Craig CMP 738a Information

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
As I wrote: "[t]he edge gap of the top layer looks even all the way around" - I am thinking it is simply an anti-glare coating, and it is just a shade smaller than the screen surface, hence the gap (and applied on-center it seems - unrelated to the displayed characters offset issue I am guessing now).

The hairline "scratch" you mention looks to me like the edge (at both ends) of a buttons labeling decal that is stuck on top of the housing there, so nothing wrong (just a bit of "tacky" appearance ;) ).

HTH

Craig Electronics got back to me and told me it was hardware issue to exchange it since the warranty is only 90 days. CVS gives you 90 days. Mine going back. 2x and they still have the issue. Craig is out with Android OS 2.2 with Flash, but again they told me there was plans on upgrading them but no set date on when that upgrade will come. Even just saying that to me in email looks like they don't care too much to implement that action. CVS should sell all these defective Panel hardware for $25 bucks. I doubt they'll send them back to Craig and just resell it has clearance item.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Went back to CVS and returned mine, then they sold it back to me with the 25% coupon as well as another tablet. They actually gave me $54 off instead of $50. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the 2nd one. They had a bunch, maybe 10.

Coupon

screenshot_1.png.jpg

Was both boxes sealed.. Did you say you bought back your other tablet? They can put these items on clearance after you return it. Mine goes back today. As Craig said take it back with the hardware issue in the panel.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
You can say that's your Nick name. Everyone calls you Nick! They just want in out they don't care.. It's best to go after 9pm or near 10pm on CVS that doesn't do 24HRS as they want to go home. They don't want do deal with complex issues like returning a Tablet.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Don't log into Youtube. Clear data and keep it that way. That might be a workaround...

Rohn123

Mar 19, 2011
Hi:

The Skyfire does play the flash. I have 2.1 and downloads the older version because when I go to the market it says I do not have a phone associated with the account. Any idea how i can get the latest. I notice sound will drop out on the older version of Skyfire.
Your suggestion of Skywire is awesome! Thanks

Rohn

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Oh my two dogs are large GS and CL. CL always knocks them over. But from my experience with 17 tablets they can only be dropped so many times until the inner glass-layer (ts) will crack or break. (no this has nothing to do with my panel issue)

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Finally gave up on AIM and got Meebo. Works much better! Also, if I log off Youtube before I close it, it won't crash when I open it again. It still saves login name and password.

BTW, this thing makes a very nice bedside/desk clock/alarm clock if you can find a way to stand it up. Hit Power once and then Menu. Make sure you have it set to Settings/Applications/Development/Stay awake. The volume control will work in case you want to fall asleep to a podcast. You can set the volume buttons to work as snooze or dismiss buttons.

Check crafts stores like Michael's or AC Moore for plate easels. You can get them for about $3 and up, and they support tablets very nicely.

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
Thanks for the tips!

I found a $3 easel in the "arts and crafts" section of a Wal-mart. They had wooden ones and metal ones. I went with wood, because it was cheaper. (Wish more of these cheaper tablets would have the built-in tilt stand. One of few I've seen with one is the Wits 81E/G.)

And here's another tip that I read somewhere - When you go to Walmart, check out the ~$14-$15 neoprene sleeve for a 7" eReader. Excellent quality, fits the Craig perfectly and I think it also works well for a Nook Color (if you decide to upgrade later on). The store where I bought mine didn't have it displayed in the "notebook bag" area, but I found it a locked display case, near the cell phones,right by the B&N Nook display.

Last edited:

Ding Berry

Apr 7, 2011
Log off Youtube before you close it. Then it won't crash when you open it again. Don't bother with AIM. Meebo works much better. At first I thought ButtonRemapper didn't work (it killed my wifi) but rebooting fixed it (set to NOT do a hot reboot). I made the Menu key do Back (#59).

Anyway, none of this may matter when 2.2 comes out.

BlueDude

Apr 14, 2011
Craig posted the Official Android 2.2 (Froyo) Update Rom.

1. Downloaded the Update file. Unzipped file to find "update.img" file.
2. Removed the MicroSD card from the Craig.
3. Copied the Android 2.2 "update.img" file on to my SD card
4. then inserted the MicroSD into the Craig CMP738a. (Update Starts) (10 minutes)
In 10 minutes I was up and going.
Runs pretty fast. WiFi runs good too.
Now, the only thing I need is an easy way to install the Android Market.

craigelectronics DOT COM/site/pdetails.php?id=243

BlueDude

Apr 14, 2011
Add Market To The New Craig Froyo Update ( Anyone Know How To Do It? )

TIPSTER or (anyone else)
Can you tell me an simple way to Add The Android Market to the New Craig CMP738a 2.2 Update?

I have your 228 Power App Pack . (Including Android Market.apk, MarketUpdater.apk, z4Root, EasyRoot)
I just don't know how to Root or Install The market.
Any Help Would Be appreciated

Ding Berry

Apr 7, 2011
Is if worth updating? I have a spare CMP738a (bought two at $73 + tax). I was gonna give one away to a family member or maybe just take it back. If I could get three people to chip in $20, I might give it to shadowreaper at xda. Since he broke his, looks like there will be no more custom roms. It might be good to keep Shad in the rom biz since Craig is coming out with so many new tablets.

BTW, is there any way to back up your whole system? I know you could do it with Clockwork on the Coby 7015. Also, anyone notice that BogoMIPS is reported at 311? This is nowhere near 700MHz. It's suspicious that Angry Birds plays so badly.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
This is different than the Coby 7015/7015A which uses update.zip so the image.img is inside that. Where as you have update.img. There are tools to get into the main files then you would add your market. Or just use Amazon App Market it getting to the point to of real market and it does do updates. Lite on resources. I got rid of my Craig on Monday no questions ask at 3 towns away CVS. Gave me back even more money and nice CVS Gift Card. I had also gone into PCRichards & Son such a bargain hunter as me got the manager to take off more money on the 7015A by Coby was on sale for $139 got it for $129 and the 16GB microSDcard Class 4 for $30 instead of $40.

Good Luck on OS 2.2 upgrade.
The Chip inside is RockChip RK2818 SoC (system on chip) You have 2D/3D (the 3D is weakest part) When compared to the Coby 7015 it's 2D/3D Samsung chip did better. Full 1080p an a glossy screen. Angry Birds now play great after rooting and patching it.

Last edited:

Ding Berry

Apr 7, 2011
Love 2.2! And the screen is way brighter. I always wondered why people never complained about the lack of brightness. Maybe mine was screwed up somehow. Definitely worth the update even without Market. Just d/l a big pack of apps off TPB.

The Coby is faster and has a better screen but no volume controls. Battery life is better but it's heavier. The wifi reception on my Coby was poor. The Craig's is as good as my laptop's. And now the Craig has 2.2!

Edit: found Zeam 2.8.8 here http://www.mediafire.com/?11d3omhqkqr2f1m

Last edited: