Compatability Issues

SilkLike

Jul 18, 2011
I have the Toshiba Thrive running on Android 3.1 Honeycomb and I have three questions. 1). Why does Android recognize my flash drive which is in FAT32, but does not recognize my WD Portable Hard Drive which is also in FAT32? Additionally, I have a second WD Portable Hard Drive which is in NTFS. When I try to convert it to exFAT (FAT64) I get a message that I will lose all my data if I reformat the drive from NTFS to FAT64.

2). Moving all the files to another location so I can reformat will take 28 hours (when I began that was the message I received). It would be easier to get Andriod to recognize NTFS, but if not, how can I reformat the hard drive without losing all my data?

3). Finally, I have many files downloaded from the torrent site Vuze. Some of the files are in AVI, MKV, MP4, etc. I can view other video files that I did not get from Vuze in these same file formats, yet files I downloaded from Vuze I can not. Any ideas on that?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
This is pure conjecture on my part, but I suspect your problem is missing drivers. The code necessary to control/operate the hard drive is not in the ROM you have. Internal storage is precious on a tablet, so IMHO they didn't include something that only a few users would want. Perhaps someone here or at Toshiba who knows a lot more about this stuff will post and say I'm crazy. I hope that's the case, but before you spend 28 hours on 2). try to check it out.