Confused grandparents

taffspark

Dec 11, 2012
Hi, We are thinking of getting a child friendly tablet for our 8 year old granddaughter. Would she be too old for a Nabi 2 tablet?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi taffspark and welcome to the forum. An 8 years old might not be to old now for the tablet you are mentioning but she might be next year our in two years. So why not to buy a tablet not made specifically for children, a tablet she can still enjoy in 5 years! If you like the price of the kobo you can get her a nexus 7 at the same price but with google market not just amazon and better screen. Or the beautiful new nook hd , same price, amazing screen and the lightest of all......kobo is a little on the heavy side to hold. Both Barnes and Noble, for the nook and google for the nexus have apps good for parental control, so the parents can keep an eye on her.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2012
The Nabi2 doesn't have bad hardware, but I have no experience with it. I've seen articles saying they could be rooted, so it may not be a bad long term choice. However, it is a bit pricey. Personally, I'd avoid the BigLots specials like the plague! I'd sooner go for the Samsung Tab 2 7" for a no-brainer. If you're willing to do some setup, the Onda V701 can be had for under $100 or Newegg has the V711 for $125. If you find a good US reseller, they'll likely flash firmware and clean the Chinese bloatware to avoid the setup hassles. I got my V712 from a US reseller for $150 expecting to do more, and only had to associate my Google Play account with the device.