Coby mid7024

raj

Mar 23, 2011
Sorry about the shaky and bad video guys. I saw the responses on my post and felt that you guys would appreciate a video. Shot and posted through my iPhone -

Last edited by a moderator:

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
This is great... Finally they release the tabs even though its not 2.3 ... We should open a 2nd gen form for these tabs ...
RAJ it wasn't to shaky just to short lol ... Go thru the tab running some games and speed test thanks.. Check the speakers... How do they sound? How is they hdmi/ movie playback on the tab and on the TV? Its a lot i ask of but others want this too lol thanks

sinofian

Apr 4, 2011
Hello all. this is my first post here. I've been reading this board for the past few weeks looking for my first tablet; wanted something inexpensive enough that I wouldn't be afraid to hand it over to my 7-year-old while still offering me a familiar experience (I'm on a Droid X). I decided on the Kyros 7024.

I also received mine over the weekend & since there hasn't been a lot posted about it yet, I thought I'd share my experience so far:

-As raj mentions in his video, Angry Birds Rio crashes every time you try to launch it (though I haven't tried the other versions)
-the accelerometer is 'quirky' at best. I've tried a couple of games that rely on it & both seem to work in reverse.
-I have been unsuccessful in getting either Z4Root or Clockworkmod to work (so far).
-Adobe Flash player is NOT pre-loaded.

Otherwise, it seems to run very well. The screen is responsive to both the fingers and stylus. I haven't tried playing any videos or music from it yet (so no hdmi tests), but the racing game that I tested out looked great (though I kept running into walls thanks to the wonky accelerometer.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Hi sinfian and wellcome... I'm glad that you read the forums abit... Sorry to here about the accelerometer issues... Seems that Coby needs to work on the kinks abit... Have you tried to flip the tablet to see if maybe it will work sort of upsidedown? I am thinking of the 1024/25 but if there going to continue to hold back the source codes and software issues I might hold un it...

It was just released so give it abit for a modder to work on it to try to gain root ... WELCOME to the forum...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Start an XDA thread on it.

As for your issues, Coby should get some heat for releasing this with the bugs that it has.

The device itself still looks like it can be of decent value. The performance definitely seems to be there.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Looks like a step-up from the current 7015. Need to run some test to see how much RAM is free and what the CPU is running at out of the box? Android Assistant from Market, SuperBox and Android Optimizer and tell us. System Status also. The other 3 has more detail. If you can run CM3 is should give you over 5,000 or score. Would be interesting to learn more about it. I am still holding out for the 8" model Does the 7" front facing soft touch buttons lite up? Did you get a stand?

Rage of Thunder Games don't seem to work on some 1GHz tablets the A7 did the same thing it had crashed into the wall. If I had use the beta Rage of Thunder 2 it works great.

Last edited:

raj

Mar 23, 2011
Does the 7" front facing soft touch buttons lite up?
Yes the buttons do light up

Did you get a stand?
No stands though

Sorry I am travelling now and I could not bring my Coby Kyros along. By the time I get to play with my Kyros this weekend I am sure a number of other forum members will have their tablets delivered.

sinofian

Apr 4, 2011
Hi sinfian and wellcome... I'm glad that you read the forums abit... Sorry to here about the accelerometer issues... Seems that Coby needs to work on the kinks abit... Have you tried to flip the tablet to see if maybe it will work sort of upsidedown? I am thinking of the 1024/25 but if there going to continue to hold back the source codes and software issues I might hold un it...

It was just released so give it abit for a modder to work on it to try to gain root ... WELCOME to the forum...

Thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately, we've had family in all weekend so I haven't had much time to play around with it yet. I did notice that the accelerometer sort of worked with 'Doodle Jump' if I held the unit at a really aggressive angle & was closer with 'Hungry Shark', but moved on to trying to play around with the GPU settings, configs, & root stuff before digging too deep into that.

As I said, Z4Root (both 'temporary' and 'permanent') failed. It seems to almost finish, re-boots, and.... nothing; it's still un-rooted.

All-in-all, though, I'm happy with the unit. I installed the Amazon Appstore, swiftkey, & a few games & nearly everything is working spectacularly! BTW, I charged the battery when I first got it (on Friday) and haven't plugged it in since :cool:

I'll keep poking around, though; I'm sure that someone will gain root access to the 024's before long.

P.S. I'll try and run some resource tests later tonight or tomorrow & post the results.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks for the feedback.. No stand hmmm? Looks like the 8" unless there isn't any support to get it Rooted?

Vynlora

Mar 26, 2011
I got mine today! Is there an update to Z4 root? Or is there another program I can use to root it?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Try [APP]SuperOneClick v1.7 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App) - xda-developers SuperOneClick, all the available root exploits until it works

Or if this does not work, you can apply the root exploits manually by running scripts like this:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM] Passion_Google_WWE_2.16.1700.1_FRG33_MFG_Shipment_ ROM

I doubt the actual exploits have been patched.

SuperUser
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828

Android 2.3 is going to be harder to root... Hm....

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Are the folks trying z4root doing it multiple times or one shot? I've read where peeps have had to run it several times before rooting.

79fairmont

Apr 4, 2011
Hi guys, I fanally got my 7024 and have also been trying to root it using 4root and have not had any luck. I downloaded Angrybirdsrio and had some trouble at first but after a few times it now runs fine. I installed Applant from the SDcard and have not had an luck with any of the Barcode scan apps it downloads and installs but when it starts to open is is forced closed. Tried video chat but only Fring works for now.:confused: Anthony

I did try Superoneclick v1.7 and it did not work. I will keep trying.

Last edited:

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Well it arrived. First impressions: The touchscreen is not as responsive as my 7015. May need to tweak a bit. Stereo speakers, louder than the 7015. Quadrant crashes. NP with Angry Birds Rio. Android Assistant said processor was running at 996 bogo mips. Wifi did not connect to my Linksys 2000 with DD-WRT until I changed from mixed to g&n mixed. Soft buttons work very well. Center silver button now Home button. While charging the Home button flashes red glows blue when charged. Camera is vga at best .3 megapixel. Grainy in mid lighting conditions. Z4root failed repeated times. Feels nicer in your hand the edges are softer. Also feels lighter better balanced. The reset button is no longer a button on the back but a hole to insert the stylus tip into. I have not found the stylus yet. Browser runs flash content apparently through youtube. Overall with time and tweaking it will be a good tablet for the $$$