Connecting To The Internet

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
Just received my 7015 and am having some issues

1. I currently get online through my netbook using a flash drive modem. I tried to hook-up to my Kyros but nothing happened, i.e. I don't know how to recognize the software on the flash drive and then install it. Is it possible to install then use the flash drive modem?

2. An alternative is buying a wireless router then hoping I can connect to a local WiFi. Which type of router do I get? N, G, etc?

My preference is #1 since I know the connection works ans I have a strong signal.

Any advice? I want to use my new toy :)

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Make sure any wireless router you get has multiple antenna. The Coby is not a strong wireless performer and any help you can give it through better antenna is better.
I have a Dlink, DIR-655 that works really well anywhere in the house.

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
Thank you. "Connect the Xtreme N Gigabit Router to a cable or DSL modem and provide high-speed Internet access..." uhm, so I need an actual modem??

Also, I have an external cd-rom player for my Netbook, will this work with the Kyros to install the router if I go that route?

I am computer literate but have never dealt with these issues, obviously. I'm now in a convalescent home so need wireless.

Last edited:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
You'll need a WiFi connection in order to connect to the internet. Your flash drive modem won't work. If the home you're in has WiFi you may be able to use that.

By the way, yes, you need a wired internet connection (DSL or Cable modem). The router simply takes that connection and makes it wireless.

To my knowledge your DVD drive will not work with your tablet.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
If your location has Wi-FI, select;
The hard MENU key,
Select SETTINGS
Select WIRELESS & NETWORKS
Select Wi-Fi SETTINGS,
Select the hard MENU button

That's all you need. The Coby is ready to go out of the box for connection to Wi-FI (Internet) Let us know if you need further help.
Select SCAN
and then look for a wireless router in your location and connect to that. You will have to ask the owner of the router for the password etc.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
You can try and see if the eternal cd player will work but i don't think you will get enough power out of the tablet to run it. let us know up on the link i gave to another thread running for USB items that do work with the tablet. Good luck.

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
Thank you all. I read everything and if I digested it all correctly, I will need a router password and SSID, etc. I'd be willing to bet the home won't allow that. So, technically, WiFi is no longer an option.

So, we start over. I am thinking I will contact my ISP and ask them for the modem, then buy a wireless router as you describe above.THEN hopefully I'll be able to get online.

GotNet

Jan 1, 2011
Just received my 7015 and am having some issues

1. I currently get online through my netbook using a flash drive modem. I tried to hook-up to my Kyros but nothing happened, i.e. I don't know how to recognize the software on the flash drive and then install it. Is it possible to install then use the flash drive modem?

2. An alternative is buying a wireless router then hoping I can connect to a local WiFi. Which type of router do I get? N, G, etc?

My preference is #1 since I know the connection works ans I have a strong signal.

Any advice? I want to use my new toy :)
"Flash Drive Modem" You mean via a cell provider? If you wish to keep using that (could be pricey) for portability, there are routers (Linksys and Dlink come to mind) that will accept your current USB modem. Then connect to the Coby and the netbook and whatever else via traditional WiFi.

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
"Flash Drive Modem" You mean via a cell provider? If you wish to keep using that (could be pricey) for portability, there are routers (Linksys and Dlink come to mind) that will accept your current USB modem. Then connect to the Coby and the netbook and whatever else via traditional WiFi.

Yes, the flash drive is from a cell provider.

This is sounding more doable, thanks. Just sent a lengthy email to my ISP so now I will try to be patient.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Since you say you are in a convalescent home, just ask them..... Hell that may be part of the deal.
No harm in asking. Most people expect to be connected were ever they are. Hotels allow it.
Just do it..... good luck.

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
Did ask, was told NO. Why?? No firewall. Yes, my jaw dropped open. They should have it but it will take about 6 months. I can not even fathom why or who is so inept it takes another 6 months. I told them I would not look at resident medical records, but they won't budge.

I'm wondering is there is a tablet that would support the flash drive modem .....

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011

Thank you. So if I buy this router, I'd need a wireless modem, i,e, (Amazon.com: Sierra Wireless AT&T Lightning USB Aircard Modem: Electronics) or (Amazon.com: 4595 3G Mobile Broadband Modem: Electronics) with the latter seeming to be my preference. That is IF the Kyros will accept the USB modem. This is the crux of my problem.

I'm considering going to another tablet that WILL accept my USB modem -- any suggestions??