Counterfiet Flash Memory.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
This is not just limited to Memorette . There has been an issue with Kingston, PNY and other counterfeit RAM and Flash. The counterfeits are usually a deal too good to be believed. There was about six month ago a comparison test of counterfeit versus actual brand. Primary difference was speed. Both were functional and even branded nearly identical. But, the Class 10 was in reality a Class 4 and a Class 4 was closer to a Class 2 performance on R/W. They found some major retailers were accidently selling counterfeit too.
It was assumed these are chip Wafer seconds or discards and then "acquired" and inserted. All you can say is if it is too good to be true, it likely is.

Reni

Jan 9, 2012
I got caught by this on ebay.. the seller was "verysuperseller2011" sold me a supposed 32gb Class 10 Transcend SDHC memory card. It turned out to be a reformatted 4gb class 2 or 4 made to appear as 32gb. (used "h2testw.exe" to test it because the packaging and label was a bit suspect.)

I got my money back, and haven't had to return the card, which tells me ebay are well aware of the problem but don't take any proactive action.

Incidentally, if anyone knows how to re-reformat the card back to a 4gb, I could use it in my camera instead of the camcorder I got it for! (waste not want not...)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Incidentally, if anyone knows how to re-reformat the card back to a 4gb, I could use it in my camera instead of the camcorder I got it for! (waste not want not...)

You could try putting it into your camcorder. Sometimes a camera, camcorder, tablet has an option for formatting your card. If that doesn't work, Partition Master might be able to fix it. Free Partition Magic alternative. Best Free Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 32 bit & 64 bit - EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition. Thanks for the link to h2testw.