Converting stuff from MAC to ANDROID???

galley.ak

Aug 7, 2011
I went into the local electrical/computer shop today to get a portable DVD player but was convinced by the salesman to buy an Andriod tablet instead!!! He said it would be easy to put my movies (from DVD) onto it plus it would be able to do so much more. I have a MAC OS X (version 10.4.11) and the salesman knew this but he said it wouldn't matter - I just needed to get the right apps etc....

I have been at this for over 7 hours now.... Can someone please tell me with simple step by step directions how to get content from my MAC to my Android Tablet ??? I'm particularly wanting to put DVD's onto the Android. I'm not stupid, I just don't understand all of this computer jargon and until today I had no idea what an app really was! (I am only 26, but I prefer pen and paper!)

If I don't get this worked out in the next 24 hours it would have been a complete waste of time and money because I wanted the DVD player to entertain my daughter on a long flight we are going on the day after next!!!

All help is very much appreciated :)

romagnus

Jun 20, 2011
I too have a mac but i run 10.6. google is your friend here. download the free program called XNJB. at this point plug in your tablet and once it is connected you can transfer files between your mac and tablet. i rip dvds and put them on my tablet via my mac all the time.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You don't transfer DVDs to the tablet like you might when copying to computer.
You Rip the movies off of the DVD and transfer those. Get a good Mac DVD ripper, like romagnus says.

Then, the fastest way to move the movies is via cable or by an add-in MicroSD card. I recommend the latter, with a microSD carrier, or microSD to USB converter to plug into the Mac. That way you can carry lots of movies on lots of MicroSD cards without filling up your tablet.

You could have asked me to borrow the portable CD player. Mine has been sitting unused in the closet for 5 years. :p The sales man did you a favor.

romagnus

Jun 20, 2011
I tried handbrake. Not too happy with it. I use something else, don't remember the name right now. As far as file transfer the one I posted earlier works the best between Mac and android tablets.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
I too have tried HandBrake and not really impressed but I have PC's, not MAC's. The reason I suggested it is because I participate in Boxee Box's forum and HandBrake is #1 with users there.

I personally use MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD and love it. Also Free and there is a MAC Version!

galley.ak

Aug 7, 2011
Thanks for your help everyone.... but I have no idea what is going on!

XNJB will download but won't open. I even found an older version (to match my older computer) and it wouldn't open either :(
HandBreak and MKV are the same, even the older versions :(
Aimersoft doesn't seem to have an older version.
I did download a couple of other programs, however they all only partially worked.
Wondershare DVD ripper has worked the best so far - but it can't compress the file and I can't find another program that is compatable with it :(

Any other suggestions? I don't mind paying for a program as long as it will work.

romagnus

Jun 20, 2011
Thanks for your help everyone.... but I have no idea what is going on!

XNJB will download but won't open. I even found an older version (to match my older computer) and it wouldn't open either :(
HandBreak and MKV are the same, even the older versions :(
Aimersoft doesn't seem to have an older version.
I did download a couple of other programs, however they all only partially worked.
Wondershare DVD ripper has worked the best so far - but it can't compress the file and I can't find another program that is compatable with it :(

Any other suggestions? I don't mind paying for a program as long as it will work.

Yea, you need to update your Mac. I had 10.4 and went to 10.6 and it cost $30. Go to the apple store and buy the snow leopard single install disc for $30 and you will be fine. You are running on a system that it too old is what it sounds like. What type of Mac do you have? Make sure it can handle snow leopard. I have an old mini.

galley.ak

Aug 7, 2011
Thanks romagnus. I had a feeling my computer is the problem. I'm currently just trying to convert another dvd with Wondershare but in a different format to last time. Toast (which I actually have the current version of!!!) has compression capabilities - but I'm a bit confused about the format it needs to be in to do that.....

Another question for you though; once I work all of this stuff out I would like to save the dvds/movies to SD cards of some sort so they are portable but not taking up space on my tablet. I don't have a card reader attached to my desktop computer but can I put them on my tablet some other way (eg:USB, dropbox?) and then save them to SD card from my tablet that has a card reader?

galley.ak

Aug 7, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion Stoneky but I think I have already tried most of those (I'll go back through and check though).

romagnus

Jun 20, 2011
Thanks romagnus. I had a feeling my computer is the problem. I'm currently just trying to convert another dvd with Wondershare but in a different format to last time. Toast (which I actually have the current version of!!!) has compression capabilities - but I'm a bit confused about the format it needs to be in to do that.....

Another question for you though; once I work all of this stuff out I would like to save the dvds/movies to SD cards of some sort so they are portable but not taking up space on my tablet. I don't have a card reader attached to my desktop computer but can I put them on my tablet some other way (eg:USB, dropbox?) and then save them to SD card from my tablet that has a card reader?

After you upgrade, rip your DVD ( I use MacX DVD ripper). install XNJB to do your file transfer via USB (thats what I use). Also do you have a printer that has memory card slots? If so you can access your card through your printer as well. That way you can transfer your movies to the memory card while it is in your printer then pop it into your tablet and you dont have to download XNJB.

galley.ak

Aug 7, 2011
There is a card reader in my printer but I've never used it. I assumed it was just for reading and you wouldn't be able to upload onto it. Thanks :)