or other selected language) sub-tiles The title bar allows for features, TV shows, music, news, movies and a SEARCH function. The "menu" pulls up quite a few options such as sub-titles (on/off), sub-title languages (MANY to choose from), auto-play, and resolution (150p, 240p, 360p, 480p 720p). The latter is handy as by cutting down resolution you can make the most of limited bandwidth or performance issues. I was running 360p, outputting via the HDMI to a HDMI-to-RCA converter and outputted to my old SONY Trinitron CRT TV with no issues or dropouts. The picture was very crisp and clear for a CRT.

The application will move to SD - still it uses up 3.78 MB memory (3.73 MB application and 148 KB data).

Playback Quality / Selection - Moderate / High
Internal Memory Used: 3.78 MB (Moved to SD first, includes data and thus may vary tablet to tablet)
Can Move to SD: Yes

My Rating: 4.5 / 5
e. "TV Portal" is quite amazing in terms of selection!; not as amazing in terms of the application which is solid but sparse There is a small fee (I can't remember, maybe about 99 cents) for the 'ad free' version. Aside from the prompts for facebook and a few others for Video players it's quite straight forward. The 'home' page has 5 large icons; Browse, Favorites, Info, Share and Favorites. The 'Menu' also brings up the Browse, Favorites and Exit options. You cannot control resolution, sub-titles or anything else. 'Browse' brings up a seemly endless list of TV Shows OR Movies (you choose from the two categories at the top).

Once you select you'll end a selection for season (with TV shows anyways), then the episode, and finally the provider (many sites are often listed - even YouTube). I rated it as 4.5/5 as there is an amazing selection - heck I was watching ancient TV Shows like "The Six Million Dollar Man" as well as the current crop of TV Shows and countless movies. Fortunately there is a SEARCH function which does work quite well and you can save your favorites TV Shows and Movies to a Favorites area. Quality various according to the providoer and for some reason my paid-for MX Player does NOT work properly in SW, HW or HW+ setting. However, playback with ES Media Player was smooth and without dropouts on the shows I watched.

The application takes 2.27 MB (2.08 MB application and 192 KB data) and CANNOT be moved to the SD card.

Internal Memory Used: 2.27 MB (Moved to SD first, includes data and thus may vary tablet to tablet)

My Rating: 4 / 5
f. "SCartoon" is along the format of a favorite manga (basically a Japanese comic book) reader of mine (eComic), also, installed on my tablet. The menu format are the same, thus, there is a 'familiarity' in using this application. Now, like 'Crunchyroll', review earlier, this is made for Japanese Anime lovers. From the various sources you will be ablt to watch many older and current anime series episodes as well as full length anime movies.

When you start you're greeted with 'Browse Library', 'Favorites', and 'Settings' of which the latter does very little. 'Browse Library' goes to a sub-menu which lists at the time of writing about 6 Anime sources.Pick one, select 'Browse' or 'Most Popular' and you'll then head into the Anime list of your choice. Select the anime series you want (you can long-tap on a series to access the option to move it into the favorites menu), the episode (some have mirror sites), the media player (I use 'ES Media Player' as my 'MX Player Pro' seems to not be working with streams at this time) and enjoy the anime! Playback on my Coby is smooth and with no audio or visual (frame) dropouts. There are few options so you will not be able to adjust playback resolution.

The application takes 1.60 MB (1.57 MB application and 36 KB data) and CANNOT be moved to the SD card. However, with that small size it's not much of an issue.

Internal Memory Used: 1.60 MB (Moved to SD first, includes data and thus may vary tablet to tablet)

My Rating: 1 / 5
g. "USTV" is promising but it's obviously in the early stages. When the application starts you're greeted with a screen with "USTV Android Edition" writen on the top left and not much else. The 'menu' key does nothing. Just touch anywhere on that screen and 3 icons will appear. The smaller to the top-left is for series/episode selection, the top-right is for your saved 'Favorites' and the large player-like menu in the bottom-center allows one to control the volume, full-screen size option, play and so on. Very confusing for new users - at first!

Click the icon at the top-left and along the right half of the screen you are greeted with a vertical list of channels containing shows, news shows, music channels, movies, government channels and so forth.

I removed this application for now as mosy of the links came back as 'closed'.

The application (named com.mdc.ustv) takes 1.84 MB (1.80 MB application and 40 KB data) after being moved to the SD card.

Playback Quality / Selection - ? / Low
Internal Memory Used: 1.84 MB (Moved to SD first, includes data and thus may vary tablet to tablet)
Can Move to SD: Yes

My Rating: 4.5 / 5
** In the works
h. "VideoMixPro" is one of my favorites.

is along the format of a favorite manga (basically a Japanese comic book) reader of mine (eComic), also, installed on my tablet. The menu format are the same, thus, there is a 'familiarity' in using this application. Now, like 'Crunchyroll', review earlier, this is made for Japanese Anime lovers. From the various sources you will be able to watch many older and current anime series episodes as well as full length anime movies.

When you start you're greeted with 'Browse Library', 'Favorites', and 'Settings' of which the latter does very little. 'Browse Library' goes to a sub-menu which lists at the time of writing about 6 Anime sources. Pick one, select 'Browse' or 'Most Popular' and you'll then head into the Anime list of your choice. Select the anime series you want (you can long-tap on a series to access the option to move it into the favorites menu), the episode (some have mirror sites), the media player (I use 'ES Media Player' as my 'MX Player Pro' seems to not be working with streams at this time) and enjoy the anime! Playback on my Coby is smooth and with no audio or visual (frame) dropouts. There are few options so you will not be able to adjust playback resolution.

The application takes 1.66 MB (1.60 MB application and 60 KB data) and CANNOT be moved to the SD card. However, with that small size it's not much of an issue.

Playback Quality / Selection - High / Amazing!
Internal Memory Used: 1.66 MB (Moved to SD first, includes data and thus may vary tablet to tablet)

Three useful applications:

a. 'Video Catcher Pro' which allows you to record shows to the tablet. Essentially the application is like a mini-browser and lets you record video streams. Works quite well. Keep in mind, The opening page is essentially the same as any BASIC browser except that you can SAVE video streams. Very handy if you want to watch something while not being around a WiFi zone such as in a car, commute, jet, bus, and so forth. Also very handy if you have a slow net or poor WiFi connection else you end up with a-lot of buffering errors/delays). So from a WiFi area such as home or McDonalds download, capture and save, and watch later.

Along the top left is an option to toggle between desktop mode and mobile mode (browser). On the top right are icons for: history, saved downloads and quite (and abort any currently downloading files).

The menu button brings up two options: Desktop Mode (for the browser) and Preferences. With Preferences, there are three options: General, Browser (for adjusting the browser) and About. Under 'General' I suggest you modify the oath to a folder in the microSD card (if you have one). I have a 64MB, Class 10, SanDisk formatted to FAT32 - and it works great! My download folder is "/mnt/sdcard/tflash/Video". The 'tflash' with a COBY MID 1125-4G *IS* your microSD card. So in short, I am saving to a folder named 'Video' on my microSD (tflash) card.

The application requires 3.24 MB of space, of which 3.15 MB is for the application and 88 KB for data. The application CANNOT be moved to the SD card.

b. 'Stick It' is a handy media player which works as windows which can be enlarged/reduced to any size and moved about the screen (over your other work). Handy for (say) watching a video or video stream while working on other items (say) in a browser or editor. Basically when I launch one of the above TV applications, I choose -Stick It' rather the 'ES Media Player' or 'MX Player Pro'. A small screen pops up. If I touch the middle of it I can pause/resume playback. If I touch the drag the lower-right corner I can re-size the window. At the top right are icons to minimize, maximize or close. A scroll bar at the upper middle lets you select any part of the video and displays where you are and the total time of the video. Basic stuff. A plug in for ARMv&+NEON may have to be loaded first (automatically from Google Market).

While not as full featured and somewhat slower then full featured players it does serve an important niche. It works best with files already on your tablet (you can use 'Video Catcher Pro' for this) - for streaming start then pause and let the tablet download the file into memory first else the playback will be choppy and very poor. At this time I do not recommend it for video streaming - just viewing files already downloaded.

The application requires a mere 504 KB of which 384 KB is for the application and 120 KB for the data. It CANNOT be moved to the SD card, but at just 504 KB, who cares?

c. 'Default Application Manager' is a handy utility for changing application defaults. While it can all be done via the Settings/applications/Defaults settings, it is just plain easier to see all the default links of all applicaiotns all at once. Should you choose to change one you will automatically be taken to the appropriate area of the 'Settings'.

EW

Last edited:

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Not quite done yet but I updated the TV list in the above article. Likely my last post for the COBY.

EW

luki69

Mar 31, 2013
So, lets make your daughter more happy. It's easy to move apps to SD and free your Coby 1125 memory.
First if you didn't done it yet, i really advice you to root your device. How to do it?
- How to root:
First extract all files to your External SD card.

Install in order by numbers.

1. install recovery.apk and start
2. choose update.zip......coby will shutdown, install and reboot
3. start recovery again, choose superuser.zip......coby will shutdown, install and reboot
4. install license and rom manager (german).......start rom manager. Choose "Clockworkmod Recovery installieren" , choose mid1125, yes, CWM3.X
5. install busybox.apk

your device is rooted ;-)

- files you need to root are here: Zippyshare.com - Coby mid1125 root & market.rar

then you should install google apps. to do so, check this link: Install Google Play on Coby’s Jelly Bean Tablets | hoTodi.tv

Everything is working on my MID1125 with latest update from Coby 4.1.1

Anything i can help, just say.

Do you think I can use that files to root MID8128? I've been looking for any way to root MID8128 for two day and found nothing :(