Coby Tablet 7022 | 1125 | 1126 | 8127 Update ICS Android 4.0 - Is This True?

strung

May 15, 2012
Information on Coby Germany ICS upgrade webpage: Consumer Entertainment Products for Home, Office or On the Go! | COBY

Tablets with Android 2.3 are now updated with the yet ready patches already included. If you updated your tablet earlier with an update file not containing the patches, you can downgrade to Android 2.3 and update to Android 4.0.3 again. Please contact our support for a description of the procedure. Alternatively the patches will be generally available in a few days.

Hi,

I am interresting to have the methos to return to GB. I have send an email to coby germany support but i am not sure to have an answer as i am french customer and not bought my tablett to coby...

I f someone have it ;)

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
This is what worked for me... just follow the instructions in the zip..

Free File Hosting - Online Storage; Upload Mp3, Videos, Music. Backup Files

I installed the updates, I have a newer version of Market, but I'm not rooted.

Problems that still persist:

1. Boot works randomly. Sometimes the boot hangs between the Coby and the Android display on the screen. The only way around this is a reset. In some cases it takes multiple tries. It seems booting is more consistent with the external microSD card removed. I have tried two different, tested elsewhere, good cards with identical files. Some days the tablet boots on the first try, other days it takes many tries. Fixed with replacement microSD card. This seems to be a non-issue now. I may do a low level repartition and format of the 8GB microSD card to determine if the problem was problem hardware or a bad partition.

2. Occasionally the tablet locks up with an audio 'snap' when trying to open the first application. This problem happens with or without the external microSD card. The tablet is locked and I have to reset. (to see if the problem is hardware related I want to revert to GB 2.3.3, see below.) Fixed with replacement microSD card.

3. Both Google Earth and Google Market open then 'stop' according to the message on the screen. If I use a search link to install something that takes me to Market I find I have no devices supported. I am linked to a (gmail) account. I need to get online with my Acer Iconia A500 to see if I can access market. Still trying to figure this out. Got Google Market to work, can't install Play Store. Google maps Street View installs and works. Stll have a problem with Earth.

3a. It appears I can sync my accounts but the button to allow sharing of data seems to be missing. Managed to install Goolge Play Store but can't open an account, Google wants an Android phone account. I have no problem when accessing from my Acer A500, perhaps I can add the Kyros 1126 using the A500 to access my account. managed to sunc an ----.gmail.com account although it somestimes fails to sync.

4. Installed the updates. Things seem smoother but I lost the home buttons (both the hard button and the on screen button.) Fixed by resetting ICS 4.0.3 installation. Will proceed cautiously from here.

5. Netflix 1.7 and 1.7.1 streaming video doesn't work. Netflix 1.5.2 (which worked under GB 2.3.3) doesn't work, I get a message about upgrading. Hitting Cancel quits the stream, where it ran before. I haven't played with Netflix 1.6 (yet.) Still trying to figure this out. Sound but no video on the internal screen or the HDMI port. Upgraded to Netflix 1.8, still no solution. Netflix 1.8 streams perfectly from the Acer A500.

6. Installed wallpaper, but can't find a 'no wallpaper' selection to return to the ICS backdrop. Fixed by resetting ICS 4.0.3 installation. Haven't risked this again, don't have a solution.

Other than that as I play with the tablet things seem to get better and smoother as I play with settings. I like the ICS screens with more smaller icons. Better use of external microSD storage. Memory use is typically 140-160 MB if I kill unused apks (vs. 100-110 MB under GB 2.3.3)

However, I'm thinking of returning to GB 2.3.3 for a while (then doing another upgrade to ICS 4.0.x when a less buggy version is available.) I didn't backup the original OS system. Can anyone provide a link and walk me through installing Clockwork and getting an image file of a recent stock GB 2.3.3 install ? I'm reasonably happy with ICS 4.0.3 after a couple of installations and patches and no longer want to go back to GB 2.3.3

Thanks.

Last edited:

zorbar

May 15, 2012
2. Occasionally the tablet locks up with an audio 'snap' when trying to open the first application. This problem happens with or without the external microSD card. The tablet is locked and I have to reset. (to see if the problem is hardware related I want to revert to GB 2.3.3, see below.)

Thanks.

Same thing happens to me. I don't think it's a hardware problem. with me happens everytime i insert the USB memory stick. Reset is the only solution.

Pixelpump

May 15, 2012
Hang in there, Coby is apparently working on a patch. Hopefully it won't be long. I rooted and installed the GAPPs and though I'm experiencing the bad video, camera, random "crack" reboots, artifacts when auto rotating and slightly flakey WIFI, if Coby can tweak out some fixes, ICS seems to run very nicely on the mid1126 at least. I still have some hope. :)

strung

May 15, 2012
Hi

I have received an anwser from Coby germany support -> sorry, you are not coby customer, thanks to contact your support... SO if someone have the method to go back gingerbread after upgrade to ICS, thanks to provide it here.

Regards,

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Hi

I have received an anwser from Coby germany support -> sorry, you are not coby customer, thanks to contact your support... SO if someone have the method to go back gingerbread after upgrade to ICS, thanks to provide it here.

Regards,

Where do you live, where did you purchase the tablet ?? If you're inside the EU (Spain Portugal, France, etc.) then Coby Germany should provide support without your having to move to Germany. If you are outside Europe like more than a few of us, Coby can probably deny support.

I wonder how much Coby Germany has caught on that users elsewhere are downloading the ICS 4.0.3 upgrade ?? If Coby doesn't release the upgrades worldwide for the few tablets supported in Germany it could lead to bad publicity elsewhere. I wonder why an ICS upgrade was released in a limited market in the first place ??

In any case, I am looking to install Clockworks Recovery and an image of the original stock GB 2.3.3 ROM on my machine if I can get a little help from a more experienced user.

Last edited:

strung

May 15, 2012
Where do you live, where did you purchase the tablet ?? If you're inside the EU (Spain Portugal, France, etc.) then Coby Germany should provide support without your having to move to germany. If you are outside Europe like more than a few of us, Coby can probably deny support.

I wonder how much Coby Germany has caught on that users elsewhere are downloading the ICS 4.0.3 upgrade ?? If Coby doesn't release the upgrades worldwide for the few tablets supported in Germany it could lead to bad publicity elsewhere. I wonder why an ICS upgrade was released in a limited market in the first place ??

In any case, I am looking to install Clockworks Recovery and an image of the original stock GB 2.3.3 ROM on my machine if i can get a little help from a more experienced user.
hi

I am a french user but my tablet is from Memup and named Slidepad116c. But it is a mid1125 and i am using some custom from KTz forum and ics upgrade works except wifi driver...

So they ask me to contact memup to go back GB.

zorbar

May 15, 2012
hi

(...) my tablet is from Memup and named Slidepad116c. (...)
So they ask me to contact memup to go back GB.

Makes sense.... Memup should provide you help, but of course, they will tell you that they can't help you, because you've installed an upgrade from a different brand.

strung

May 15, 2012
Just restore your backup and reflash your gb boot.img

Hi vampire,

Nice to read you again.

When I do a restore with CWMod, there is an boot.img in the backup folder. The standard restore don't do that ? (just to know)

I will try to flash boot.img again (is it the recovery part or what is in this file ?

Thanks for help

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Same thing happens to me. I don't think it's a hardware problem. with me happens everytime i insert the USB memory stick. Reset is the only solution.

I think the problem might be related to the microSD card. I was using a Sandisk 8GB Class 2 microSD card. I copied all the downloads, music, movies to the HD on my netbook and reformatted a known good 16 GB Class 4 Sandisk microSD card.

I then did a clean reset of the tablet without any external card present. After changing parameters I reinserted the reformatted 16 GB card. The downloads and such were then copied by connecting the tablet to the computer, then proceeded to reinstall software.

Originally I wanted to wipe the tablet and reload the latest version of ICS from the German Coby website, but apparently you can't do this if you have ICS already installed.

So far there have been no problems during bootup or when selecting programs. The problem was either the 8GB microSD card slowly going bad, or a corrupted file structure.

Update: I got Google to recognize the tablet, synced a ----.gmail.com account and enabled Google Maps Street View and Google Market (Earth and Google Play Store still quit.) Netflix still doesn't stream video correctly. Even the Cribbage game that had problems under GB 2.3.3 displays properly under ICS 4.0.3. Overall, I'm pretty happy with ICS 4.0.3 on the Kyros 1126 and no longer want to go back to GB 2.3.3.

Last edited:

zorbar

May 15, 2012
Update: I got Google to recognize the tablet, synced a ----.gmail.com account and enabled Google Maps Street View and Google Market (Earth and Google Play Store still quit.) Netflix still doesn't stream video correctly. Even the Cribbage game that had problems under GB 2.3.3 displays properly under ICS 4.0.3. Overall, I'm pretty happy with ICS 4.0.3 on the Kyros 1126 and no longer want to go back to GB 2.3.3.
It's good to read that. CobyGermany say that they will release a new patch this week. let's see if they can improve something and solve some of the bugs.

ndr3

Dec 28, 2011
Hi i have update to android 4.0 but how i rooted my tablet?please someone can help me?i have a 8127!

Last edited:

not12listen

Jun 30, 2011
i am really curious if anyone has applied the most recent ICS to their 7022, and the results - good, bad, no change?

thanks!

Pixelpump

May 15, 2012
Unless I've missed it, it doesn't look like there has been any update from Coby Germany this week... there was no mention on the German site...