Coby MID1065 Feedback?

JonPeter

Apr 30, 2013
I don't have a 1065, but have the similar 8065. Generally it works very well, dual core, full Android 4.0 with Play Store, good HDMI, WiFi, Bluetooth. However, the micro-USB port is not so nice. I wonder if anyone has been able to get a 1065 to read a USB Flashdrive.

It does connect to a PC, but I have been unable to get it to try to recognize a USB flashdrive, trying 6 different OTG micro-USB-AB to USB cables. Over the weekend I will make an OTG cable, grounding pin 4 to pin 5. If that doesn't work I'll try to determine if there is a bug, with a micro-USB-B port where there should be a bi-firectional micro-USB-AB. Coby support has been no help.

athelite

Apr 23, 2013
Jon, I greatly appreciate your feedback. I expect to purchase a 1065 very soon. Please keep us updated regarding the micro-USB issue.

Thanks again.

JonPeter

Apr 30, 2013
One of the suppliers I occasionally buy from, Adorama.com, sent me a note that a quad core Coby 8077 would be shipping around the end of May. I don't know if this is vaporware or real, but if you haven't purchased a 1065, you might want to wait and determine if there is going to be a 1077, 10.1" quad core tablet.

I am still trying to determine if the 8065 has the correct, bi-directional micro-USB-AB port or if the port is a micro-USB-B, only good for communication with a PC. At this point I have not been able to get the 8065 to access a USB flashdrive and plan to make my own OTG USB cable this weekend. Once I confirm the type of micro-USB port I will post information.

Last edited:

athelite

Apr 23, 2013
I believe you're right. I came across this online catalog with the 1077 listed...

http://valiantnational.com/pdf/2013valnat_entire_catalog.pdf

It states, "1.2GHz Tegra 3 Quad-Core processor."

Adorama.com already has it listed & it's interesting to note that there's only a $30 difference between the 1065 & 1077. Have you shopped at B&Hphotovideo.com? They seem to be less expensive.

athelite

Apr 23, 2013
I shopped the Lenovo a2109, but read complaints about it not having an IPS display. Having IPS & quad-core, I think the 1077 will beat it. ;)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I shopped the Lenovo a2109, but read complaints about it not having an IPS display. Having IPS & quad-core, I think the 1077 will beat it. ;)

Perhaps, we will wait and see, really hard to compare without seeing the Coby version, For myself I would like the 8" version if it's on the same level as Lenovo's tablet. GPS is a must, I wont buy a tablet over $100 that doesn't support GPS, If over $200 tablet must support BT and GPS.

But for right now we just have to wait and See what Coby turns out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

Last edited:

JonPeter

Apr 30, 2013
Adorama.com already has it listed & it's interesting to note that there's only a $30 difference between the 1065 & 1077. Have you shopped at B&Hphotovideo.com? They seem to be less expensive.

I also shop J&R Audio (J&R: Audio, Video, Cameras, Computers, Cellular, Home Office, Housewares, J&R Jr., Games, Music, Movies, Musical Instruments) I bought the Coby 8065 for $140 including shipping when it was on sale. I am going to test the OTG USB cable I built to see if I can get the micro-USB port to read USB flashdrives. (None of the cheap OTG cables I bought work.) If I can get the 8065 to recognize a flashdrive (and perhaps a USB keyboard) it's a keeper.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I also shop J&R Audio (J&R: Audio, Video, Cameras, Computers, Cellular, Home Office, Housewares, J&R Jr., Games, Music, Movies, Musical Instruments) I bought the Coby 8065 for $140 including shipping when it was on sale. I am going to test the OTG USB cable I built to see if I can get the micro-USB port to read USB flashdrives. (None of the cheap OTG cables I bought work.) If I can get the 8065 to recognize a flashdrive (and perhaps a USB keyboard) it's a keeper.

Doesn't the tablet come with a cable? for keyboard or mouse.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
No it does not. The cable I modified by grounding pin 4 to pin 5 on the micro-USB end works. So I confirmed the micro-USB-AB port works. Next step is to verify the brand of cable that actually works and post the information.

Ok, all the tablets I have came with the miniusb adapter for mouse and keyboard, still waiting to see if Coby is going to give me a 7065 or not. I am sure the ones I already have will work.

JonPeter

Apr 30, 2013
Ok, all the tablets I have came with the miniusb adapter for mouse and keyboard, still waiting to see if Coby is going to give me a 7065 or not. I am sure the ones I already have will work.

All the cables I have are open on pin 4 of the micro-USB connector. None worked. I got out my trusty knives, mini soldering station and magnifier. After carefully slicing the elastomer cover on the mini-USB I was able to remove the top and bottom half without damageing the wiring. Soldering in a pin4 to 5 jumper, carved out the inside ofd the two shell parts and used a piece of heat shrink to hold them together.

5 minutes later I had everything working. Even a 4-to-1 USB hub worked fine. I had a USB keyboard and a 64GB USB jumpdrive connected. The first of 3 OTG micro-USB to USB-female cables arrived today. I'll test in tomorrow morning.

Apparently Coby stopped shipping these cables with the xx65 series of tablets. It will be interesting to see what trnaspires in the future.