Craig CMP 738a Information

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Be very careful opening the case. I too have a Dremel tool. I going to change out the battery I have a spare one from old ePad that doesn't work.

Marty Devoid

Jan 19, 2011
Oh well. My Craig is dead at the moment.
After a couple of full charges, I plugged it in to recharge.
The tab doesn't acknowledge that I plugged in the adapter. No red charge light. The drain continued.
I restarted it many times, fiddling-around with the adapter and plug, still no charge.
The easiest thing to do was try another adapter (I've got a universal) to see if that was the problem. Still not charging.
Does anyone have a solution or suggestion? I'm fearing the worst in hopes of an easier solution.
After flashing this over to the 4.2 release, is it even returnable?
It's a shame, because it was running like a champ until this happened.
Thanks in advance.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
You have 90 days take it back to CVS and get another and get another 90 days. I would take it back get your money and $22 bucks in Gift Card if you use the coupon. Then go to a different CVS or wait for the current shift crew to change and walk in and buy another one. Well it's dead right so how are they going to know. If wasn't dead I would do a factory reset and then that cab screen appears. I've returned one and all they did was check to see if the tablet was in the box. CVS is a Drug store not like going into Best Buy and they call out Tom who's the Electronic Guy to check out the device.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Sounds like another quality soldering job.. If you know how to solder, you could open it and try to repair the charger connection. Otherwise, take it back like tipstir suggested.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Marty Devoid

Jan 19, 2011
I do have experience with electronics and soldering. My only fear is if I do open that case, then I'm really stuck with it... working or not.
I'll look into doing a return or an even swap tomorrow.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Oh well. My Craig is dead at the moment.
After a couple of full charges, I plugged it in to recharge.
The tab doesn't acknowledge that I plugged in the adapter. No red charge light. The drain continued.
I restarted it many times, fiddling-around with the adapter and plug, still no charge.
The easiest thing to do was try another adapter (I've got a universal) to see if that was the problem. Still not charging.
Does anyone have a solution or suggestion? I'm fearing the worst in hopes of an easier solution.
After flashing this over to the 4.2 release, is it even returnable?
It's a shame, because it was running like a champ until this happened.
Thanks in advance.

Unless you really want to tinker with the hardware, just take it back to CVS and exchange for another if you still want a $100 Android tablet this size - about the best deal going at the low end (when they are working of course). As tipstir noted, they cannot check for the image update you did if it cannot be powered on.

However, I suppose the only issue might be if you have "sensitive" info on the internal storage that a factory tech might find upon refurbishing - at least change the password you use for any Gmail account you associated with the tablet (if you did so).

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
You can clearly see the panel defective. Thin lines around the edges.

. . .
For the record, here is my followup on my observations that you quoted (from MobileRead Craig forum):
I do have to revise my observations a bit - had a chance today to look at it closely in full sunlight. The edge gap of the top layer looks even all the way around, so that in itself does not seem to indicate a general shifted placement of the screen. But a shift still seems likely to be the case if that layer was put on after that point. I don't know how else that obvious left edge text cutoff would be explained on a number of different units bought from widely scattered CVS stores (mine was purchased in Durham, NC) aside from a manufacturing defect that positions them that way (plastic molding process just a bit off?). We need to look at some other app displays where we can see that kind of detail - would need some obvious differentiated parts of that edge of the app's display, and see if they "appear" as the tablet is rotated to move that edge view around to other sides of the screen.
From the MobileRead forum for the Craig:
MobileRead Forums - View Single Post - Just Bought the CRAIG Android 7" Tablet from CVS

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
For the record, here is my followup on my observations that you quoted (from MobileRead Craig forum):
I do have to revise my observations a bit - had a chance today to look at it closely in full sunlight. The edge gap of the top layer looks even all the way around, so that in itself does not seem to indicate a general shifted placement of the screen. But a shift still seems likely to be the case if that layer was put on after that point. I don't know how else that obvious left edge text cutoff would be explained on a number of different units bought from widely scattered CVS stores (mine was purchased in Durham, NC) aside from a manufacturing defect that positions them that way (plastic molding process just a bit off?). We need to look at some other app displays where we can see that kind of detail - would need some obvious differentiated parts of that edge of the app's display, and see if they "appear" as the tablet is rotated to move that edge view around to other sides of the screen.
From the MobileRead forum for the Craig:
MobileRead Forums - View Single Post - Just Bought the CRAIG Android 7" Tablet from CVS

It's only an issue in terminal mode or when you do a system recovery. Poor quality inspection just let it get pass. Several states have this issue. I am sure more have the issue but haven't notice it yet. Owning two Craig's have the same issue. Purchased one in my state and the other one was picked up in another state. The panel is easy to scratch also so whatever that is covering the panel it could be a problem long term. Again since most of use only had 1 to 2 weeks really can't tell yet. I use my car lens cleaner on the tablet remove some scratches on the glossy black case mole. Do you have hair line scratch near the off button on top? My second one as the same scratch in the same place of my second one.

Also no matter how you turn it around the layer can be seen.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I might take mine back and get it a new one for $52 since a 25% coupon as now appeared good until 3/26/11. Or just buy another one too see if it has the same issue. If it doesn't I'll take back the second one at another CVS store and keep the third one.

First place: A7
Second place: 7015
Third place: CMP738a

Coby is still better as the panel is 1080p, metal case, the craig is quicker but doesn't handle 3D GPL as well as the Coby in my test. I can over-clock the Craig to 1,667 score The Coby only 857 in score. The Craig battery can last longer just have to tweak it or reduce the backlight level. These tablets are set way to high you can shine them like a lantern at night. Why use a flashlight when you got the tablet around. I can work on my car engine with my tablet by my side! :)

Last edited:

Marty Devoid

Jan 19, 2011
Good luck!

Managed to exchange it at the CVS no questions asked. The clerk didn't even open the box to see if everything was there.
Got it home and flashed it using the 4.3 build and installed the recommended apps.
It's VERY stable and seems to be running much faster, smoother, and cooler than the tab I turned in.
The last tab tended to heat up a tad too much for my liking, this unit stays cool.
Thanks again for all the help fellers!

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Good they never open it just open the flap to make sure it was in there. I might go ad get another one for $77 bucks with the 25% off coupon I have. I should really take back the prior and then get a new one for $52 bucks saving $20 bucks. How's your screen do you see any defects on it? CVS gives you 90 days to return it back to the store if you want. Better than anyone else. Bet to take it back in the night than in the day.

Marty Devoid

Jan 19, 2011
The screen and housing look much better than the last one. This one looks new after a quick wipe with a cloth, the old tab always looked kinda scratchy and smudgey.
Like I mentioned, the battery usage and performance is much better on this new tab. Runs much cooler too.
I'm crossing my fingers it stays that way until the smokin' 10 inch tabs come out in a couple months.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Looks interesting.. You can change the background with the tweak package I offer or you use ES File Manager.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
It's only an issue in terminal mode or when you do a system recovery. Poor quality inspection just let it get pass. Several states have this issue. I am sure more have the issue but haven't notice it yet. Owning two Craig's have the same issue. Purchased one in my state and the other one was picked up in another state. The panel is easy to scratch also so whatever that is covering the panel it could be a problem long term. Again since most of use only had 1 to 2 weeks really can't tell yet. I use my car lens cleaner on the tablet remove some scratches on the glossy black case mole. Do you have hair line scratch near the off button on top? My second one as the same scratch in the same place of my second one.

Also no matter how you turn it around the layer can be seen.
As I wrote: "[t]he edge gap of the top layer looks even all the way around" - I am thinking it is simply an anti-glare coating, and it is just a shade smaller than the screen surface, hence the gap (and applied on-center it seems - unrelated to the displayed characters offset issue I am guessing now).

The hairline "scratch" you mention looks to me like the edge (at both ends) of a buttons labeling decal that is stuck on top of the housing there, so nothing wrong (just a bit of "tacky" appearance ;) ).

HTH

Last edited: