Connect Android Tablet to Windows Laptop through Ethernet

k2n2a2

May 12, 2014
Hi all,
I have an android tablet that runs Android 4.2 OS with a USB port. I am looking for a way to connect that tablet to my windows 7 laptop through Ethernet (I also have a RJ45 to USB adapter that works well with the tablet), so I want to run an Ethernet cable between the laptop and the tablet, and connect them together.
My goal is to connect the tablet to the laptop, and run a remote desktop from the tablet to control my laptop, while my laptop is just sitting on the floor (powered up of course).
Any ideas?
Thanks

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

What you are describing won't work. If the laptop and tablet are on the same network you shouldn't need to do that anyway. A part of the story sounds as if it's missing. Can you not see the laptop using a file manager like ES File Explorer?

k2n2a2

May 12, 2014
Thank you,,

well, I am wondering if I can run a remote desktop program on the tablet to log into the laptop and do stuff (use programs installed on the laptop that I cant run on the tablet), so I am looking for a way to use the tablet as tool to control the laptop (make the tablet like an external monitor/keyboard)..

k2n2a2

May 12, 2014
Thank you for the reply, I didnt even know that there is a windows remote desktop for android, I was thinking about using a third party app, but this is awesome..
about being on the same network, well, this is what I am trying to achieve by connecting the laptop and the tablet through the Ethernet cable to create a network between the laptop and the tablet only. I know that if both the tablet and the laptop are connected to wifi, then there is no need to do the Ethernet connection since both devices are on the same network already. but I would like to do this (use the remote desktop between the tablet and the laptop) even when I don't have wifi..
sorry for the confusion..

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you don't have WiFi obviously that could be a problem but if you have an Ethernet adapter that works all you need to do is connect the tablet to the same router/switch.