Costco Gingerbread VTAB's

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Just got back from Costco, they had an entire skid of gingerbread VTAB's. Brand new, $189. Looks lik Vizio is clearing out the stock before introducing the 10" tablet. Samsung 10" was $349.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Kemper said:
Just got back from Costco, they had an entire skid of gingerbread VTAB's. Brand new, $189.

The ones I saw there were build number 1.9.57. Do you know if that can be rooted?

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I have no clue, but the one I looked had android 2.3 if I remember correctly. It was gingerbread, the old buttons on the bottom worked.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Rooting requires the software to be VIA 1.4, Build number 1.9.56.

If you have VIA 1.5, Build number 1.9.57 you still have Gingerbread but the blocked from rooting version.

JP

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Kemper said:
. . . the one I looked had android 2.3 if I remember correctly.

Probably 2.3.2 GRH78C. No biggie as long as I can keep it GB.

It looks like I'm going to get a third case number for my HC VTAB because the WiFi will not stay connected despite how the "WiFi disconnect policy" is set up. I've seen another poster here post about the exact same problem so it looks like that is something else that should be addressed in an update for the HC update.

BTW I figured if I can't use my HC VTAB for things I used to use it for I'd turn it into a web server but I might be out of luck there too. FYI I already have an IP address for it, a router that will let me assign any port to port 80 (http port) and a domain name so I'll be a little upset if that will not work either.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Probably 2.3.2 GRH78C. No biggie as long as I can keep it GB.

It looks like I'm going to get a third case number for my HC VTAB because the WiFi will not stay connected despite how the "WiFi disconnect policy" is set up. I've seen another poster here post about the exact same problem so it looks like that is something else that should be addressed in an update for the HC update.

BTW I figured if I can't use my HC VTAB for things I used to use it for I'd turn it into a web server but I might be out of luck there too. FYI I already have an IP address for it, a router that will let me assign any port to port 80 (http port) and a domain name so I'll be a little upset if that will not work either.

Honestly this sounds like a huge waste of a pretty good tablet. Obviously it is your choice what to do with it and you aren't currently happy with several things about it but even if you can make it a server wouldn't it just be better to put it on ebay or Craig's List and let somebody who doesn't mind the issues have it as a tablet? It just seems a shame to turn it into a (more than likely) poor server.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
J515OP said:

Thanks for the info and it could have been a lot worse because it could have been HC.

FYI the floor demo had .56 and it was missing a lot of things the version right before HC had.

BTW if I can get screen captures to work like they do on the HC VTAB and some way to record the screen that will be good enough for me because I'll still be able to use it like I used to use my first VTAB.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
FYI the floor demo had .56 and it was missing a lot of things the version right before HC had.

What features are missing from VIA 1.4 that were in 1.5? My understanding is the only change made was to break and prevent root.

BTW if I can get screen captures to work like they do on the HC VTAB and some way to record the screen that will be good enough for me because I'll still be able to use it like I used to use my first VTAB.

How were you doing it previously? That you want tested on VIA 1.4?

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
J515OP said:
It just seems a shame to turn it into a (more than likely) poor server.

While I do not expect it to replace my current web server it will certainly be interesting to see how well it does. BTW my current server is an old laptap and I chose it because it was the quietest computer I had.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
While I do not expect it to replace my current web server it will certainly be interesting to see how well it does. BTW my current server is an old laptap and I chose it because it was the quietest computer I had.

Ah, I see. As an experiment that makes sense. Yes, old pcs make good servers. It was wise to choose the quietest one :)

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012

If you have VIA 1.5, Build number 1.9.57 you still have Gingerbread but the blocked from rooting version.

JP

I looked at the Woot GB I bought, it is VIA Plus 1.4, BUT has build 1.9.57. Andriod version 2.3.2 GRH 78C. So it won't root?

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I wish the hell I knew how to make an old laptop a server, I have about 10.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
J515OP said:
What features are missing from VIA 1.4 that were in 1.5? My understanding is the only change made was to break and prevent root.

Wait a second. .57 is "V.I.A. Plus 1.4" not version 1.5.

Under Settings->Applications there were only two options but that might have been changed just for the floor model too.

As for the screen captures: The application called "screenshot" works great on the HC VTAB and I expect it to work on the GB VTAB too.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I looked at the Woot GB I bought, it is VIA Plus 1.4, BUT has build 1.9.57. Andriod version 2.3.2 GRH 78C. So it won't root?

That is a good question and why I included both the Vizio software version and the build number. It appears there may be an over lap there but I am not sure how it works. I don't think there was a specific update to the build unless that came before the 1.5 update. In that case once Vizio made the 1.5 update available they removed the option of having an update just for build .56. I believe if you dig through some of the older threads you might find more info on this, I just can't recall the specifics.

In any case it seems like this might also be due to the fact that these are refurbs. It is possible they have updated the build but not the VIA version. From what I do recall the build isn't important for rooting. It is the VIA software version that matters.

Last edited:

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Still don't get why I would want to Root this thing, I'm happy with to HC on the VTAB! Pls 'splain why I would want to root...

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet