Compatible Flash Drive?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
ACER pushes the update out according to serial number so maybe your tablet serial number be different from A500 serial numbers.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Sorry Icebike,

I maybe mistaken but I've used RED HAT/FEDORA and still there are problems with writing to NTFS but no problems reading from. I have a LINUX PC at home just for me to use LINUX - the rest are win.

But I'm willing to suggest that I'm uninformed and you may be right. :confused:

If you want write access you have to use the ntfs-3g package as root and mount with via fstab in the normal way.
You may also need the fuse package installed.

I use Opensuse, Archlinux, and various Ubuntu releases, and they all support this ntfs-3g for both read and write.
A generic description of how to do this is here:
How to mount partition with ntfs file system and read write access

The ONLY problem I've ever seen is that an NTFS drive with errors has to be repaired in Windows
before it will mount in Linux.

If you want very high-performance NTFS drivers you can try the free version of Paragon's commercial
package from here: Paragon NTFS&HFS for Linux Express - Overview

When using this package, NTFS support on ubuntu, I found it way faster then ext3.

They support all of these Distros:
Linux distributions this product was tested with:
- Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04
- Fedora Core/Fedora 3, 4, 15
- OpenSUSE 11.4
- CentOS 5.5
- LinuxMint 10
- Slackware 13.1
- Mandriva Linux Free 2011
- Debian 6.01

Phred

Sep 27, 2011
I have a Lexar media JumpDrive Trio, that accepts multiple types of cards. (I also tried a couple other drives, but this one works the best with my PC)
If I place a SD card in the drive, then it's recognized and I can see the pictures on the drive.
If I place my Memory Stick Pro Duo in the drive, then it doesn't seem to see it at all.
Both cards are 2 gigs.
I can access the Memory stick in the camera and PC just fine (using the same jump drive).
I reformatted the memory stick to FAT32, since it just said FAT. (trying anything at that point)
Are there any known issues with memory sticks?
I also downloaded File Manager HD (Honeycomb), and the results were the same when looking in that, the SD card's files show up, and the memory stick look the same as if the drive wasn't plugged in.
I waited until I got 3.2 today to post, it didn't make a difference.
Any thoughts?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
If you start swapping memory in the usb drive you can get the tablet fairly confused to the point it won't mount anything.

Try booting with problem combination inserted.
I have a different multi card reader and plugging and unplugging can confuse it.
I don't have any sony specific memory cards anymore to test with.

Phred

Sep 27, 2011
If you start swapping memory in the usb drive you can get the tablet fairly confused to the point it won't mount anything.

Try booting with problem combination inserted.
I have a different multi card reader and plugging and unplugging can confuse it.
I don't have any sony specific memory cards anymore to test with.

Sorry, I forgot to include that.
I've tried shutting down and booting with just the memory stick duo.
I've tried plugging it in while it was asleep.
And I tried different memory sticks too...

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
I just received my two 64 gig Centon DataStick Sport usb drives.
They are formatted ntfs.
Put about 50 gigs of movies on one and stuck it in my A500.
Took a minute to read the contents since, as I said it was 50 gigs.
Opened Mobo player and everything worked just fine.
Then I opened Act1 player and it worked great also.
Act1 is better because some movies do not take up the full screen and while you can change the screen size in Mobo it does not always go full screen.
In Act1 you can stretch the video all the way to fit the screen.

grootmokum

Sep 28, 2011
Strange. Camera and any other usb-sticks, those all work fine on my Iconia.
But my Sandisk Cruzer 8gb is only recognized when i fire-up the tablet with the stick inserted.
The stick is wiped, reformatted @fat32 and is without any promblems when used in desktop and laptop.
But acts as described here in th Iconia. Weird?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Strange. Camera and any other usb-sticks, those all work fine on my Iconia.
But my Sandisk Cruzer 8gb is only recognized when i fire-up the tablet with the stick inserted.
The stick is wiped, reformatted @fat32 and is without any promblems when used in desktop and laptop.
But acts as described here in th Iconia. Weird?
Some sticks come with utility software preloaded. Even if you formst them they may be partitioned and you'll need to delete partition.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Same here, every USB device I have tried, and I have many, works fine. I even use a USB SD card reader and transfer pictures from my Nikon SD card with the reader. That is why the Acer A500 rocks. I am glad I gave away my iPad and bought this.

damian

Nov 27, 2011
i use a patriot 16gb thumbdrive, half an inch - tiny, works absolutely great..its like a permanent storage

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
As far as I know, no version of Android supports any file format with a larger capacity than FAT32, so you have a 32 GB limit. I know that you can root a tablet and add the ability to work with NTFS (which appears to be very easy on the A500), but I haven't tried it yet.
I have usb drives, 64 gigs each, that all work and 2 are formatted ntfs and one is fat 32.

lostinamerica

Feb 10, 2012
I had a problem with a 32 gb drive. formatted in windows. Then I read to try a different format tool. I used one from HP. Now the drive works in my A500.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I had a problem with a 32 gb drive. formatted in windows. Then I read to try a different format tool. I used one from HP. Now the drive works in my A500.

Yeah windows can do strange things. Sometimes the sectors markers don't match properly - something windows does always - causing incompatible sector sizes.