Coby MID8042 P.A.C.M.A.N. ... Possible? We'll See!

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
I'd be interested in wagering that with the appropriate repartitioning of the on-board nand and the possible near or complete elimination of the "internal/ext sd" and by using a REAL sdCard the space requirements could be easily met for this monster. Though without knowing much about this tablet I would love to have some community advise before diving in and trying to cook you guys up some uber hybrid goodness. From what I have read so far it appears that a least some of the heavy lifting has been done by VampireFo yet I would need to check my notes against the official Google PACMAN chefs work. To any of you that can help me work out the nasty work of repartitioning and getting some drivers together for the device feel free to pm me or post here. For those of you who don't know about PACMAN it's basically Paranoid Android, CyanogenMod, A.O.K.P., all mashed up together where most of the odd issues each causes is strangely enough fixed by the other. This will eat RAM but with the right provisions and management of OOM settings it tends to be beastly.

Thanks in advance
Molikai1988

Here's a quick link to the gitHub:
https://github.com/PAC-man/

This info may or may not doom this project. But with the appropiate adjustments and permissions this is going to be tasty. :)

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Partitioning the tablet isn't a problem, livesuite is required to do that, you will need to build your own livesuite image, many tutorials just use google. If you can't build your own livesuite image, don't expect the users who are going to use your rom to be able to either, As one livesuite image works on the tablet it was build for, but at the same time causes damage to other tablets.

I have built livesuite images that are used to change the tablets partition size and restore dead tablets, they are my personal tools and wont be released nor will I help in making livesuite images, they are a two edged sword. they can fix or destroy a tablet at will. I can only suggest you go with sdcard option.

Second and safest option is to use sdcard get a class 10 make the partitions big, then your space problem is solved with no damage to the tablet. this also requires each user to do their own work, eg partition their own sdcard, then install your rom, time consuming for the inexperienced. For people used to formatting takes about 3 minutes to setup a sdcard.

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
Partitioning the tablet isn't a problem, livesuite is required to do that, you will need to build your own livesuite image, many tutorials just use google. If you can't build your own livesuite image, don't expect the users who are going to use your rom to be able to either, As one livesuite image works on the tablet it was build for, but at the same time causes damage to other tablets.

I have built livesuite images that are used to change the tablets partition size and restore dead tablets, they are my personal tools and wont be released nor will I help in making livesuite images, they are a two edged sword. they can fix or destroy a tablet at will. I can only suggest you go with sdcard option.

Second and safest option is to use sdcard get a class 10 make the partitions big, then your space problem is solved with no damage to the tablet. this also requires each user to do their own work, eg partition their own sdcard, then install your rom, time consuming for the inexperienced. For people used to formatting takes about 3 minutes to setup a sdcard.

Yes...about the live suite...just had the pleasure of nearly being bricked by that. I'm used to HTC devices so this is going to be somewhat of a challenge. HTC devices can virtually shrug off damage to boot, recovery and system partitions. That and they have a more established system of flashing ROMs. I think I will go with the SD option. Are there any special things to do in that regard? I mean on the cooking end?

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
This is not dead in the water quite yet. I have put in a request to Coby to release the kernel source for this tab. Upon their answer (see this thread for news: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ernel-source-code-mid8042-requested-coby.html) I will either heavily modify it and make it an SD Card only rom, or provided they play nice and obey the mighty GPL rather then hide in what's been much to often described as a legal "Grey Area" it will be properly built from source with the permission of its respective owners with minor modification (Paranoid Android will be mashed in either in Redux or left out due to it being primarily a phone ROM to Hybridize a tablet UI in). That is all