Compatible Flash Drive?

MetaMs

May 1, 2011
I have a SanDisk Cruiser 8 GB flash drive that will NOT work in my A500. I traded temporarily with someone in my office because his 8 GB flash drive works fine in the A500. He doesn't want to trade permanently.

I need to buy another stick, but I want to be sure I order one that will work with the A500. Any recommendations? If you're able to use a USB flash drive with your A500, what is the brand. Thanks!

beastman

May 8, 2011
The obvious...buy what you have been trading for and using, since you know it works.
Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

robdroid

May 4, 2011
USB drives needs to be formatted as FAT32 for most Android tablets. Many USB drives that have previously used with Windows are not formatted as FAT32 and need to be re-formatted to work with Android tablets.

shdw03

May 11, 2011
my old 4g cruiser works just fine? even my bestbuy 8g. never bothered to check formatting tho.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

MetaMs

May 1, 2011
The one I traded for is not available for sale. It was a promo item included with other hardware. Both sticks are formatted FAT32.

zealouz

May 26, 2011
Not sure how this info helps but I thought I'd mention it...

I have a brand new, just out of the package Sandisk Cruzer (8gb)...just tried it in my Iconia tab and it was read successfully. I did this just after an OTA update installed...not sure what all was part of this OTA push but the Sandisk Cruzer is being recognized. Not sure if this would have been the case previous to the OTA push.

Oct 18, 2010
The 8gb cruder should work. I have two 4gb cruzers, one still has the cruder software (shows up as a cdrom) and one doesn't. Both work fine. You can try downloading the HP USB Key Formatter (windows) and let it do a complete format to fat32 and see if that helps. I find it helpful when a USB stick gets fubar'd.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Dart

May 2, 2011
Everything I stick on the Acer works. Just purchased at CompUSA a real tiny PNY 4GB Attache Micro Swivel usb for $8.99. Works perfectly. And since it is only an inch or less in size, it is awesomely convenient.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Every fat32 usb storage device I've ever used with the A500 has worked. My only thought is that the USB device is formatted as exFAT. M$FT has moved away from FAT32 with Windoze 7 and as a result exFAT has been increasingly common on portable devices.

visaliaweb

Jun 7, 2011
I just bought the ACER 32g from Costco, along with a 16g Sandisk Flash Drive they sell for $29.99, unbeliveable, works right out to the box. If anyone knows anyone interested in an ACER Tab, have them lookup Costco.com, ACER 32g Iconia tab was $489, included case and a mini to full size HDMI cable, WOW

I have a SanDisk Cruiser 8 GB flash drive that will NOT work in my A500. I traded temporarily with someone in my office because his 8 GB flash drive works fine in the A500. He doesn't want to trade permanently.

I need to buy another stick, but I want to be sure I order one that will work with the A500. Any recommendations? If you're able to use a USB flash drive with your A500, what is the brand. Thanks!

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I just bought the ACER 32g from Costco, along with a 16g Sandisk Flash Drive they sell for $29.99, unbeliveable, works right out to the box. If anyone knows anyone interested in an ACER Tab, have them lookup Costco.com, ACER 32g Iconia tab was $489, included case and a mini to full size HDMI cable, WOW

A case? Can you include a picture of the case? Is it the same one they sell for $40 for the Iconica?

dweebken

Jun 8, 2011
I just tried a 4 GB Lexar drive that I got the other day for $6:00. It's FAT32 formatted, and just works. (both to and from the Iconia)

sf95070

Jun 8, 2011
While they don't give requirements in the doc's it appears that there may be a speed requirement for these USB drives to work. I took a 1 GB drive and formatted it to both FAT and FAT 32 and in neither case would my Acer A500 recognize it.

Corsair Data Traveler 32 immediately started flashing its activity led when plugged in and worked great.

Patriot Rage XT 32 GB also works.

BTW, 32 GB USB plus 32 SD + 16 GB internal=80GB accessable at once in a tablet.

I'm in love....:cool:

Last edited: