Coby MID8042: Install CWM

dymedog

May 29, 2012
I am looking for some help here. I'm sure the instructions are already on here, however I can not find them. I am trying to install CWM so I can use the Mobiz rom. I have downloaded the 8042_mobiz.zip, but I'm assuming that is the update package to install from CWM. Where can I find CWM and how can I install it via xp or perhaps an adb shell app? Thanks guys! (if it matters I am currently running the stock rom that was roted w gapps.)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You don't have to use adb if you are already rooted, just use a file manger with root and copy the files, then download a terminal, su and run the commands from terminal.

example

place the files on your sdcard

use file manger to copy the files

copy reboot-recovery to /system/bin/

copy install-recovery.sh /data/local/tmp/

copy recovery.img /data/local/tmp/

once you have files copied open terminal

su

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

chmod 0775 /system/bin/reboot-recovery

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/system/bin/reboot-recovery

dymedog

May 29, 2012
Thanks CWM is up and running, which of course leads to my next question. I installed the ROM the ffirst time and my wallpaper, google account and all were still there. Inwent back into cwm and wiped cache and delvick the reinstalled and same thing. Also I had edited my build.prop before to look like an Inspire, and that change is still there too. am I not erasimg something? Thanks again!

You don't have to use adb if you are already rooted, just use a file manger with root and copy the files, then download a terminal, su and run the commands from terminal.

example

place the files on your sdcard

use file manger to copy the files

copy reboot-recovery to /system/bin/

copy install-recovery.sh /data/local/tmp/

copy recovery.img /data/local/tmp/

once you have files copied open terminal

su

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

chmod 0775 /system/bin/reboot-recovery

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/system/bin/reboot-recovery

dymedog

May 29, 2012
Just did the reset an no luck. Build.prop still changed to show inspire. Apps are all gone though. Any idea. I would think installing the rom would change build.prop to the right settings.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
what rom are you installing?
the rom should change the build prop.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
almost sounds to me like you are installing the wrong rom, post the name of the rom you are installing.

don't install 8042_ds_Mobiz_V.2.zip as this rom won't do anything unless you have partitioned your sdcard and added two partitions and flashed boot_ds.img.zip

the correct rom is 8042_Mobiz_V.2.zip, if you haven't partition your sdcard and flash the boot_ds.img.zip

8042_ds_Mobiz_V.2.zip the ds in the name means data and system on sdcard.

8042_Mobiz_V.2.zip notice no ds in name this is for normal install.

Last edited:

dymedog

May 29, 2012
Arg!! Now when I go into CWM and pick choose zip from sd card it says no fies found. Root exporer shows the zip fie in /sd/downoads

dymedog

May 29, 2012
Ok I downloaded new file md5 ok. boot into cwm and when i pick chose zip it says no files found. i looked through root explroer and the zip is in there.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
where is the zip? exact path.

where are you putting the zip and how are you putting it there?

it should go on removable sdcard,

but in case it’s not there, in cwm select choose zip from internal sdcard this will allow you to look there for zip as well.

Last edited:

dymedog

May 29, 2012
/sdcard/download. That is where it was before when cwm could find it. im lost.