Copy from one USB-device to another

Pierewiet

Oct 13, 2012
Hello,

New to Android and new to this forum. I have my TF700 two weeks now and I'm glad I bought it. My target is to copy the content of my Compact Flash cards (16GB) (from my DSLR) to a separate Hard drive. Therefore I tried to connect both a card reader and a portable hard drive via an auto-powered USB-hub to the only usb-connection of my tablet. I even tried with a second and a third hub. The only result was that my tablet only recognized the first device that was connected with the hub and not both at the same time, so copying from the CF-card to the drive isn't possible in one step. Sure I can copy the CF-card to the internal memory of the tablet and in a second pass move it to the HD, but that is very time-consuming.

Anyone who knows how to connect more then one usb-device at the same time and do a file transfer between them? Your help is greatly appriciated.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I think I remember someone being able to do that with a powered hub but I'm not certain. I do know that this issue has been reported before and I;m not aware that there is a known solution.

Pierewiet

Oct 13, 2012
The only solution I found till now is to buy an SD-card to CF-card adapter (I ordered one at Ebay) and put the SD-card(s) in the slot of the Asus-keyboard. Connect one USB-drive and copy from the SD to the drive is possible. But shouldn't there be another solution? Maybe after first rooting the transformer? I don't know much about Android, rooting etc but I'm willing to learn and try out some things.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The only solution I found till now is to buy an SD-card to CF-card adapter (I ordered one at Ebay) and put the SD-card(s) in the slot of the Asus-keyboard. Connect one USB-drive and copy from the SD to the drive is possible. But shouldn't there be another solution? Maybe after first rooting the transformer? I don't know much about Android, rooting etc but I'm willing to learn and try out some things.

I don't think rooting will help. You may want to look at a different way of doing what you need, possibly by using a share on your network.

TheMarkster

Dec 12, 2012
That seems like a good solution to me (the cf to sd adapter). I've seen somewhere that sometimes a cold boot will help the tablet in working with usb devices. I have my doubts on this, but it might be worth a shot. To do a cold boot you disconnect the power cable and turn the unit off. Press and hold the Volume Down button first and while still holding it down hold down the Power button for at least 10 seconds or so after the startup screen appears. With Jelly Bean you should see 2 to 4 icons appear, depending on your version of android, including a green flashing RCK. Just wait a few more seconds and you will see "cold booting linux" message appear. Let the device boot itself without touching anything. Do this with the dock, hub, and usb storage devices attached. The cold boot will not affect any of your data.