Cold Boot ?

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
It would be nice to know which apps are slowing it down. I have a theory but it is probably wrong. theory is that all the various apps that try to sync with things on the web like email, social networking, etc take time to sync before booting will complete. Since I have almost nothing that tries to sync this kind of makes sense but again I could be very much wrong.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Can I just say that so far, only 14 days into it, this year sucks for me & electronics. My laptop thinks blue is my favorite color. I got a mp3 player for Christmas that bricked itself by the 3rd, and now this. I'm wondering if I should find that desktop/ server that has the only known copy of my "permanent record" and stand next to it ;)

I did notice something fishy, I can see the music on the external, but can't play it through any of the media players on the tablet, from the tablet. I can use Google Music to play a track via while viewing in ES File Explorer.

I might not have been clear. When I said "Media" is crashing/ force closing. The notification says "process.android.media.something". So I'm thinking it's either the external is bad and the long boot is the A500 trying to find the stuff on it or there's actually something wrong with the A500. Isn't the "process...." the "part" scans everything and then let's you see it on the A500?

Back to surgery ;)

Greg_E, I like your theory. I'm working on a protocol to test it.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Ok, so took out the SD and had a 2m boot. Reformatted the card to both NTFS & FAT32, both 2m boot. Put the SD card from my mp3 player in, 95s boot. Basically, I'm looking at between roughly 90 & 120 second boot time.

However besides the "Media" crash, I'm now getting a similar notification for Maps whenever I try to use it or the Navigator.
Also, the A500 does not see anything on any of the the cards. No music, pics or vids. I can see and access the external from my file manager though. The only app that see pics on the external is Quickpic.
I'm assuming it's time for a factory reset.
I just go into setting and that's it correct?
I live in fear of doing this, but I guess I have no option.
I can re-download anything I've bought from the Market w/o paying again, right?
Thanks for the help.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Once you download it, you own it. As I found out though, you have to download it from the same site. Duh.:cool:

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
So, I've been playing with for a couple of hours - waiting for my wife to get back, something tells me to not try a factory reset while watching 5 kids.
It's definately an issue with my A500. I've had no force closing or anything until I plugged a USB drive into it. There must be something wrong w/ whatever scans for media on external storage.
I hope the reset fixes this.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Did the factory reset. My A500 has had a consistent 90 to 100 second boot time, with & With out a SD card or flash drive plugged in. It reads all media no matter where it is, and I've gotten no media force close/ crashes.
Just to be on the safe side, I trimmed out about 12 apps that I wasn't using anymore (both market and side loaded). Sadly, I no longer have Google Body. I guess it was pulled from the market (even though it always showed up in My Apps when I was in the Market.), I really liked that app.

Thanks everyone for all the help :)