Coby Tablet 7022 | 1125 | 1126 | 8127 Update ICS Android 4.0 - Is This True?

zorbar

May 15, 2012
When i did the update on my 1125 , I had a signed gapps zip file( ics version) on sd card. i went to recovery and downloaded it. i had to sign into google and etc when i booted the tablet up. After that all my gapps work. but a problem I seen was the wifi was buggy. Other than that, this is a cool tablet with ics:D
Hi Dakillah3,
How did you manage to bypass the Serial Number? did you installed with app from Coby Germany?
Can you describe how you install the gapps (normal process, after rom installation you went to recovery and installed gapps?)
Where to get the compatible ICS gapps to Mid 1125?

regards

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
One thing to be very, very careful about. Record the serial number you do use, because the German website will tell you that you previously upgraded the machine with the first SN if you try to upgrade again in the future. There is also a tab at the German website where you could try registering your tablet with the number on the back. Whether this would enable this SN to be recognized is unknown and I didn't try it before upgrading.

I'm pretty much determined to stick with ICS through (hopefully) upcoming patches. I didn't back up my tablet and reverting to Gingerbread 2.3.3 would be somewhat of an effort. One thing I have noticed is ICS 4.0.3 uses about 35-40 MB more base memory than GB 2.3.3 but manages storage space a bit better. The tablet is buggy and slow, but worth experimenting with. HDMI appears to be completely screwed up, but with GB 2.3.3 things like netflix already had HDMI program. I wonder if there is a problem with firmware with the 1126 that Coby isn't talking about.

The ICS 4.0.3 upgrade might prove most interesting on an 8127. Smaller more portable tablet with an upgraded screen and interface. It might be worth looking for one.

Last edited:

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Under ICS 4.0.3 I found that the lock and Del keys of a USB keyboard function properly. Using a USB hub I was able to get both the USB keybaord and USB wireless mouse to work. Images show the MID1126 running ICS 4.0.3 as downloaded from the German Coby site.

$1126_068a.jpg $1126_066a.jpg
$1126_064a.jpg $1126_067a.jpg

Click to expand images. More later... Enjoy.

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Another update. WiFi seems to work fine, especially after I installed keepWiFi. Browsing the net with the native browser is mostly good, as are games.

However, Google Earth and Google Chrome either won't install or don't work. Accessing the netflix site is okay, but streaming videos don't work. The worst part is trying to reinstall apks I had under GB 2.3.3 from Amazon or Play Store. The source thinks I have them installed and won't let me reinstall or tells me they are incompatible. The Android market apk actually installed, but when kicks me out when I run it.

...hopefully there will be complaints and patches.

dakillah3

May 21, 2012
Hi Zorbar,

I changed up the serial number from video. Yes, i went on coby germany where you can get the upgrade apk. First I went to the quick boot apk and selected recovery, and then the tablet reseted and went to recovery. Then I selected install from zip which the gapps popped up. After the installation, I rebooted the tablet and then the ics/google setup appeared and then i was done ( some apps like youtube and Chrome Beta , i had to search the internet and download). I went to Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Hope that answers your questions:D

zorbar

May 15, 2012
Hello there,

Yesterday i've decided to go forward and followed an ICS installation guide that i've found in KTZ. Everything went ok, ICS, market, flash, root and CWM. I've made a mistake and i erased all data in SDcard (not tflash) and i had to start all over.. in that time, after installing again, my screen showed the android with exclamation and i thought "i've made s##t... but after pressing hard reset button, finally tablet rebooted in ICS.
Wifi seems a bit unstable, but all the rest is ok until now.
I'll now start to install my apps and let you know.

Regards

Last edited:

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
If anyone gets Google Earth working on ICS let me know. I had it fully functional on my MID1126 under GB 2.3.3. Under ICS 4.0.3 it does install successfully, but after starting, it grinds a while then i get a mesage that Earth has stopoed working.

Pixelpump

May 15, 2012
I had no problem with Google Earth on an 1126 rooted ICS with the latest GAPPS installed.

Last edited:

strung

May 15, 2012
Hi,

Model: MID1125 sell by Memup, France

I have performed update with apk provided by German Coby site. Everything went fine for update process. After a reboot, I have tried to activate WIFI but WIFI activation give me the message "Activation in progress..." and wifi is never UP. I have seen in advanced setting no mac adress for my WIfi card. So it seems that my mid1125 has a specific driver that German update doesn't have and can detect my model.

So i Have decided to restore a backup of Gingerbread 2.3.3 with clockworkmod (custom rom from KTZ Forum).

Everything seems fine andGB was restored.

BUT ICS left some code on my tablet because some actions give me problems on boot and I am locked in a loop at start. Solution: I can acess to fastboot so i can fastboot boot CWM.img and a clear cache or dalvik cache (this action is required) and power off. After that, i can reboot on GB...

What causes the bug ?
- a full charging battery -> Power on and loop on first screen
- if use reset factory from privacy menu, reboot, i see the process to clean but it takes less than 1 sec and loop on first screen
- a crash when wifi is up and tablet is going to sleep: it reboot and loop on first screen

I have never had these issues befire i upgrade to ICS Coby.

Any idea that can help me to restore completely GB? Did you see any help on german coby site for a downgrade ? (sorry my german is limited and google translate doesn't give correct translation sometimes)

Thanks for your reply

Last edited:

zorbar

May 15, 2012
Hello Strung,

It's strange. I've followed the procedures trough the file that we can find in KTZ forum and my wifi is working (with a bit of up and downs, but working).

By the way, i've noticed a bug in my 1125. Everytime i connect a usb flash, the tablet just goes dead. The only way to revive it's to press the reset button. anyone with this problem?

Regards

Zorbar

strung

May 15, 2012
Hello Strung,

It's strange. I've followed the procedures trough the file that we can find in KTZ forum and my wifi is working (with a bit of up and downs, but working).

I have ever had this issue on wifi with mid1125 Gingerbread backup from another country.

I hope that memup will do an update for my tablett but no news from their support...

I am looking for help to restore an image over FWDN or a way to clean properly with clockworkmod my tablet and restore a backup.

Last edited:

zorbar

May 15, 2012
Information on Coby Germany ICS upgrade webpage: Consumer Entertainment Products for Home, Office or On the Go! | COBY

Coby is working on the patch for the update

Immediatly after publishing the Android 4.0.3 update last week we started working on a patch with numerous improvements. Estimately during the next week we will be able to publish a new update which will fix minor issues within the following areas.

HDMI
On some tablets problems displaying video output via HDMI may occur. This is already handeled by the patch.

Video recordings with the build in camera
On certain models recordings with the internal camera are not possible. We are working on a patch.

YouTube
Unfortunately the video playback of YouTube videos is not working properly after the update. With a patch we were able to increase the frame rate from 3 fps to 14 fps, but we are working on further optimizations to increase the frame rate to at least 25 fps.

Videoplayback
Videos encoded with certain codecs are only displayed slowly and with many frame errors. This error results in parts from the same problem affecting the YouTube playback. Here we are also working on a solution.

Tablets with Android 2.3 are now updated with the yet ready patches already included. If you updated your tablet earlier with an update file not containing the patches, you can downgrade to Android 2.3 and update to Android 4.0.3 again. Please contact our support for a description of the procedure. Alternatively the patches will be generally available in a few days.

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
I had no problem with Google Earth on an 1126 rooted ICS with the latest GAPPS installed.

I downloaded and unzipped GAPPS package but have no idea what to use to install the apks. Any help would be appreciated. I also have problems downloading from the Google Play Store. It recognizes my Iconia A500 but not the MID1126.