contact / address books

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
I'e noticed my tablet did not come with any address book app.

What is out there and what is good.
I'd llove for something to integrate into google somehow.

I don't want to add a bunch of data in and find out a week later they stopped making that app. (Been doing that sort of stuff on PC's since 1983, and I've had enough of that stuff!).

Thanks!

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
I'm not rooted.
I dont know that much about the android OS yet, I'm not sure what the implications of that would be.

Coming from the IT world, if I gave myself root access, I could wipe the whole thing out.

Not an accident I want to happen with this thing, I dont know how to put it back together!

Or perhaps I'm being too cautious....

kentybishop

Mar 4, 2012
this is necessary way to set up the exchange server after installing contacts_2.2 works on my andr 2.3 tablet

I'm so sorry for taking so long to reply. I'm deploying on Tuesday so I've been unwantingly busy. This afternoon I took the time to sit down and, ironically enough, Google the hell out of Google for their bloody support number. Sure enough, they don't like to advertise it (went to a good 200 pages in their support section before I finally found it). Then they put me on hold 3 or 4 times while I was tranferred to the Android department, the Applications department, the Accounts department, and finally the "general" helpdesk.

--- 3 hrs. later ---

They e-mailed me a link to a support page: Setup Instructions : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

What do you know, it actually worked.

Simply put, if you ever get the issue in Accounts & Sync for a gMail account where it prompts you for the Domain\Username, Password, and Server, here's what you enter:
Domain\Username: \(user)@gmail.com
Password: (password)
Server: m.google.com

Notice how Google is underlined, it's because it's NOT gmail.com, android.com, googlemail.com, and any other Google owned domain like I had tried via other help pages.

I hope this helps others not to feel as stupid as I do now that I realize how close I was to the answer and how obvious it should have been.

djsuson

Aug 23, 2012
This appears to be the right forum for my question. I am looking for a simple address book app for my Asus tablet. I'm not wanting to synchronize my contacts, nor do I want a business oriented manager. I'm looking for something to replace my old paper and pen address book, where I keep the information on my kids, family, and friends. As such, I want something that will store multiple addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses for each entry. The contact manager on my phone is fairly close to what I want, but there doesn't seem to be a similar beast available for the tablet. I looked at google people, but it grabbed all of my contacts from skype, facebook, etc - most of whom I don't want in my address book. Any suggestions?