Cowon Android mp3 player

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Cowan, Archos and IRiver used to be the true deluxe alternative brands to IPods. They offered superior sound quality and capabilities even the IPod did not have. .ogg, MP3+,etc. I evaluated a Cowan unit about 5 years ago. It was a tossup between Cowan and Archos. I ended up with Archos only because of price. I have no idea about current quality, but it used to be top notch. But as you said, not a well known brand outside of some countries.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Which Archos did you go with? I also looked at them, but they didn't have Market access. Granted, neither does this Cowon. My minimum "requirements" are 16 to 32GB internal + SD slot (I've got alot of stuff and growing) and touch screen. It's hard to find one that has no wifi. I figure if I'm going wifi, I might as well get the whole Android experience. The lack of Market seems to diminish that. I tried side loaded a newer version of the Market on my A500 (before it came with an update) with not so pleasing results (a bunch of my apps kept force closing until I uninstalled it). I not sure how the Cowon would handle a side loaded Market.
There's a non-wifi Cowon that looks pretty good too, but they both have bad reivews that scare me.

Thanks for the input.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have the
Archos 5 (actually 2 (500gb/8gb) Down side Old Android 1.6 and 256Mb RAM. Upside: 500Gb has my entire Music library and lotsa movies too, GPS, MicroSD, Market added using Arctools app and does nice things like mixer and balance. Partial downside: Battery life is about 5 hours movies/12 hours music. Decent WLAN (No longer made, but available via the 'Bay so you would be buying used

Archos 101/16 Gen8/Froyo - Market Add on, But not pocketable. BUT is almost as light as the Archos 5/8Gb. Downside: only 256Mb and screen could be brighter.

If given the choice, I would choose the Samsung if only for a Media player as they are more available for purchase. Otherwise, I would seriously consider a better smartphone with no SIM and just use the WLAN for connectivity. This is considered - Bad bad I tells ya, but know someone who picked up a DroidX and uses it as an IPod touch alternative.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
I thought about a phone, but they're way out my price range. The Samsung is sweet, but only has 5GB(5.0) & 5.5GB(4.0) available. Even with a 32GB card, that leaves little to no room to play with the all the capabilities.
If I knew it would read a 64 or root it with something that would read a 64, I'd buy the Samsung in a heartbeat.

Definitely food for thought.
Thanks.