Coby Tablet 7022 | 1125 | 1126 | 8127 Update ICS Android 4.0 - Is This True?

vinay_rb

Apr 4, 2012
I am facing some problem while trying to update ICS on my 8127, can you please provide details on how you got it updated?

I tried through the Coby Germany website but after restart my 8127 just shows a triangle with and exclamation mark and freezes, after reset it boots and the Android ver is still 2.3.3.

I will really appreciate your response.

Pixelpump

May 15, 2012
Looks like Coby is dragging it's ass on the promised update... ready next week three weeks ago... Yet I still maintain hope. The current ICS is useable, but just barely.

The Coby German site says -

Tablets with Android 2.3 are now updated with the yet ready patches already included. If you updated your tablet earlier with an update file not containing the patches, you can downgrade to Android 2.3 and update to Android 4.0.3 again. Please contact our support for a description of the procedure. Alternatively the patches will be generally available in a few days.

This is a really confusing block of text... does this mean that 2.3 fixes somehow magically carry over into an ICS upgrade!!?? Would downgrading to 2.3 again and then upgrading to ICS fix everything..??!!

zorbar

May 15, 2012
This is a really confusing block of text... does this mean that 2.3 fixes somehow magically carry over into an ICS upgrade!!?? Would downgrading to 2.3 again and then upgrading to ICS fix everything..??!!

I think that they release a new version with some bug fixes right after the original release. If you want to have those, you've to downgrade and then update again. The problem is that they ask to contact the support centre, but all the emails i've sent, i didn't have a reply. Let's hope the so promised patch will be released...."next week"

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
At this point I am reasonably happy with the ICS 4.0.3 update on the Coby MID1126 tablet. (Although I still think of picking up a 8127 for a more portable tablet and updating to 4.0.3.) Google Earth doesn't work but Google Maps does and the satellite view is as good. Google Chrome opens and stops. The latest version of Android Market (that actually accesses Play Store) works since I sync'd my accounts. I can download software from Amazon, Google Play Store, getJar, Apktop and other sites.

HDMI out works for the MX video player, YouTube, etc. One thing that isn't working is the HDMI output for streaming Netflix. I have tried netflix 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 all with the same result, a black screen on both the tablet and the HDMI out. With the 1024x768 display I have the option of viewing ESPN, Facebook and other sites in native rather than mobile mode.

The capacitive touchscreen seems more consistent and stable than under GB 2.3.3. Crashes or reboots are less frequent than GB 2.3.3, use of external microSD storage is better and if I kill apks, memory use is in the 140-150MB range (compared to 105-115MB under GB 2.3.3) The 145MB use compares favorably to 4.0.3 ruinning on my Acer A500 which is in the 240-250MB range.

With my Acer A500 I found ICS 4.0.3 recognizes NTFS partitions, I managed to read an external, powered 500GB USB HD. It will be interesting to see if the Coby MID1126 does the same.

I'm pretty happy with the install and it has extended the useful life of the MID1126 as a 2nd, cheaper tablet. One use is as a 'kitchen' tablet to look up recipes and other useful information.

Last edited:

zorbar

May 15, 2012
It seems we've fresh news!!

Information on Cobygermany.de

New update available

A new Android 4.0.3 Update for the COBY Kyros Tablets is now available. The following issues are solved with this update:

- HDMI is now more reliable.
- Connecting to the PC the tablet can be used as a mass storage device again
- The stability of WIFI connections has been improved
- Video playback is now utilizing the hardware acceleration
- Further stability and performance improvements

Tablets with Android 2.3 are now updated with the new update version. If you updated your tablet earlier, the system will be updated using the integrated update routines.

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
Do you happen to have the link? I keep getting redirected to coby usa and can't get the download :(

zorbar

May 15, 2012
i have a problem. I've run the android updater file from Coby. downloaded the file and when device reboots after file download, i get the android with exclamation. any ideas? tried two times with same result.

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
All I can get into is cwm 4. I've really boned my 7022. can anyone post their most recent clockworkbackup after doing the ics upgrade from the german site? I totally have a useless device unless I can get that, as my screen doesn't work on my gingerboard :(

Alright after much anti-halfbricking, I got cryogen 7 and cwm 5 put on the 7022. All buttons work, including the screen. Now, when I download the apk from the coby website above, the apk does not install. Anyone have a thought as to why that is?

(Thanks in advance)

Last edited:

Pixelpump

May 15, 2012
Has anyone had any success installing the new update yet? I run the update, it downloads then starts the install process but then on reboot hangs with the little android robot with an exclamation mark.

Last edited:

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
Ugh. Further update - I have backups now of 1) a working cyanogen mod 7 with working wireless or 2) a working 2.3.3 gingerboard with no wireless and the sd card won't mount

in both instances I am unable to do the ICS install. Can ANYONE do a cwm and send us the backup files please? Im at my wit's end and have no other way of doing it.

Pixelpump

May 15, 2012
Looks like Coby.DE has changed the info on their site.... the bottom paragraph now reads -

Tablets with Android 2.3 are now updated with the new update version. If you updated your tablet earlier, please download the package "UpdateAndroid.apk" (see link below) again, install and run it. The new update will then be downloaded and installed automatically. Further system updates will be installed Over the Air from within the running system.

zorbar

May 15, 2012
I'm still having the same problem. I've tried a couple of times more, the android upgrade apk download the update but when the device powers off and start the installation, after some seconds, i receive the android with exclamation mark.... damm... I really want this update as ICS i have still have some bugs: can't see youtube, lot of system freeze, etc...

prossa650

Feb 19, 2011
I'm still having the same problem. I've tried a couple of times more, the android upgrade apk download the update but when the device powers off and start the installation, after some seconds, i receive the android with exclamation mark.... damm... I really want this update as ICS i have still have some bugs: can't see youtube, lot of system freeze, etc...

Do you have any problem in download regarding "low space"?

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
Starbucks f'd my tablet. I had a perfectly good 2.3.3 rooted, and all kinds of goodies. Dl'd an apk of google play for 2.3.3 that was mislabelled and was for 4.0. It then boned my tablet. I then proceeded to pull up cwm and have been stuck there ever since. Wifi works on cm7 no problem, but I'd like to have it back to 2.3.3 stock to update it to 4.0, but the wifi doesn't work at all on that backup. If there was a way to update to 4.0 from cm7 that would also work, but I haven't seen it yet.

I've also tried EVERY single backup I can find of a 7022 off the german website, here, and on xda developers as well as the bulldogz ones to no avail, I can't even get into the operating system of the 4.0 backups (just hangs on android load screen - I read it could first time boot up to 10-15 mins, so I left it for half hour to be sure, still in the android boot loop).

I'm convinced it's because my build is older than the 2012/01/06 build. Thoughts?