[SOLVED] Contacts disappear - some of them

hilltowngirl

Oct 29, 2014
The contacts A through F at the top of my email "contacts to display" list have disappeared.
They are still available by going to Email or Gmail outbox for sending a new account and typing in the beginning of the contact name.
Could some kind person explain where have they are located and how can they be brought back into "contacts to display'?
(Using Asus Memo Pad 8)

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum
Go to the app manager in settings. Scroll to all and find Contact Storage. Clear the cache and data then force stop and restart your Memo. It nay take a few minutes to sync again but it should solve the problem. I assume when you log into G-Mail on the WEB that they are all there?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi hilltowngirl, congratulations on your new Asus Memo Pad 8 and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets.

hilltowngirl

Oct 29, 2014
Welcome to the forum
Go to the app manager in settings. Scroll to all and find Contact Storage. Clear the cache and data then force stop and restart your Memo. It nay take a few minutes to sync again but it should solve the problem. I assume when you log into G-Mail on the WEB that they are all there?

Thanks,leeshor. I found Contact Storage in Settings>Device>Storage>Apps (but really Apps info)>Contact Storage. It shows Data: 1.12MB and cache12KB. I fear that if I complete your instruction all the contacts will be wiped out, since they must be in that Data.
I don't know how to log into G-Mail on the WEB. The contacts were entered into Email, not Gmail but apparently Gmail can read them.
Isn't there a way to get the missing contacts out of that data storage and list them back under Contacts?
I have to confess that my wife is "hilltowngirl" and I am posting on her behalf. She finds the Memo pad confusing. I can get around linux systems pretty well but with all the Google this and Google that I seem to be swimming in the wrong ocean. Thanks for your help and please excuse my silly questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I think we have a problem here. The contacts in the contact app are supposed to sync with G-Mail. You needed a G-Mail account to start using the tablet with any apps, and that account is the one that should be syncing.

Under normal/standard setup conditions it's easier to manage the contacts on the WEB site. If you then clear the cache and data it syncs back to the tablet. Based on what you explained, if that's the case, I don't have any idea what to tell you to correct the problem. If the mail you are using is the G-Mail app those addresses will sync too.

hilltowngirl

Oct 29, 2014
Found password and got onto Gmail on the WEB, but no contacts were listed there. But after a system update and a lot of clicking in the "contacts to display" area, the missing contacts restored themselves to the list.
It is a bit confusing that Google's gmail howtos don't precisely match the ASUS pad's action points.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Moved to Asus MeMO Pad 8 for better potential response

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Found password and got onto Gmail on the WEB, but no contacts were listed there. But after a system update and a lot of clicking in the "contacts to display" area, the missing contacts restored themselves to the list.
It is a bit confusing that Google's gmail howtos don't precisely match the ASUS pad's action points.
I'm not certain I understand your point. There is no difference in how G-ail interacts with the ASUS pad than with any other Android tablet.