Confused?

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
I have been reading most all day, about rooting my Nook Color. I wanted a tablet, and someone suggested rooting my NC, which I did. Autonooter 1.0.0 Version.

However, I what I wanted was a tablet with Bluetooth access. One place stated that if I rooted Nookie Froyo I would have Bluetooth. Another place said I wouldn't... so while reading all this information, I stumbled upon something else.

I thought even if I rooted my NC , I could still get updates sent to my NC via B & N. While reading, I found out that if you rooted your NC you couldn't get updates. You need to unroot your NC, sideload the update from B & N, and then re-root??

Which is the right information?? All I want is a tablet with access to the market, and has Bluetooth....

Thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Rhonda, depending on what you do after you root your Nook you may or may not get updates. If you just root your nook using autonooter you will continue to recieve over the air (OTA) updates or can side load them if you choose to do it yourself and not wait for the OTA update to find you. B&N updates will most likely break your root and require you to reroot.

If you install CWR (and or any custom ROMs through CWR) on your Nook after rooting it will (probably) block all B&N updates. In that case if you wanted a B&N update you would have to either uninstall CWR and get the update which will probably break root or uninstall CWR and revert to a stock nook and get the update.

To get bluetooth you must use CWR to install a custom ROM. Bluetooth is not even listed as a feature of the nook and is purely enabled by the developers of custom ROMs because the wifi chip happens to include bluetooth capabilities. If you choose to use a custom ROM to get bluetooth your nook will not update with B&N updates. You also will not be able to install B&N updates because you will be using a custom ROM and it will have nothing to do with B&N at that point.

If all you want is bluetooth and market access you need to use a custom ROM with bluetooth enabled and forget about B&N updates or anything related to stock B&N functionality. B&N stock functions and bluetooth are on two different paths and you can only choose one or the other.

Last edited:

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Thank you for explaining, in a language that I understand. I would really rather have bluetooth and the market apps, and forget about B & N because I can always just install the Nook App. In fact, I would rather install everything, and then forgo any updates B & N have so it won't break my root.

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
I have one more question....As I stated in previous threads.. I'd really like to just root my nook to the Froyo. But, there have been several people that have had issues with the market once they install it. The video I am using gives some instructions on how to fix that, but again... I am new to this, and unsure if I can do this.

I wonder if I were to try the Froyo, and I mess it up, could I just wipe it, and then reinstall with the autonooter??

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, if you mess up with Froyo (or any other ROM) you can wipe it and go back to stock/autonooter. From what it sounds like in your various posts you just want a tablet with flash and market. In that case I suggest Phiremod Beta 2 which is stable with flash and market. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...hiremod-nook-beta-2-themed-froyo-2-2-1-a.html

At this point in time all ROMs have some bugs but they won't keep you from enjoying your Nook tablet. There are a couple of other ROMs in the works (CM7 and Phiremod 5.x) which should becoming out soon as stable release builds with flash, market and bluetooth. In your case I think starting with Phiremod Beta 2 and waiting a couple of more weeks for this to happen would be a good strategey.

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Yes, if you mess up with Froyo (or any other ROM) you can wipe it and go back to stock/autonooter. From what it sounds like in your various posts you just want a tablet with flash and market. In that case I suggest Phiremod Beta 2 which is stable with flash and market. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...hiremod-nook-beta-2-themed-froyo-2-2-1-a.html

At this point in time all ROMs have some bugs but they won't keep you from enjoying your Nook tablet. There are a couple of other ROMs in the works (CM7 and Phiremod 5.x) which should becoming out soon as stable release builds with flash, market and bluetooth. In your case I think starting with Phiremod Beta 2 and waiting a couple of more weeks for this to happen would be a good strategey.

Ok, I think I understand.. I might go ahead and try to install Nookie Froyo!!