Copying big mkv file from USB stick with ES File Explorer - help

Zhopa

Sep 26, 2011
Hi everybody!

I'm at the beginning of the long road to become tablet guru :)

I'm trying to copy mkv movie file about 8 GB from USB stick in NTFS format onto tablet with ES File Manager. It starts but then just hangs up and says something like "operation failed"...

Any idea how can I do it? I tried to watch movie from the stick but it's 720p and I get only 10-12 fps...

Thanks in advance, eh :)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
8Gig for a movie?
I think you need to re-encode that to something smaller. A typical hour show encoded from a DVD is around 500meg.
8Gig is full size dual layer DVD encoding.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Download on your PC Free Video to Android Converter

Supported OS:

Windows XP/Vista/7
Description
Convert video files to MP4 format (MPEG4, AAC) compatible with your Android OS device. You can save videos in high, standard and economy quality.

Free Video to Android Converter supports such popular Android OS devices as Acer AOD250, Acer Aspire One, Acer beTouch, Acer Liquid, Acer Liquid E, Acer Liquid Ferrari, Acer Stream, Altek Leo, Garmin Asus A10, Google Nexus One, HTC Desire, HTC Dream, HTC Hero, HTC Legend, HTC Nexus One, HTC Tattoo, HTC Wildfire, Motorola Backflip, Motorola Cliq, Motorola Devour, Motorola Droid, Motorola FlipOut, Motorola i1, Motorola MileStone, Samsung Behold II, Samsung Galaxy, Samsung Moment, Sony Xperia X10 mini, etc.

Input file formats: *.avi; *.ivf; *.div; *.divx; *.mpg; *.mpeg; *.mpe; *.mp4; *.m4v; *.webm; *.wmv; *.asf; *.mov; *.qt; *.mts; *.m2t; *.m2ts; *.mod; *.tod; *.vro; *.dat; *.3gp2; *.3gpp; *.3gp; *.3g2; *.dvr-ms; *.flv; *.f4v; *.amv; *.rm; *.rmm; *.rv; *.rmvb; *.ogv; *.mkv; *.ts.

Free Video to Android Converter contains no spyware or adware. It's clearly free and absolutely safe to install and run.

It supports the a500

Zhopa

Sep 26, 2011
well, when you have bd-rip, it comes to 8 to 12 GB, eh :)

8Gig for a movie?
I think you need to re-encode that to something smaller. A typical hour show encoded from a DVD is around 500meg.
8Gig is full size dual layer DVD encoding.

Zhopa

Sep 26, 2011
Still need help ... :(
Tried to copy file from USB stick to internal memory - didn't work...
Tried to copy file from USB stick to external SD card - didn't work...
Tried to copy file over Wi-Fi from PC to external SD card - didn't work...

Using ES File explorer on Iconia A500 with honeycomb 3.2. File is about 2 GB (convertecd movie)

Wold appreciare any help...

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Still need help ... :(
Tried to copy file from USB stick to internal memory - didn't work...
Tried to copy file from USB stick to external SD card - didn't work...
Tried to copy file over Wi-Fi from PC to external SD card - didn't work...

Using ES File explorer on Iconia A500 with honeycomb 3.2. File is about 2 GB (convertecd movie)

Wold appreciare any help...

You didn't what OS you're copying from. However I had a similar problem with XP. As far as I've been able to find out the problem exists when copying large files and has something to do with the format of the device you're copying from and the format of the device you're copying to and the permissions of those devices. Icebike may corect me on this but the only way I could get it to work was to have the same format on both devices. The problem existed for me on XP and when the file was larger than 4GB. Another consideration is that the file you're trying to copying may have some corrupted data in it and the copy function is detecting it and stopping the file transfer.

A little more info could be handy.

Zhopa

Sep 26, 2011
Thanks for reply!

Sorry I didn't specify:
I have stock HC 3.2
thried formatting USB stick with NTFS and FAT32 - same results
my PC is XP with NTFS
file is the movie (shrinked with Handbrake) and it's 2 GB
using FS File Explorer

The strange part is: I tried HD File manager and it copied my file from USB stick to extSD in a minute...

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
So far I haven't had a problem. I use FILE EXPERT. With XP I've had that problem. Also had the problem where the USB CADDY was faulty. I use to buy empty USB CADDY cases and put my own HDD into the case. Some caddies would fail on large files as well. There are a large portion of the USB sticks that are no good when it comes to large files. And I had 5 cases where the SDCARD have a fault in them and cause file corruption. Just yesterday I was talking to an IT guy at a customer of mine and he mentioned that the same problem can happen with SSDs.

Also with USB CADDIES I found some of them very unreliable. The above problem would happen with a lot of CADDIES that used the IDE/PATA drives - haven't been able to test SATA drive types yet. I had one USB SATA CADDY totally fail. Whether it is the case or the drive I'm not sure at this stage.

With MICRO SD make sure you get a good quality card. Same with USB stickes. Some of them may give you mixed results.:confused:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
microSD cards are usually formatted in FAT32 so they can be read in most devices, like tablets, but they don't support files bigger than 4GB. So if you are copying your video to the microSD and it is formatted in FAT32 it won't work if the file is bigger than 4GB. You must re-encode it making sure it is smaller than 4GB.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
microSD cards are usually formatted in FAT32 so they can be read in most devices, like tablets, but they don't support files bigger than 4GB. So if you are copying your video to the microSD and it is formatted in FAT32 it won't work if the file is bigger than 4GB. You must re-encode it making sure it is smaller than 4GB.

Ifom,

You are right with that as well. I did mention in one of my earlier posts that could be an issue. However he has converted it to 2GB with the same result. This led me to my previous post. These are problems I've had even on XP.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Since EVERY single attempt to copy files with ES File Explorer fails, I suggest the OP may be using the
wrong technique or doesn't under stand how it works.

Maybe practice with something small.
Long press the file
select copy
navigate to the target directory
menu (bottom)
find paste option
wait
done.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
That is something I hadn't considered Ice. But he also says that if fails when trying to copy from his computer using the XP OS on to the SDCARD.

bananapeal

Jan 4, 2012
howdy folks

hope you dont mind that im jumping on a old post but i have this problem alos when using es file explorer. icebike, i use technique to copy files as described, and ive noticed its crazy slow over network (win taskman showed 0.65% of network util) so i tried using fat32 usb stick to move a 1.4gb mkv file. it still seemed slow but i alos noticed system slowdown during transfer and the progress bar didnt update. i noticed in sys settings that space was getting taken up' but just when it seemed almost done, it slowed again and file never appeared in destination folder. when 'done', sys settings showed no space used up on sd as compared to before . es had file in clipboard but not destination.

es seems buggy perhaps. i have a500 3.1 stock 4.01.13

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
howdy folks

hope you dont mind that im jumping on a old post but i have this problem alos when using es file explorer. icebike, i use technique to copy files as described, and ive noticed its crazy slow over network (win taskman showed 0.65% of network util) so i tried using fat32 usb stick to move a 1.4gb mkv file. it still seemed slow but i alos noticed system slowdown during transfer and the progress bar didnt update. i noticed in sys settings that space was getting taken up' but just when it seemed almost done, it slowed again and file never appeared in destination folder. when 'done', sys settings showed no space used up on sd as compared to before . es had file in clipboard but not destination.

es seems buggy perhaps. i have a500 3.1 stock 4.01.13

I think you mau have to update your system. The current HC version is 3.2.1 and the build number should be 7.0.14.03 or something around that. Your's is to old. This may be causing your issue.