Coby MID8065 no internal storage(as in 0) and more,

ricryanb99

Apr 20, 2014
I really don't know what happen to my tablet, it's new to me. My Mom bought this to me as a gift for my birthday, it's second hand by the way. My mom bought it from her nephew, and still in good condition. So when it already ship to us, everything is smooth and nice, I can download games and everything. But when I download toy defense on my tab while playing Family Guy, it froze. So I press the power button for 8-10 seconds to power it off(by the way the freeze this its the second time it happen to me, but I just turn it off and walla, it fix). But this one it's strange, I turn it on, and for 10 minutes it stuck on the android logo. Now I go to the recovery to factory reset it, and wipe the cache. The cache is fine it really wipe off, but the factory reset I just hang to the recovery and nothing happened. So I download a cwm to factory reset this, wipe cache and delvik. And thank God it works. But now this is the problem I encounter when I open my tablet, it had no internal memory as in 0, so I can't download nor install apk course it to be installed to the internal. And that's not the only thing, every time I Turn off my tablet and turn this on, it just like reset again, the instruction, and even my gmail account I need to enter it again, every time I turn this off. So I hunt for the answer in this forum and in saw the dump files for my tablet, risking it if works. I Download the dump files, so flash the cwm to back up there's another problem when I backup "can't attach mtd5". So I just skip the backup and continue to the flashing of dump files and there also a problem "another problem about mtd5." I find for some solution on it but i'm helpless.

By now I can use it, but download apps only the browser and some stock apps. And my tablet is not rooted. I didn't modified this.

Please anyone , encounter like this, how you solved it? Please help me.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Thread moved to the Coby Generation 4 forums, where you're likely to get more replies.

It sounds as if you have a nand lock. I'm sure someone here can confirm or deny my assessment of your problem, but as we found out in the Generation 3 forums, installing a custom ROM, a custom recovery, or both on tablets with ROMs dated 2013 renders the tablet unusable by write protecting the internal memory. To be blunt, you're screwed. There's no way to reverse a nand lock once triggered. Worse, Coby is no longer in business meaning no technical support of any kind from the manufacturer/distributor.

P.S. Installing CWM is modifying the tablet and installing CWM rendered your tablet unusable.

Last edited:

ricryanb99

Apr 20, 2014
I think I still have a chance, because the Coby here at Philippines still in bussines, and i hope they can fix this.

And by the way, i really appreciate answering my question, but still anyone who can help me in this one, I'm still waiting for some solution. And I think I really need to face the reality, about my tab.
Thanks again.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Well I hope I'm wrong and it's something that can be fixed. But from your descriptions, the end result isn't going to be encouraging.

Additional details on the nand lock:
The nand lock is, in its simplest form, a fuse. When something is modified in the firmware, whether it be changing the recovery to CWM or changing the firmware, the fuse is triggered. The trigger is a piece of code in the device's low-level firmware, which you cannot interact with, that detects the changes to the device firmware and changes the input voltage of the flash memory. The change in voltage trips the fuse in the flash memory and sets the flash memory into a permanent write protect mode.

Once the memory is set to permanent write protect the tablet is rendered pretty much useless as there is no way to reset the fuse. Thank certain unscrupulous developers who steal the hard work of people on this forum, add that work to their ROM, promptly attempt to profit from it, and leave Coby to clean up the mess through technical support.

Additional detail: Patent US8117378 - Preventing unintended permanent write-protection - Google Patents

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
If coby will fix it, let them. Tablet requires low level format, via custom tools, which I have no interest in releasing, (linux knowledge, script writing, mbr hacking required.)
So only options get coby to fix tablet, run from sdcard, or sell tablet.

Last edited: