Connecting To The Internet

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, a USB modem.

BUT!! Just spent 30 min in chat with another ISP and it seems I can keep my Kyros. All I need is 1 piece of their wireless equipment (free with 2 yr contract) and no USB modem, no router.

I want to read a bit more about it since the job of the chat rep is to sell but it sounds like the solution fell into my lap, $35 for 3G per month

GotNet

Jan 1, 2011
Cool - what you will end up with is a single box combining the modem you use now and the router I suggested. The monthly fee you are paying now is more than $35, correct?

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
I believe the cost is around $40 per month but I can only use it on the netbook and laptop. This is compatible with my Kyros

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
I read about the MiFi then went to both the professional and consumer review sites. It does seem right for me, so I believe I'm going to try it. You get 14 days to try it out. If it works with my netbook, laptop AND Kyros, I'll keep it and then cancel my current ISP.

Cross your fingers! I can't wait to actually use my Kyros.

GotNet

Jan 1, 2011
We have several of those at work and are very nice to take on trips. Remember, the combination router with the USB modem you already have is essentially the same thing. So if you are not done with your current contract that is still an option to not pay an early cancellation fee. Good luck!

salzybaby

Oct 5, 2010
Have you tried connectify.me? It is a program you would load on the netbook. It would turn your netbook into a wifi hot spot. I tried it with a netbook at work. The wifi at work is password protected. Got on with the netbook, started connectify me, and bam, had wifi on my kyros...

Sent from my Samsung Mesmerize Galaxy S

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
Heh, found out during research my current provider offers MiFi, so about 30 min ago I emailed to ask if I could change devices yet keep the contract.

Small, wireless, cost is reasonable AND the Kyros is compatible. Is this a dream? :)

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
Have you tried connectify.me? It is a program you would load on the netbook. It would turn your netbook into a wifi hot spot. I tried it with a netbook at work. The wifi at work is password protected. Got on with the netbook, started connectify me, and bam, had wifi on my kyros...

Thank you! Will go check that out right now

GotNet

Jan 1, 2011

Sent from my Samsung Mesmerize Galaxy S
Requires Win7 and the netbook would need to stay on to function. It is also Ad Supported. Just FYI....

sicksquirrel

Jan 26, 2011
Requires Win7 and the netbook would need to stay on to function. It is also Ad Supported. Just FYI....

Ads? Ewwwwwwwww!

I'm debating between Verizon and Virgin.

$40/month unlimited bandwidth, $150 device, NO contract [vm] so a year $480 plus $150 but unlimited gb ....

$35/month just 3 gb, $FREE device, 2-year contract, $70 device/1 year contract [vz] so a year $420 plus $70 but 3 gb ...

Which would you choose, and why?

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
I would pick the 1 that fits my needs.

(VM) I would choose this 1 because I'm always online, I use way to much data and I will use up those 3gbs in a week. $150 upfront for the device is nothing for me. I get great signal from this carrier where I'm at.

(VZ) this plan is for me Part A- I don't mind the 2yr contract because the device is free and I'm on a budget. I barely use 2gbs in a month and I get a great signal with this carrier.

Part B- I don't want to be locked down for 2yrs.I am willing to pay 70 bucks. I barely use 2gbs in a month and I get a great signal with this carrier.