Copying movies to the SD card on VTAB

troyg3

Apr 8, 2012
I installed a 32gb SD card that was described as a class 10. When I try to copy movies to it, either they won't play at all or I get video but no sound. I can put one of the same movies on the internal storage and it plays fine, so the video file is not the problem. I was also able to copy some music to the card and it also seems to play fine. I am wondering if it is the card that is not able to handle the video files for some reason or what the issue could be. Another strange thing is that after I had trouble with a couple of the video files and deleted them, it still shows that memory as being used. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Have you rebooted sense you deleted the movies?

Sent from my Vizio Tab/ Universal Remote

troyg3

Apr 8, 2012
Have you rebooted sense you deleted the movies?

Sent from my Vizio Tab/ Universal Remote

Yep, rebooted several times. It also shows the memory being used when connected to my PC and I check the SD card there.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The video player you are using may not be reading the card right. Try a different video player and see if it works better. Maybe the video player itself is bad and you need to uninstall and reinstall that player. Assuming you aren't using the stock player but if you are try suggestion 1 of another player.

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
I found MXPlayer works for most movies, after download of the arm7 codec. When I loaded movies onto my 32gig SD, the stock player would not discover them in their folder. In MXplayer you can choose which folders to monitor. Once I added location to MXplayer it also discovered them in the stock player.

troyg3

Apr 8, 2012
I found MXPlayer works for most movies, after download of the arm7 codec. When I loaded movies onto my 32gig SD, the stock player would not discover them in their folder. In MXplayer you can choose which folders to monitor. Once I added location to MXplayer it also discovered them in the stock player.
I will check out that player, thanks. What is the arm7 codec and where do you get it? also what are you using to convert your movies and what file type are you converting to? Thanks!

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
ARMv7 is the codec that MXplayer downloads. When you first launch MXplayer it will analyze your system and determine which codec you need and take you to the market page to download it. For the Vtab it seems to be the ARMv7. Youtube .FLV, .mp4, and mpg/mpeg are all that I have tested so far that work. WMV might work also, not sure if I have tried them or not.

troyg3

Apr 8, 2012
ARMv7 is the codec that MXplayer downloads. When you first launch MXplayer it will analyze your system and determine which codec you need and take you to the market page to download it. For the Vtab it seems to be the ARMv7. Youtube .FLV, .mp4, and mpg/mpeg are all that I have tested so far that work. WMV might work also, not sure if I have tried them or not.

Turns out it was just a bad SD card. Bought a new one, mounted it and all of my movies copied fine.

Philtablet

Jan 13, 2012
I used to just turn off my Vizio (post HC update) and change the SD card. However I found in the settings section and go to storage and click unmount storage card now. When it says ok I turn off the Vizio and pull out the SD card put in another.

Failure to unmount a SD card will result in false sensing of Gallery data. The stuff appearing will not click open. Furthermore you will not get a sample view in picture or video categories.