Comics and software questions

Comicfan

May 2, 2011
I'm about to buy one, but I still have some questions...

I mainly buy it to read ebooks and comics, so for me its most important that the device gives a good overall experience regarding these subjects.

1. Is the screensize 16:9 good for reading comics?
2. Can I play .cbr , .epub , .mobi , .pdf - files without problems?

3. I also notice that there are some problems that are software-related. so how does this work? Acer will release a service pack to fix all this, or do I have to look for separate solutions for each problem myself? is this annoying?

4. and finally, Im in bangkok for the moment but will take the A500 back home to europe, the gps and internet connection wont be a problem?

I'm a noob when it comes to Android...

thanks, Comicfan

brucebarrera

Apr 27, 2011
I use ACV (android comic viewer) and it works great!

I renders fast and I can zoom in and out the pages but usually it fits nicelly on screen.

I recommend.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
except don't buy it for the GPS. Compass is crap, and GPS has some issues.

Not sure if thats true of xoom or asus... but don't buy the Acer for the GPS.

That said, I love this tablet and regularly read PDF and EPUB. I personally highly recommend, unless you rely on GPS. Anyone can correct me if they disagree, I'd love to know if anyone has driven with it on. But for me, Acer is perfect and awesome.

Comicfan

May 2, 2011
ok I bought it, the android comic viewer works like a charm, thanks for the tip!
BUT the device doesnt recognise the usb port, I tried every possible solution thats been suggested in the other topic but no result... tried different brands of correctly formatted flashdrives and my iomega HDD. nothing is detected nowhere. I must say the battery seems pretty crap too, after 4 hours simple use down to less then 30 percent. And if I keep it, i will definetely need some sort of rubber anti-slip strip, or sooner or later this slippery thing is going to hit the floor!

Mixed emotions so far.....

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I think the battery takes a few cycles to become efficient. Both my phone and the tablet had me worried until a couple days passed. I get 10+ hours of constant screen on use, brightness on auto. Which isn't bad.

Don't know bout USB. Only thing I've tried is USB to computer, and that work's like a charm.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
I have both the I pad 1 and the a500. I got the a500 just to change things up, instead of getting the same boring I pad os. I use kindle on both to read books late at night. Ironically I prefer the a500 for the fact that being longer is a plus here. I lay flat on my back and set the tab on my chest long ways vertically. I could never do that with my I pad and holding that sucker in the air for a while made it really heavy. Plus for some reason the screen is easier on my eyes.

Comicfan

May 2, 2011
Thats good to hear about the battery! I downloaded the usb driver, installed an app to unzip it, but I cant find an app to run the .exe file, and nothing already installed recognises it... pffff. Dont get me wrong, I love this thing, but I can not accept a not recognised usb port... I hope that it will get fixed or they can replace it. any tips would still be welcome, or I go back to the store on saturday...

Spot on what regards the advantage of the 16:9 size. its perfect to rest it on your chest in bed and use the extra length. The funny thing is that the 16:9 size gets a lot of critic on Ipad forums, they all claim that the 4:3 size is perfect and "natural" and that 16:9 is only good if you want to watch a widescreen movie, for the rest its crap... this shows how much they know... its unbelievable what gets said about the A500, especially about the size and "brick" weight. Yeah, well its easy to be the smallest and lightest if you dont have to build in usb, hdmi, capacity for extra storage,...