Compatible Flash Drive?

BigW34

Jun 18, 2011
You all need to buy an App in the market called "USB Mount All v.1.3". It formats the tablets to accept all USB drives including FAT32. I found it researching the same questions you guys had and installed it. Works perfect.

mcandahl

Jun 20, 2011
I am new to these tablets. I have a A500 and want to use a flash drive for work items. How do you know if they work or don't? I can not figure out where to go to see whats on the drive. help.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You all need to buy an App in the market called "USB Mount All v.1.3". It formats the tablets to accept all USB drives including FAT32. I found it researching the same questions you guys had and installed it. Works perfect.

Fat16 and Fat32 are BOTH handled by default in the Acer.
No application is needed.

Those drives that don't work usually have some security features and partitions on them. You can reformat them with any windows machine to get around this.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I am new to these tablets. I have a A500 and want to use a flash drive for work items. How do you know if they work or don't? I can not figure out where to go to see whats on the drive. help.

Go to the market and down load ES File Explorer. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&feature=search_result See their website here. Its an awesome app and it lets you see the content of your entire Tablet and Flash Drive and move things from place to place. It will also browse your local area network and let you move files from your computer to your tablet and vise versa. Play with it for a few minutes to see how it works. Don't go deleting files with it.

Almost any Flash drive will work. Its rare to find one that doesn't. Just avoid those with the so-called "security switches". Start with any you have laying around.

When you plug in the flash drive ES File Explorer will show you the contents of the drive.
(Local tab, press the microSD symbol (first symbol on the second line of icons)
Then scroll down to /mnt and tap it. Then select USB_storage and the content of your Flash Drive will appear. Tap any file and it will open, as long as Android knows what it is. (docs, jpgs mp3s etc).

But Android will find stuff on that drive with other programs as well.
Use the Gallery app that is pre-installed. It will find all the pictures that are on the flash drive.
Use the Music app. It will show you all the music that is on the flash drive.

It takes these apps a brief few minutes to scan the drive and find all the files, so if they don't
show immediately give it 3 minutes.

Last edited:

Jeffp25

Jul 16, 2011
Any idea if it will work with flash media and a card reader? I'd like to be able to view photos on SD and CF cards, which means attaching a USB card reader, which SHOULD be possible on the Acer USB host port, but I'd like to know before I make a decision on buying one.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Any idea if it will work with flash media and a card reader? I'd like to be able to view photos on SD and CF cards, which means attaching a USB card reader, which SHOULD be possible on the Acer USB host port, but I'd like to know before I make a decision on buying one.

Well, Just for you Jeff, I dug thru my junk drawer and came up with my ancient Multi-slot card reader which looks like this one, except it has the "Crucial" brand name. These things are a dime a dozen these days. This one dates from just prior to the end of the Pleistocene.

I414476.jpg

I slapped a Compact Flash card from an older camera in it. Plugged it in while the Tablet was sleeping, woke it up, and used ES File Manager to read and write to the card. All the pictures from the camera were shown, both in ES File Manager and the Gallery.

Then I plugged a microSD-to-SD Adapter in, and put an old MicroSD card in there. That worked too.

That's when I ran out of odd ball card types to test.

I found that its best to plug in this device while the tablet is sleeping.

Sometimes it misses the fact that something new was plugged in if it is awake, specially if you unplug one thing and immediately plug in another.

After you plug, and unplug different storage media into the card reader a few times the Tablet can get confused, and refuse to recognize it any more. If you just give it some time to reorganize it's cache it seems to start working again. Worst case, reboot with the storage reader already plugged in always worked.

So yeah, it will read a bunch of different media plugged into the USB port. But it doesn't like many surprises piled on it in rapid succession.

Attachments

• $I414476.jpg
    $I414476.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 912
Last edited:

Desso

Jul 18, 2011
I have a Cruzer 32 gig that won't even be recognized with any file explorer or media program AFTER formatting it to FAT32. My Sandisk 2 gig works fine. I'm pretty bummed. ANY ideas? And as always, TIA.

SFJENSEN

Jul 25, 2011
I am using a card reader that accepts SD card. After I reformatted the card to FAT 32 it is usable with my Tablet. I found the drive using ASTRO flie browser under mnt/usb_storage.

Thanks for the tips on reformatting.

Jul 30, 2011
Everything I stick on the Acer works. Just purchased at CompUSA a real tiny PNY 4GB Attache Micro Swivel usb for $8.99. Works perfectly. And since it is only an inch or less in size, it is awesomely convenient.

That does sound convenient. Pity I can't get the same in my neck of the woods (which is a few continents away!)

nathan179

Jul 25, 2011
Go to the market and down load ES File Explorer. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&feature=search_result See their website here. Its an awesome app and it lets you see the content of your entire Tablet and Flash Drive and move things from place to place. It will also browse your local area network and let you move files from your computer to your tablet and vise versa. Play with it for a few minutes to see how it works. Don't go deleting files with it.

Almost any Flash drive will work. Its rare to find one that doesn't. Just avoid those with the so-called "security switches". Start with any you have laying around.

When you plug in the flash drive ES File Explorer will show you the contents of the drive.
(Local tab, press the microSD symbol (first symbol on the second line of icons)
Then scroll down to /mnt and tap it. Then select USB_storage and the content of your Flash Drive will appear. Tap any file and it will open, as long as Android knows what it is. (docs, jpgs mp3s etc).

But Android will find stuff on that drive with other programs as well.
Use the Gallery app that is pre-installed. It will find all the pictures that are on the flash drive.
Use the Music app. It will show you all the music that is on the flash drive.

It takes these apps a brief few minutes to scan the drive and find all the files, so if they don't
show immediately give it 3 minutes.

Icebike this was an extraordinarily helpful post, thank you very much for your contribution.

Brian64

Aug 20, 2011
I'm currently using a Verbatim 500gb portable drive (model #53011).

Quite happily playing mp3's and movies on it so far.. File Manager HD finds and explores it even quicker than ES File Explorer (which also finds it).

YMMV..

Brian