Coby MID 8048 No WiFi

Maestro1

Aug 9, 2013
Hello, I have been looking around this forum for assistance with my mid 8048.
Thanks to everyone for your help. I was able to get my tablet working
after I did factory reset, wiped data and cache and installed stock_8048_root_gapps_signed.zip
The problem like others have found, there is no WI FI. Both Mac Address and IP address are "unavailable"

Has anyone found a fix for this? Please Post it, I will be much grateful.
Thanks.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Maestro, congratulations on your Coby MID8048 and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets. I'm moving your thread to the Coby Generation 3 forum for you, where more people with that tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

mxWanderer

Apr 12, 2013
it happen 2me but i try it again and everything when well.. reason? idk but i also did not find any info about this..

Shenmue191078

Aug 2, 2013
I think the solution would be editing some file in the system folder, probably the rom comes with configurations that do not correspond to our wifi, I wonder who could file edited in solving that problem

delbarto

Aug 30, 2012
I had this problem with my wife's 9042 and after scouring the Internet I found the solution was to switch our router to a higher channel, channel 2 worked perfectly for me, and was pretty simple to do.
Seems to be a common glitch with the Coby's
I hope this helps

Maestro1

Aug 9, 2013
Thanks for all your input, I have tried everything and still won't work. I want to think that the wi-fi drivers are messed up after the rooting
I May need to reload a new rom, unfortunately I do not have a backup. I will keep at it, if I get it fixed I will let you all know the solution.
Thanks

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for all your input, I have tried everything and still won't work. I want to think that the wi-fi drivers are messed up after the rooting
I May need to reload a new rom, unfortunately I do not have a backup. I will keep at it, if I get it fixed I will let you all know the solution.
Thanks

Rooting the tablet has nothing to due with the wifi, but you are free to think what you want.

basically what you are saying is putting air in your car's tire caused the engine to blow up.

Shenmue191078

Aug 2, 2013
vampirefo i have the same problem, these options are unavailable:

* network notify
* mac address
* ip address

What file could edited in the nand to fix wifi, we are many people who have the same problem. Please help us! You're one of the best in this forum.

I tried installing WIfi finder.apk but neither is any network, I run out of ideas

Last edited:

Maestro1

Aug 9, 2013
Thanks for the input Vamp, we nubies really don't know what we are doing and have no idea what the problem with the wi-fi is,
so any input you can provide to fix this wi-fi issue will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the input Vamp, we nubies really don't know what we are doing and have no idea what the problem with the wi-fi is,
so any input you can provide to fix this wi-fi issue will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

What modifications have you done to your tablet?

when you say no wifi, exactly what do you mean? you press the wifi tab and what happens?

while trying to turn on wifi, do a logcat,

also right after bootup

adb shell

su

dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt

upload dmesg.txt
and logcat

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Working wifi is based on four components.

1.Kernel
2.bootloader
3.software
4.hardware

all four have to be designed for each other, you can't mix and match.

first step is logcat and dsmeg

look at libhardware_legacy.so this is the lib responsible for turning wifi on and off, is it correct for your setup?

manually start the wifi module based on libhardware_legacy.so, does the module load? if not then your kernel and software don't match you need to change one of them.

if the wifi module loads kernel and module are a match.

a lot of work is included in getting wifi working.

if the above 3 are all correct for the device then number 4 the hardware could have just went out, no way to fix that, but generally that is the lowest possible reason.

usually people modify the tablet in such a way the software, bootloader and kernel don't match.

that's why a good backup of these components should be made before modifying tablets.

with telechips tablets wifi can be lost by modifying vold.fstab as well, this file should not be modified, nor should build.prop be modified unless one knows exactly 100% what they are doing.

Maestro1

Aug 9, 2013
I go to settings- wi fi- turn on wifi and it says "turning wi fi on" and just stays like that
eventually that message goes away and the wi-fi says off.
Under Status, macaddress and ip address are both unavailable.
Thanks