Costco Gingerbread VTAB's

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I was pretty sure TB would require root to freeze the update but I couldn't remember that to be the case 100%. Now we know it is needed, which is why I said how to freeze is going to be the issue. There are other TB like apps but it is possible those could have other adverse issues like bricking. It is possible they will work just fine but there was at least one mention here of an app besides TB that was used to freeze causing the tablet to not work. Maybe it had nothing to do with that app freezing the updater but it is something to consider.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
J515OP said:
Maybe it had nothing to do with that app freezing the updater but it is something to consider.

Note on .57 you can force stop the updater but that only gives you about 15 seconds before that Vizio Virus acts up again.

I am through trying this and trying that. Vizio owns my tablet and if they want that Adobe flash Player to screw up on their HC VTAB then they get what they want.

Last edited:

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
You all are mighty picky. Just push the damn update later button every time and stop *****ing. GB is so fast, and stable, I really can not figure out the HC thing, except for putting stuff on the SD and waiting 10 minutes for it to load. No thanks.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Kemper said:
Just push the damn update later button every time

GB is so fast, and stable, I really can not figure out the HC thing, except for putting stuff on the SD and waiting 10 minutes for it to load. No thanks.

1. I screwed up one VTAB by updating it to HC and I am so afraid of that screen I always use the home button to get away from it now.

2. About the only advantage I've seen with HC is it sees bluetooth keyboards. But the only reason I need a bt keyboard is for the home, back and menu keys after I remove them from the screen.

BTW After I get some more documentation together and get my web site up and running I'm going to try and send my HC VTAB in for a replacement.

Last edited:

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
DCRocks said:
Just drop a couple $$$, buy TB, freeze the process, issue solved.

Considering I can do screen captures without a rooted VTAB maybe that will help. I try that since it could be worth it.

Sent from my HC VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
Hi all,

vtab/driod n00b here (IT pro tho'...). Just picked up a vtab @ Costco. Did some research yesterday and while the build on the display model (Cypress, CA store) is .56, mine powered up @ .57 so I guess I'm SOL for rooting. I have about 85 days to figure out if this thing is worth $190+tax for me....or try to exchange for another in hopes for a .56 to root. Guess I'll try it out as is for a bit then let it update to Honeycomb (or do I even have a choice??).

What does this thing do best? Any must-have app? If I buy an app then take the vtab back to CostCo, do I have to re-buy the app if I want it again on another device? If this isn't the right place for these Q's, please refer me to where that might be. Lots more Q's.....

TIA

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Stringrazor, good questions. Doesn't sound like you can root but you can give it a try if you want. If you buy any apps they are device independent so if you take back the tablet or get any future Android devices any app you bought previously stays in your account and you can add it to any future device with no additional charge. So you never lose anything no matter what devices come and go.

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
Here's a Q I haven't hit upon an answer to yet: is the audio jack on the vtab TRS (tip-ring-shield, aka normal stereo) or TRRS (tip-2x/ring-shield, stereo out plus mic in like on a smartphone)? Can it take a headset w/mic or, if wired correctly, any audio signal in?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I haven't used it myself but I believe it is 2x and can take mic in. Bluetooth mic is also an option I believe.

VjohnV

May 11, 2012
Bought the VTab from Costco last week for my wife. Can't beat the price ($189) plus one-year additional warranty coverage + concierge support from Costco. On initial start-up, it updated to HoneyComb 3.2
I also understand through this forum that the VTab has the ability to run some (downloaded) apps from the SD card. Makes the VTab even more of a good thing!

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
How about buying it on-line? Sam's didn't have one in the store, but have them on-line.

Thanks because that is a good idea especially since the first one I bought from Sams had the version of software without Nexflix and that is exactly what I want. I hope they still have one of those.

FYI once you let Vizio start to update your Tablet "Over The Air" you are screwed because their software only gets worse and worse especially if you ever ever go to web sites with embedded youtube videos. More at:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-way-undo-honeycomb-upgrade-2.html#post203266