Compiling libCustomWifi for tiwlan01 to support *ad-hoc

ebarcus

Jan 13, 2011
Looking for help on this one
According to this link:
szym.net » Ad-hoc Wifi in Android

there would be three options for adding ad-hoc support to the Archos devices.
the "manual" method for me just wont work and is a super pain (if using more than one ad-hoc network)

the option to remask IBSS networks with the asterik prefix however WOULD be genius!
It would allow us to connect to any ad-hoc network as you are use to doing now through the android settings.

According to SZYM
What I'd recommend is check the wpa_supplicant that ships with Archos and see if the driver that's being used is wext or tiwlan0 or something else. To figure this out you need to pull /init.XXX.rc and find the wpa_supplicant service.
If the driver being used is tiwlan0 then you will need to figure out how to compile libCustomWifi. For example, to build wpa_supplicant for Motorola Droid you need to set in the environment:

BOARD_WLAN_TI_STA_DK_ROOT=system/wlan/ti/wilink_6_1
BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER=CUSTOM

With my a70 (250gb) the build.prop file shows that wifi.interface=tiwlan0

also see these notes
When compiling wpa_supplicant for your Andriod device you will need to make sure it can talk to the wireless driver. This is done through a "wpa_supplicant driver". The "wext" driver uses Wireless Extensions which is the standard Linux interface to a wireless driver (also used by iwconfig, iwlist, iwpriv) . Wilink (the wifi device from Texas Instruments) had no wext support in the early days of Android (G1) and instead used libCustomWifi (compiled from sources within system/wlan/ti/*/wpa_supplicant_lib).The recent version has wext support and libCustomWifi is actually mostly a wrapper around wext, but because of a few extra commands it still requires libCustomWifi.

Interestingly enough my Hauwei s7 gained ad-hoc support by using the wpa_supplicant file from my rooted droid1, this file does not work on the Archos however I think we will need a modified version of this file for our devices. The file will need ap_scan=2 at least
Also I have modified both tiwlan.ini tiwlan_ap.ini to change the variable WIFIAdhoc to be a 1 instead of a 0 in both files in "preparation"

I saw that the source for these tablets was out, I suppose that is where we will have to start with compiling libCustomWifi anyone have any other ideas? (i have a week of vacation coming up haha lets put it to good use)