Coby mid9740-8 Dump missing tgz file

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
I recently returned a faulty mid9742-8 and was given a 9740-8 to replace it. I rooted the device with the rootrestore.bat, made a system dump, installed cwm-recovery 6.0.1.1. That went well.

I cannot see the internal sd card from cwm-recovery. So I purchased a external one loaded gapps-ics-20120429-signed and Tweaks-PlayStore on there. I got ahead of myself an applied the 2 zip files before making a backup to the external sd card and now the screen is inverted and the touch screen is the right direction. (sound familiar) So now I went back to my dump to start following vampires guide and discovered that I do not have a tgz file. Heres what I have. I also attach the md5 in a checksum file I made.
mid97408dump11192012.zip

Last edited:

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
Ok now I really screwed up....
So I tried this

"You assume the risk this or any modification could possibly brick your tablet

Ok from what I have read some of you guys have upside down screens, this usually can be fixed via MBR, aka bootloader.

You need adb setup and working if you have a filemanger that has root access this would be great.

anyway download bootloader files.

9742_BOOTLOADER.ZIP

extract some where, on your sdcard would be nice. if you want to use file manger.

adb shell
mkdir /sdcard/na
mount -t vfat /dev/block/nanda /sdcard/na
exit

if you placed the files on sdcard, and have file manger with root access, navigate file manger to /sdcard/na/ delete script0.bin and script.bin then navigate to /sdcard/na/linux and delete u-boot.bin.

then use file manager and copy the script0.bin and script.bin you downloaded to /sdcard/na/ and copy the u-boot.bin you download to /sdcard/na/linux you are just replacing 3 files.

if you want to do via adb you can skip the file manager stuff and just push the files.

adb push script0.bin /sdcard/na/

adb push script.bin /sdcard/na/

adb push u-boot.bin /sdcard/na/linux

in either case reboot.

Do not reboot until you have copied each of the 3 files to where they need to go, if using file manger do a dry run make sure you can find the files that need to be replaced, and where they go before doing anything."

I can still comunicate with the tablet but I cannot see anything cause its fuzzy from boot of the coby screen.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok now I really screwed up....
So I tried this

"You assume the risk this or any modification could possibly brick your tablet

Ok from what I have read some of you guys have upside down screens, this usually can be fixed via MBR, aka bootloader.

You need adb setup and working if you have a filemanger that has root access this would be great.

anyway download bootloader files.

9742_BOOTLOADER.ZIP

extract some where, on your sdcard would be nice. if you want to use file manger.

adb shell
mkdir /sdcard/na
mount -t vfat /dev/block/nanda /sdcard/na
exit

if you placed the files on sdcard, and have file manger with root access, navigate file manger to /sdcard/na/ delete script0.bin and script.bin then navigate to /sdcard/na/linux and delete u-boot.bin.

then use file manager and copy the script0.bin and script.bin you downloaded to /sdcard/na/ and copy the u-boot.bin you download to /sdcard/na/linux you are just replacing 3 files.

if you want to do via adb you can skip the file manager stuff and just push the files.

adb push script0.bin /sdcard/na/

adb push script.bin /sdcard/na/

adb push u-boot.bin /sdcard/na/linux

in either case reboot.

Do not reboot until you have copied each of the 3 files to where they need to go, if using file manger do a dry run make sure you can find the files that need to be replaced, and where they go before doing anything."

I can still comunicate with the tablet but I cannot see anything cause its fuzzy from boot of the coby screen.

you should know a 9742 and a 9740 are different tablets, you shouldn't use any files from a 9742 on a 9740.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I recently returned a faulty mid9742-8 and was given a 9740-8 to replace it. I rooted the device with the rootrestore.bat, made a system dump, installed cwm-recovery 6.0.1.1. That went well.

I cannot see the internal sd card from cwm-recovery. So I purchased a external one loaded gapps-ics-20120429-signed and Tweaks-PlayStore on there. I got ahead of myself an applied the 2 zip files before making a backup to the external sd card and now the screen is inverted and the touch screen is the right direction. (sound familiar) So now I went back to my dump to start following vampires guide and discovered that I do not have a tgz file. Heres what I have. I also attach the md5 in a checksum file I made.
mid97408dump11192012.zip

This is a known problem with the newer coby's they don't use a full version of busybox, so the needed compression isn't included in the busybox. two choices switch busybox, or just drop the compression and use pure tar.

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
This is a known problem with the newer coby's they don't use a full version of busybox, so the needed compression isn't included in the busybox. two choices switch busybox, or just drop the compression and use pure tar.

Is it too late to do that at the point I am now?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Is it too late to do that at the point I am now?

Yes, you have already over written your system, there is nothing to backup, how ever you can flash one of the instable 9042 backups I made, and should fix your problem.

place on micro sdcard

and install via cw recovery.

Last edited:

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
fix the display? lol
LoL I know. The screen went fuzzy after I decided(being stupid) to push the files from the 9742-bootloader.zip It is fuzzy at boot from coby to cwm-recovery to standard boot.

My flawed logic was that the 9742-8 models had a variety of hardware for the screens and that since my problem was the same as a few 9742 tablets it would be a fix to the inverted screen. I was very very very wrong with that conclusion.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
LoL I know. The screen went fuzzy after I decided(being stupid) to push the files from the 9742-bootloader.zip It is fuzzy at boot from coby to cwm-recovery to standard boot.

My flawed logic was that the 9742-8 models had a variety of hardware for the screens and that since my problem was the same as a few 9742 tablets it would be a fix to the inverted screen. I was very very very wrong with that conclusion.

You just need to put your bootloader.img on your sdcard.

once you get it there

adb shell

ls /sdcard

to verify it's on sdcard.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
once you have verified the bootloader.img is on sdcard

download 7042_stock.zip

extract

place install-bootloader.sh on sdcard

adb shell

chmod 755 /sdcard/install-bootloader.sh

/sdcard/install-bootloader.sh

reboot-recovery

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
You just need to put your bootloader.img on your sdcard.

once you get it there

adb shell

ls /sdcard

to verify it's on sdcard.

I was able to turn file sharing and copy bootloader to the internal sd card. I than unplugged it and plugged it back in typed and saw no files in there or anything.

shell@android:/ # ls /sdcard
ls /sdcard
/sdcard
shell@android:/ # ls
ls
acct
cache
config
d
data
default.prop
dev
etc
init
init.goldfish.rc
init.rc
init.sun4i.rc
init.sun4i.usb.rc
initlogo.rle
mnt
proc
root
sbin
sdcard
sys
system
ueventd.goldfish.rc
ueventd.rc
ueventd.sun4i.rc
vendor
shell@android:/ #

edit: The same thing happens when I plug in a working mid9742-8 it list nothing under sdcard when I know there are files on there.

I figured it out by closing the /sdcard/ a typo......

Last edited:

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
once you have verified the bootloader.img is on sdcard

download 7042_stock.zip

extract

place install-bootloader.sh on sdcard

adb shell

reboot-recovery

C:\Android>adb push install-bootloader.sh /sdcard/
60 KB/s (186 bytes in 0.003s)
C:\Android>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ ls /sdcard/
ls /sdcard/
Android
DCIM
Digital Editions
LOST.DIR
Modern_Jazz_Samba.mp3
backups
bootloader.img
dump
eBooks
eMusicIntro.mp3
eMusicOutro.mp3
iStock_000004047806Large_12.jpg
iStock_000006026216Medium.jpg
iStock_000009221330Large.jpg
install-bootloader.sh
na
rooting
shell@android:/ $ su
su
shell@android:/ # chmod 755 /sdcard/install-bootloader.sh
shell@android:/ # /sdcard/install-bootloader.sh
sh: /sdcard/install-bootloader.sh: cannot execute - Permission denied
126|shell@android:/ # su
su
shell@android:/ # /sdcard/install-bootloader.sh
sh: /sdcard/install-bootloader.sh: cannot execute - Permission denied
126|shell@android:/ #
I get this

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
adb push bootloader.img /sdcard/bootloader.img

adb shell

su

mount -o remount,rw /system

exit
exit

adb push install-bootloader.sh /system/bin/install-bootloader.sh

adb shell

su

chmod 755 /system/bin/install-bootloader.sh

/system/bin/install-bootloader.sh

reboot-recovery

Sorry so much easier on Linux, windows requires more input.

Last edited: